Archived Music at my store kept cutting off at my store during a certain song and the PA speakers went "ding".

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a time at my store this morning when the music cut off the PA speakers went "ding" music came back on cut off again and the PA speakers went "ding". This kept happening throughout a certain song. It would cut off and the speakers would ding. An employee was jokingly saying that someone was calling on the phone and no one was answering. When the dinging stopped the employee jokingly said they hung up and was wondering if they were gonna call back.

It's the button outside for team members to get inside in the morning. Or someone has found the extension that triggers this noise. (It exists I watched someone dial it)

Before Zebraphone, the FRAs would put the phone system on night service when they had to step away. The phone would then set off that ding noise over the PA when a call came in, to let them know they needed to get back to the desk to answer it.

At night the intercom would ring like that so that the LOD could hear and go answer the phone.

Sometimes they would forget to take it off night call and it would do it in the morning while guests were in the store.
Embarrassment would ensue.

Last edited:
Before Zebraphone, the FRAs would put the phone system on night service when they had to step away. The phone would then set off that ding noise over the PA when a call came in, to let them know they needed to get back to the desk to answer it.

Beat me to it.

Why was there embarrassment?
At night the intercom would ring like that so that the LOD could hear and go answer the phone.

Sometimes they would forget to take it off night call and it would do it in the morning while guests were in the store.
Embarrassment would ensue.

I never understood why the night ringer triggered the ETLs so badly, it's just a sound that no guest ever gave a fuck about
I don’t know about your store but mine was soooo loud and super annoying but definitely shit happens so I agree idk why everyone gets so upset when it happens every now and then

I guess some stores have obnoxious buzzers/chimes but my stores' was/is a mellow doing-doing-doing number, nowhere near as annoying as the ear-piercing honk honks

It bothers upper Leadership because that’s usually a guest that we aren’t helping if we aren’t getting the call. The same way they want us to get guests out the door quickly once they go to checkout they want us to quickly answer the phones to assist guests there too. Every ding is another moment that the guest has to wait, which is not the Target way at all 🙄

I never understood why the night ringer triggered the ETLs so badly, it's just a sound that no guest ever gave a fuck about
Au contraire, Pierre. Many times guests have asked in a panicky tone if it was a fire alarm or something.

The operator phone broke a few months after I started, requisitioned replacements didn't work, we simply liberated other handsets and picked up from the night bell. By the time someone figured out how to forward the phone to the other handsets, the long term softlines folks were in the habit and didn't put a lot of priority into learning new forwarding numbers, the new folks didn't know any other way, and leadership was used to the dings. At the end of my time there, people were actively refusing to learn to forward directly to handset or zebra. When I go shopping, there's still dings overhead and the guests around me don't seem to notice at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back