Moving to another department

Florida Dawg

Former Cart Attendant Pro and Target Employee
So I’ve been a cart attendant/front of store attendant for 4 months, Did my 3 month review saying I’m able to stay but somehow still considered seasonal. Who’s the best person to talk to about moving to a different department and what dept do y’all recommend? I’m looking into electronics and market the most.

Talk to the TL/ETL of those area's and your direct TL/ETL. They may work something out.
I heard someone recommended to not talk to your current Department ETL or HR and that you talk to someone thats head of a different department. At my location they said to speak to one person who’s in charge of logistics and moving departments as well I believe.

I would NOT go to your current ETL or HR about changing depts as it would be VERY awkward (why do you want to move?) & you'll likely get shot down.
Focus on burnishing up your performance to become the type of TM whose talents would 'be a waste' as a cart attendant.
Become a TM other depts WANT to have on their team.

Update: A couple of days ago I spoke to the department boss at Market and he said he doesn’t have any positions available currently but he said eventually would have a convo with me about maybe moving there in the future.

Its best to always put out feelers like that, that way if say someone in market goes on vacation or they just need extra help they think of you. I agree with redeye though, not that cart attendant isnt a demanding or important job, but be the person who they deem wasted as a cart attendant and theyll move you. If you show initiative, ask for more shifts even outside of cart attendant to get your foot in the door and training in other areas. Just be aware current team members trying to move departments are going to have much higher expectations then a new person. They will want you to be the best cart attendant and prove yourself there even though the jobs are different.

If you are already up front I would try to get cashier training. That way you could pickup electronics shifts and go from there.

In market you could try to pickup a shift or two there once they you know how to pull manuals, back stock, etc.

My store will only SCHEDULE ME in market but let me pickup up other shifts in Electronics, OPU, etc.

If you are already up front I would try to get cashier training. That way you could pickup electronics shifts and go from there.

In market you could try to pickup a shift or two there once they you know how to pull manuals, back stock, etc.

My store will only SCHEDULE ME in market but let me pickup up other shifts in Electronics, OPU, etc.
I already know everything up front except returns since I joined in late March.

Have you tried to pick up other shifts? Do you know how to do opu, drive ups or gs?
I know all of that except returns and the special needs from guests at the front desk that don’t inquire returns or order pickup. And I haven’t because the people who have tried to switch with me, I’m already working and most positions are filled. We have so many people at my store.

Back