Archived My Pedometer says that I've walked 2,012,276 steps inside Target in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

talan123

Team Member/Troll
Some interesting statistics:

• Distance wise, with a step length of ~2.75ft, I walked 1,048 miles inside my store. Ouch.
  • Flow team w/ 4 hour shift: averages about 4,000 steps the first two hours of unloading a truck (As a bowler, on the line it is about 1,000).
  • Cashier shifts tend to be all over the map, from 2,000 steps to 6,000 over an 8 hour shift depending on how one's shift is going, that is the most variation of any of the positions.
  • An average salesfloor day is approximately 7,700 steps from around 8AM to 4:30PM or a step every 3.5 seconds at our Target's electronic boat.
  • As a closer, you tend to walk 500 to 1000 extra steps a day.
  • The day after Thankgsgiving, I walked 8,572 steps or 4 and 1/2 miles while I was stuck at the boat.

Yeah, signing is probably the most "Moving" role you can have.

/Yeah, I'm not proud of that one.

funny, i tried to wear a ped when i first started working here, but it wasn't a good one, it never logged my steps right.

I also have my schedules from each of those days (I just take a photo of the schedule and keep it on my phone and then later on it get's backed up.) This could be the largest collection of completely useless information I have ever accidently put together.

RE: Backroom.
I log between 20,000 - 24,000 steps for a mid or closing shift. Pretty much non-stop activity @ a busy store.

RE: Backroom.
I log between 20,000 - 24,000 steps for a mid or closing shift. Pretty much non-stop activity @ a busy store.

Hokey smokes Bullwinkle! I complain about 15,000-17,000 for the same shift. I only do 10,000-12,000 when i work in the morning.

Don't know how many steps but, when I first made GSA, I clocked 5.65 mi during an avg shift (7.5-8 hrs). Considerably more if I had no back-up.

yhea thats why mechanics have chariots, the building is to big to try and walk. Then again that may be why most of us are a bit to rotund.

I can just imagine what LODs log. That is, mobile LODs that actually go out onto the floor to assist TMs and address guest concerns, not the stationary ones that sit in the TSC all day.

I remember I used one of these and I got over 16,000 steps in one of my cart attendant shifts and it was actually a slow day :/

Sorry to revive an old thread but curiosity got the best of me today. I was the only GSTL from 3:30 on, on a Saturday where we did a little over $300,000 which is pretty average for us. Two hours into my shift I bought a pedometer. I average about 1 mile every hour while speedweaving 24 lanes in the straight line configuration. I never thought it would actually be that much...

The other TL in the backroom wore one for a while. After 8½ [gross] hours, the daily average for distance traveled was 10 miles. In our backroom, all of our upper casepack shelves are in use, plus we in the backroom are solely responsible for pushing caf. So, we do a lot of walking, one way AND another.

Back when they first rolled out "Wellness", they invited some of us to wear pedometers & see how much we clocked in a typical shift. The good news? we were all putting in several miles a day.
The bad news? They bought cheap pedometers & we wore them out quickly & the program was dropped.

Cart Attendant and Backroom probably win this game.

When working at Food Ave constant basis, I usually loss weight fast as I go home hating to eat food since I just worked with it.

Back when they first rolled out "Wellness", they invited some of us to wear pedometers & see how much we clocked in a typical shift. The good news? we were all putting in several miles a day.
The bad news? They bought cheap pedometers & we wore them out quickly & the program was dropped.

Probably bought those SSS ones when they were on clearance. Those things never worked right even when they were new.

Working in the backroom at my store, we have to push our own hourly pulls. For a typical 7.5-hour shift, I log around 12 miles, so about 1.6 miles of walking per hour.

I had one for a while, albeit a freebie from my other job, and I was averaging about 15,000 steps during a 4 1/2 hour shift, which works out to about 7 miles....need to buy a good one one of these days....

Employers like Target can get a pre-packaged exercise tracking program for their employees through Virgin HealthMiles.

The program features employee-issued pedometers that automatically record daily steps and daily active steps (greater than 130 steps/minute), uplinked to a tracking web site via USB and software on the employee's home computer. Meeting activity goals results in rewards of gift cards, up to $150/year. The program pays for the first pedometer, with replacements for broken or lost units costing about $30 (though they sometimes offer special reduced prices of as low as $10 throughout the year). The pedometers are pretty rugged, so it's more likely you might lose one versus break it.

It might be a hard sell to Target for the expense, or because many employees might not have computers or Internet connections, or that most Target store employees don't have much trouble meeting the step quotas every day (versus encouraging sedentary office workers to get out of their cubicles).

I'm not with Virgin HealthMiles, but I have held jobs at employers that offered this benefit to employees. Wearing the pedometer throughout the day, and working at Target, plugging it in at home each night, I logged over 4 1/2 million steps last year, including 33,000 on Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back