Archived My insurance dropped me now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at a loss here:angry: I knew my hrs were bad but in my three going on 4 years I have never been dropped from my benefits. I have had horrible hrs in the past but never once was a I dropped. I keep hearing about COBRA but I know nothing about it:angry: How can they just drop me like that when in the past I have never had any troubles are they trying to get rid of me?

No, they aren't trying to get rid of you. They just don't care about you. They are trying to get every single dime they can out of team members and their benefits. They cut your hours until you no longer were allowed to get them.

COBRA is dead. They killed it off because apparently it worked. Politics in this country is screwed up.

No, they aren't trying to get rid of you. They just don't care about you. They are trying to get every single dime they can out of team members and their benefits. They cut your hours until you no longer were allowed to get them.

COBRA is dead. They killed it off because apparently it worked. Politics in this country is screwed up.

LOL ROFL. It worked???? One of my friends who quit signed up for COBRA to keep his Target insurance until he got a new job. Know how much he paid every month? over $400. Actually, his parents paid for it.

Who the hell has that kind of money to pay for insurance when *unemployed*? Damn, even* employed* no TM could afford that.

And that was like 4 years ago. Considering the cost has gone up every year since then, I don't even want to guess what it would cost now.

Evidently your hour avg dropped enough that they could drop your coverage.
COBRA is only if you get laid off & continue coverage from your former employer. You would be responsible for paying 100% of the premiums. And, no, it ain't cheap.

I know that and I WAS on COBRA. It gave me a month of insurance while I fought to get my job back and it cost me small fortune.

The less hours Target gives you...the less pay you get...and the less benefits Target has to pay for you. I think I see a pattern here.

Unfortunately, how things work is as a Team Member level employees, you have to maintain an minimum average hours of 20 per week, and most important you must be above 19.5 average hours when they do the all important, once a year, yearly calculation which I believe this year was done on January 3rd or 4th. So what they did was add up all the hours you worked from Dec 2010 to Dec 2011 then divided by 52 weeks, and that determines your eligibility for benefits, vacation, sick, personal, holiday hours, as well as medical, dental, optical, etc. If you feel your average hours are incorrect, you can ask the Target Benefit Center to do an average hours recalcuation, but if you didn't take any leaves of absence this year, your calcuation is probably correct. A good idea is when you work LESS hours in a week that your CURRENT monthly average hours calculation, you should USE and ADD some of your vacation or personal or sick hours to your workweek up to your average hours, so they don't drop any more! It's a good idea to express your interest in getting more hours to your friends, coworkers, supervisors, managers, etc whatever it takes to get up to 19.5 average hours. If you still aren't getting enough hours, you will probably either have to be cross trained to work some hours in another department, or even conceivably in another STORE if need be. =)
I am at a loss here:angry: I knew my hrs were bad but in my three going on 4 years I have never been dropped from my benefits. I have had horrible hrs in the past but never once was a I dropped. I keep hearing about COBRA but I know nothing about it:angry: How can they just drop me like that when in the past I have never had any troubles are they trying to get rid of me?

I forgot to address you COBRA question, Cobra is when you want to CONTINUE to have your current insurance plan, the one big exception is that Target will NO LONGER continue pay THEIR portion of YOUR health insurance premiums. So COBRA, which is a program to President Clinton passed, it's a nice option rather than losing your health insurance, but the problem is that it can be quite expensive.

I know when I left the company, they sent me a letter saying the COBRA for dental was $25 per month, up from $10 a month when I was employed. They never sent me a letter about the health insurance, but it's just as well since it would have been quite pricey. When you're unemployed, even $25 a month is a stretch.

I hear you, and even employed the cost of benefits can be quite unaffordable. Best of luck to you, don't forget to call the Team Member Life Resources Program, they are 24/7 and offer free benefits to all Ex-Target employees for up to 18 months after you leave the company. 877-616-0510 I believe is their number, or you can go to their webiste, www.guidanceresources.com They offer personal and family assistance, legal and financial assistance, discounts, you should really look into taking advantage of whatever services they have that could benefit you.
I know when I left the company, they sent me a letter saying the COBRA for dental was $25 per month, up from $10 a month when I was employed. They never sent me a letter about the health insurance, but it's just as well since it would have been quite pricey. When you're unemployed, even $25 a month is a stretch.

I hear you, and even employed the cost of benefits can be quite unaffordable. Best of luck to you, don't forget to call the Team Member Life Resources Program, they are 24/7 and offer free benefits to all Ex-Target employees for up to 18 months after you leave the company. 877-616-0510 I believe is their number, or you can go to their webiste, www.guidanceresources.com They offer personal and family assistance, legal and financial assistance, discounts, you should really look into taking advantage of whatever services they have that could benefit you.

Thank you for the information but this was almost three years ago. I work elsewhere now and I just got benefits through them. I didn't realize I could have still called them even after leaving the company. I pay less for the insurance but I also get less coverage. I still get almost nothing with regards to paid time off even after being there almost two years.

Sorry to hear that your new insurance isn't as good as it should be, many employers offer many different plans, they may have a plan that costs a little more per month, but has smaller copays, lower coinsurance, and smaller maximum out of pocket costs. Also don't forget that most employers offer FSA's (Flexible Spending Accounts) where you can set aside Tax Free sums of money from your paycheck to pay for medical, dental, vision expenses, and another account you can make for daycare expenses.
Thank you for the information but this was almost three years ago. I work elsewhere now and I just got benefits through them. I didn't realize I could have still called them even after leaving the company. I pay less for the insurance but I also get less coverage. I still get almost nothing with regards to paid time off even after being there almost two years.

I love Target but this kinda irks me I know they have to do it but come on...... My schedule is wide open I am cross trained in food avenue, cashiering, sales floor,price change but I never seem to get the hrs.

Unfortunately, how things work is as a Team Member level employees, you have to maintain an minimum average hours of 20 per week, and most important you must be above 19.5 average hours when they do the all important, once a year, yearly calculation which I believe this year was done on January 3rd or 4th. So what they did was add up all the hours you worked from Dec 2010 to Dec 2011 then divided by 52 weeks, and that determines your eligibility for benefits, vacation, sick, personal, holiday hours, as well as medical, dental, optical, etc. If you feel your average hours are incorrect, you can ask the Target Benefit Center to do an average hours recalcuation, but if you didn't take any leaves of absence this year, your calcuation is probably correct. A good idea is when you work LESS hours in a week that your CURRENT monthly average hours calculation, you should USE and ADD some of your vacation or personal or sick hours to your workweek up to your average hours, so they don't drop any more! It's a good idea to express your interest in getting more hours to your friends, coworkers, supervisors, managers, etc whatever it takes to get up to 19.5 average hours. If you still aren't getting enough hours, you will probably either have to be cross trained to work some hours in another department, or even conceivably in another STORE if need be. =)

ETL posts are always so easy to pick out. Hey Miguel, how's the kool aid?

I love Target but this kinda irks me I know they have to do it but come on...... My schedule is wide open I am cross trained in food avenue, cashiering, sales floor,price change but I never seem to get the hrs.

Here, let me give you the Target is GOD answer:

Well, first I see some other opportunities for cross-training for you. You've listed quite a few but there's still a few left available to make you that much more versatile: cart attendant, in stocks, produce (not working at a Super? well, you should cross train anyway in case they decide to remodel), Starbucks (once again, even if your store doesn't have one it might at some point in the future so we're gonna need you to get on that), backroom, reverse logistics, SFT, HR, as well as every ETL position and the STL.

Are you checking your store's swap shift board? There's always people who want to give up their shift and since you're trained in every area now there's really no excuse why you can't pick up every shift listed on that board.

You see, at this point you're only making excuses as to why you haven't been scheduled enough hours to be receiving benefits. Please see your off-stage area for various posters and signs encouraging you to make less excuses and be accountable for your actions.

Last edited:
I think we should be in here encouraging our colleagues into finding ways to improve their lives, career, pay, benefits, etc. Not use Target Jargon to judge others like "be accountable" please at nothing an hour you can hardly blame a hardworking employee from being discouraged
ETL posts are always so easy to pick out. Hey Miguel, how's the kool aid?

Here, let me give you the Target is GOD answer:

Well, first I see some other opportunities for cross-training for you. You've listed quite a few but there's still a few left available to make you that much more versatile: cart attendant, in stocks, produce (not working at a Super? well, you should cross train anyway in case they decide to remodel), Starbucks (once again, even if your store doesn't have one it might at some point in the future so we're gonna need you to get on that), backroom, reverse logistics, SFT, HR, as well as every ETL position and the STL.

Are you checking your store's swap shift board? There's always people who want to give up their shift and since you're trained in every area now there's really no excuse why you can't pick up every shift listed on that board.

You see, at this point you're only making excuses as to why you haven't been scheduled enough hours to be receiving benefits. Please see your off-stage area for various posters and signs encouraging you to make less excuses and be accountable for your actions.

Thats one reason why I left. The benefits were continuing to suck. You had to pay in more to get less. And minimum hours to maintain benefits.

I would start searching real hard for a new job, your starting over now anyways might as well be a place you might have a future at.

I wish you all the best with this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back