Archived My store no longer working with team member's school schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.
So team members in school are basically being forced to quit.

Our store is basically going to shit.

Must have high unemployment in your area so they figure they can hire folks whose schedules they DON'T have to work around.
Otherwise, that just sucks.

I can't imagine how screwed I would be if our management decided they were going to stop working around school schedules. Actually, scratch that, I can't imagine how screwed they would be. They would force so many great team members out. Hopefully your leadership will snap out of it.

I know of at least one person who recently transferred in as a Brand TM who was basically told she might not have a job if she can't work during the day more than 2 days a week. One of the reasons I applied at target years ago was because they pitched themselves as flexible with scheduling. I think it must have to do,in part, with bare bones hours and staffing right now and that it's starting to become a situation where stores can't be flexible because there would be huge gaps in staffing during the day.

I remember I had to wait till after college to apply for a position because Lvl 2 and 3 positons required at least 2 weekday openings, 2 weeknight closings, and a rotating weekend schedule.

But if you are Front End or Salesfloor, and your store has ridiculous TM head counts, Target should be able schedule a TM around school schedules.

Last edited:
I hate to sound mean, but I have the only answer: if you don't like it, quit. Find another job. Remember that the company (ANY company) didn't hire you so they can work around your schedule and help you go to school. They are concerned with their needs.

I ran across this all the time, even in the military. I'm sorry, but schedules for work are built for the needs of the business, not the needs of the employees. I'm sure this will piss some people off, but it is just the way it is.

I remember I had to wait till after college to apply for a position because Lvl 2 and 3 positons required at least 2 weekday openings, 2 weeknight closings, and a rotating weekend schedule.

But if you are Front End or Salesfloor, and ridiculous TM head counts, Target should be able schedule a TM around school schedules.

At least two weekday openings? I'd kill for a schedule like that more than once in a blue moon.

I hate to sound mean, but I have the only answer: if you don't like it, quit. Find another job. Remember that the company (ANY company) didn't hire you so they can work around your schedule and help you go to school. They are concerned with their needs.

I ran across this all the time, even in the military. I'm sorry, but schedules for work are built for the needs of the business, not the needs of the employees. I'm sure this will piss some people off, but it is just the way it is.

Its not like Target is paying people "uber wages" anyway... The least they could do is work around TM's schedules, especially since a LOT of employees at the TM level are STUDENTS... Some still being in High School even. Most businesses will meet the needs of their employees in one shape or form, its not really hard for Target to work around school schedules since probably half their cashiers are still in high school/college... Lol.

You're absolutely correct but Target has always made a big deal about how they are supportive of the college students.
I don't think that has really changed changed, it's my guess that boredguy's store is badly managed and has issues that go beyond scheduling.

Are you seriously comparing the military to a retail job?

Are you seriously comparing the military to a retail job?

No. I've seen these situations in both civilian jobs AND the military. To me it was worse in the military as those who joined, supposedly to "serve their country" got mad when we would not adjust the schedules around their personal life. Work is work. Personal life is personal life. Personal life should only effect work only occasionally, not semester after semester.

The thing is, I think Target likes to hire younger TM's because they promote the same image and brand as the ETL's do...young, hip and trendy. If they eliminated all students from their stores, their workforce wouldn't be portraying the brand image they prefer. Plus, you get 'em while they're young, and some of them will stay on and work for years because they get comfortable and not whine about wages and whatnot because they don't know any better.

*two cents*

So team members in school are basically being forced to quit.

Our store is basically going to shit.

Unfortunately, this is basically the story of a few bad apples ruining if for everyone else.

My store is incredibly strict on this too, and actually requires TMs to bring in a letter of enrollment or transcript every semester. Why? Turns out there were a fair number of TMs who said they needed X days/times off for "school".... but weren't actually students.

In my years at Target, I have had more than a few TMs tell me on the side that they have never even been to college, but lie about it to get their preferred days/times off work.... and I think a lot of stores are starting to wise up to this scam now.

Now, is it bad that you want off for your personal preference? No... but lying about the reason it to get something you otherwise couldn't get approved is a problem.

My first job required a copy of your school schedule at the beginning of each quarter/semester. Worked out very nicely.

Unfortunately, this is basically the story of a few bad apples ruining if for everyone else.

My store is incredibly strict on this too, and actually requires TMs to bring in a letter of enrollment or transcript every semester. Why? Turns out there were a fair number of TMs who said they needed X days/times off for "school".... but weren't actually students.

In my years at Target, I have had more than a few TMs tell me on the side that they have never even been to college, but lie about it to get their preferred days/times off work.... and I think a lot of stores are starting to wise up to this scam now.

Now, is it bad that you want off for your personal preference? No... but lying about the reason it to get something you otherwise couldn't get approved is a problem.

This is what our store adopted as a result of abuse.
During my time in the front end, my schedule was jerked around because I had open avail & everyone else was 'taking classes'.

Students are part time employees. Part time employees shouldn't be expected to have open availability.

Students are part time employees. Part time employees shouldn't be expected to have open availability.

This. Especially when you're hired with the understanding that they know you're in school, and will do their best to work with you. It's not fair for the OP to have the rug pulled out from underneath them all of a sudden like that.

ALL TMs are part-time employees. The only people in the store guaranteed full time are execs and above.

Actually Team Leads and Sr. Team Leads are full time.

I think the key word is "guaranteed".... Technically, a TL or Sr TL could be cut to any number of hours. This actually happened at my store during the height of the recession and TL's (including me) were getting 30 hours or less for a few months. Our STL had to ask TL's with lots of vacation to help other out and use it so she could give more hours to the other TL's.

ETL's and above are salary.... so of course, even if they worked 5 hours, they would still be getting the same pay. Technically, they are the only ones who are "full time" no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back