Archived Music on overhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguyattarget

SFS/OPU Master
Lately I've had early shifts and noticed they play music on the overhead. Why can't they do this normally?! I worked retail before and we did and it was a great to sort of drive sales. Customers would hear and like and want it but otherwise it's so quiet unless it's busy.

Btw, the overnight songs/playlists are a bit raunchy. Funny when you hear a text tone in between.

When the store is closed they probably hook up the PA to someones player.
Otherwise except for some of the City stores Spot doesn't do music.

Yeah. I've had 4a and 630a shifts lately and it's either the radio or someone's phone. It'd be nice to have some music on the regular however.

I would much rather have the Backstreet Boys playing over the speaker than no music at all. Target should follow Kohl's and Belk's route and play "lite rock". That way no one gets "offended".

Besides, are you honestly going to tell me that you wouldn't want to be listening to "I want it that way" or "hip to be square" while zoning on the floor or pulling CAF batches in the backroom?

I've worked where they played music on the overheads and I promise you learn to hate the music.
Sure you can mentally block it out after a while but for someone like me who is deeply into music it can be madding.
At the grocery store they had Kenny G, and while I had never been a fan I hadn't loathed him until I had to listen to him in deep rotation.
Unless you work someplace where the music isn't on a loop or it's close to your tastes it will drive you crazy.

At least in my store the only poor innocent soul who has to suffer through constant rotation of music is the electronics TM. That's one of the things I was glad to get away from. I would go home at night with every song stuck in my head and it drove me nuts! It still does every time I pass by the boat.

I like the concept, however I've worked in a store before where the music was on loop everyday and night. I worked there for over a year and could tell you what song is next and/or what time a certain song comes on.

Yeah, I've done the whole work in a store where the music is on all the time. Exactly how many times are you willing to listen to that Christmas song you hate in an 8 hour period? Once an hour? Then you're a better person than I am.

Of course if it would mean TMs would take off their headphones on the floor and Starbucks would turn off their music (which I can hear from the front end and is really enjoyable when food ave is playing something completely different) then maybe I might be interested.

In the end, it's a silly debate as it isn't up to us, anyway.

Or the commercials at 15min intervals. Pass I can enjoy the lack of music.

I wish there was ANY type of music playing in the restrooms!

I am so grateful target doesn't play music. My last job did and it was like the same 10 songs on repeat. It drove me crazy!!! And don't get me started on how early places play Christmas music.

One of the local radio stations started doing 24/7 broadcasts of christmas music a week before Halloween. I cannot fathom the mind of the person who would want to listen to Christmas music in October.

One of the local radio stations started doing 24/7 broadcasts of christmas music a week before Halloween. I cannot fathom the mind of the person who would want to listen to Christmas music in October.
The person setting up their seasonal/pop-up Christmas store?

Unless you work someplace where the music isn't on a loop or it's close to your tastes it will drive you crazy.

This. I can only deal with elevator music and top-40 bullshit for so long before I want to rip out my eardrums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back