My STL is saying I quit even though I never quit

So here's my story. I'm a student that's been working at Target part time for the past 4 years. Recently, our STL and ETL-HR left the store. We got a new STL and still do not have an ETL-HR. So literally most of the HR operations is done through the STL and she doesn't understand anything. Anyway, I'm a student that normally goes on leave around August for college. But the STL told me Target got rid of Educational Leave of Absences. She also told me I'm not eligible for "On Demand" either due to attendance. After she told me this, I remember saying "Okay" and hung up the phone.

After this, I contacted the corporate human resources number and they suggested I go on a "Personal Leave of Absence". So I call back my Target the next day, and the STL isn't in the store. Instead, I talk to somebody that is working HR that day (Not an ETL). I ask her for a personal leave of absence and she says "OK, let me fill out a form for you". She does that and says I'm good to go if it's approved. She also told me I was taken off the schedule and I have no more scheduled shifts since I was leaving for college a couple days after that day.

So a month later, I call back Target and ask if my personal leave was ever approved. The STL says I'm terminated because "I resigned". What the fuck. I never ever fucking said I resigned. Those words literally never came out of my mouth. The last time I spoke with the STL, she said I can't take an Educational Leave of Absence and literally my last word to her was "Okay" before hanging up. Did she interpret my "Okay" as "I resign?". BECAUSE THAT'S LITERALLY NOT WHAT I FUCKING MEANT

And if I were to resign, don't I have to fill out a form saying I'm quitting? Can she just say I quit when there's literally no proof I quit? I literally talked to a girl working HR a month ago asking to go on a Personal Leave. Why was there no communication???

TLDR : The STL is incompetent and we don't have an ETL-HR and the only job I have ever known for 4 years is gone. Does anybody have any advice for me. I'm seriously depressed it had to end this way

Last edited:
You need to call the HRBP for your district and clamly explain the situation to them. They are your best resource. Unfortunately, this is a very Target thing to do. Unfortunately, this is a very Target thing to do. My store has always approved educational LOA's because they had to. However, if someone with iffy standing with leadership, say for attendance issues, asked for availability changes for classes, those might be denied as an easy way to get rid of a TM without bothering to performance them out. Now that educational LOAs are no longer a thing, they are doing the same thing with denying ODTM status as you need to be in good standing for them to accept the status change.

I believe the HR person, misinformed you somewhat as my unerstanding is that a personal LOA is limited to 90 days. It's not something you can use in lieu of an educational LOA. I could be wrong about that though.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this sounds like this is partially your fault. Attendance matters. If your attendance was not up to standards, that's on you. You gave them the opening to do this. But, call the HRBP and see if anything can be done.

I believe the HR person, misinformed you somewhat as my unerstanding is that a personal LOA is limited to 90 days. It's not something you can use in lieu of an educational LOA. I could be wrong about that though.

90 days is all I need. I'd be back in November. A personal leave of absence was the perfect way for me to come back.

And I had 4 call outs in a 3 month period. 3 of those times was because I was sick and thought I had COVID. It seems harsh to peg me for attendance when I was never coached about it. Nobody came to me and told me my attendance was an issue.

90 days is all I need. I'd be back in November. A personal leave of absence was the perfect way for me to come back.

And I had 4 call outs in a 3 month period. 3 of those times was because I was sick and thought I had COVID. It seems harsh to peg me for attendance when I was never coached about it. Nobody came to me and told me my attendance was an issue.

Well, that sucks. Are you sure they were happy with your work in general? it could be that they are using attendance as the excuse when it was more about other performance issues.

You'll probably need to call the store and ask for HRBP's contact info.

I have one question, what's a STL?

But seriously you are the second person to post an experience like this. It does sound like Target is using this as an excuse/way to get rid of team members who they don't want to deal with any longer.

In my opinion, you are negligent in this situation because you hung up by just saying "okay". A better follow up question would be, "what are my options?" The HR team member you spoke to probably talked to the SD about your personal leave request and the SD informed them that you had already been termed. Also if you were so concerned about your job why would you wait an entire month to call and see if it is approved? I agree it isn't fair and it sucks but the blame isn't fully on Target.

In my experience it's always better to have these types of interactions in person. I ALWAYS suggest team members come into the store when they have any type of question similar to this.

You live and you learn, but I am sure if it has been over a month since the SD termed you, it's very unlikely you will get your job back. Maybe reapply, I know at my store they are desperate for people and aren't even allowed right now to term anyone for any type of attendance issues because we are so short staffed.

In the other thread I warned you the SD could be trying to trick you into quitting. Maybe you should have followed up asap rather than letting it sit at least two weeks. Remember for your next job.

I feel bad for you but you seemingly waited till the last minute to figure out your school situation. You also should of followed up with you store about the loa sooner as well. If you didnt have any shifts its not technically job abandonment. Contact the hrbp and get it sorted. Good luck. Please take this as a learning lesson, and be proactive with situations like this you are an adult.

3 attendance misses in three months because you thought you had covid? That doesn't sound normal. I don't want to post what I'm really thinking.

This is what they’re going to say happened, and to be honest this seems fairly accurate anyway -

SD: “Educational LOAs don’t exist anymore. You are not eligible to become an On Demand TM. You can either keep working or quit.
You: “Ok.”

And that’s pretty much it. Work or lose your job.

I don’t think this was addressed yet. If they had you on the schedule after this conversation and you never showed up or called off, you may have job abandoned. If you have three no calls in a row it’s generally assumed that you have decided to quit.

I don’t think this was addressed yet. If they had you on the schedule after this conversation and you never showed up or called off, you may have job abandoned. If you have three no calls in a row it’s generally assumed that you have decided to quit.
I did address it in the other thread, that some leaders/management will bluff hoping the "fired" person will be tricked into job abandonment.

Back