Archived My TL needs help -- how do I tell them this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berry Red

Team Member
I just moved and transferred stores. I'm on the POG team, and so far it's really good. My TL is really nice and very flexible. They even let me shift my start time to later than the rest of the team because 6 AM wasn't working for me. They're also a Sr. TL, so they have LOD duties on top of the POG workload. They've been in the position for about six months, since the old one switched stores, and oversaw the overnights of the remodel that was completed in October.

Problem is, they seem to be having a hard time juggling everything. We're really behind on setting stuff -- I got there the second week of November and they hardly had any of the holiday set done. We just finished Toys on Monday -- we were so late all the aisles were untied and nothing was located until we finished the set. We haven't been setting any side caps, we haven't been doing all the revisions, and yesterday I realized that we missed an entire section of the store -- aisles and end caps -- that was supposed to set the week of the 6th. The whole section is empty and everything is untied now because it hasn't been set.

My ETL admitted she doesn't know as much about POG as she should, and my STL has only been around about a year -- nice guy, but couldn't set a POG if his job depended on it. So basically, there's nobody for my TL work with or anyone to follow up with them about the workload. Basically, my TL and I know more about POG than anyone else in the store (aside from the POG team, and their depth of knowledge isn't as much as ours).

I find myself in an odd spot -- I hate to see such a major process so broken. But I don't know how to approach anyone about it. I don't know if talking to my ETL or STL would help, and frankly, they should be supporting my TL much more than they are. So really, that's a problem for the DTL, and I'm torn on what, if anything, I should say to them about it. But there too, why aren't they noticing these when they visit?

On the other hand, I know this process was a well oiled machine at my old store, and I wish I could ask them for advice on how to make it work, but I don't want to be one of those "this is how my old store did it" team members. I know I could really help my TL out by overseeing the sales plans and side caps while they worry about the POG sets, but I don't know how to approach them about...well, all of this. Part of me says "screw it, this isn't your problem", but it IS my problem because it affects my job and it affects the store.

Advice? Suggestions? Help?

And yes, we have a POG team and got back the back room team, so we aren't doing Modernization to the extent that other stores are (which was the same at my old store as well).

I would have a hard time seeing my TL struggle, too. But, I'd also need to think hard before I offered to help because once it starts you'll be doing a part of their job and not getting paid for it and they get all the credit. Which you obviously know!! :)

I wouldn't involve your ETL or STL at this point. They have to be seeing the red metrics for Plano and are likely hearing from the DTL. I wouldn't be surprised to hear your TL has already has communication about it. Things just don't sit at red for long without someone asking why.

I think what I would do is get on Workbench and see what's coming up and only offer specific help on something coming up. I'd want to get a feel for how it goes in the short term and not commit to anything long term yet. It also would let your TL see that you know your stuff and can get it done.

As for reaching out to your old store, go for it. You don't have to tell anyone that is why you have such great ideas!! ;)

Very good advice! Thank you. The whole leadership team is visiting today, so maybe that will help. I didn't know about the red metrics (I should have though) but I'm not sure if it's red enough.

I do pricing tomorrow, so I might play dumb and say I found empty end caps and looked into it more. Might be the best approach.

Very good advice! Thank you. The whole leadership team is visiting today, so maybe that will help. I didn't know about the red metrics (I should have though) but I'm not sure if it's red enough.

I do pricing tomorrow, so I might play dumb and say I found empty end caps and looked into it more. Might be the best approach.

I do both, too! That's a good approach!! It let's you have the conversation without calling anyone out.

I just moved and transferred stores. I'm on the POG team, and so far it's really good. My TL is really nice and very flexible. They even let me shift my start time to later than the rest of the team because 6 AM wasn't working for me. They're also a Sr. TL, so they have LOD duties on top of the POG workload. They've been in the position for about six months, since the old one switched stores, and oversaw the overnights of the remodel that was completed in October.

Problem is, they seem to be having a hard time juggling everything. We're really behind on setting stuff -- I got there the second week of November and they hardly had any of the holiday set done. We just finished Toys on Monday -- we were so late all the aisles were untied and nothing was located until we finished the set. We haven't been setting any side caps, we haven't been doing all the revisions, and yesterday I realized that we missed an entire section of the store -- aisles and end caps -- that was supposed to set the week of the 6th. The whole section is empty and everything is untied now because it hasn't been set.

My ETL admitted she doesn't know as much about POG as she should, and my STL has only been around about a year -- nice guy, but couldn't set a POG if his job depended on it. So basically, there's nobody for my TL work with or anyone to follow up with them about the workload. Basically, my TL and I know more about POG than anyone else in the store (aside from the POG team, and their depth of knowledge isn't as much as ours).

I find myself in an odd spot -- I hate to see such a major process so broken. But I don't know how to approach anyone about it. I don't know if talking to my ETL or STL would help, and frankly, they should be supporting my TL much more than they are. So really, that's a problem for the DTL, and I'm torn on what, if anything, I should say to them about it. But there too, why aren't they noticing these when they visit?

On the other hand, I know this process was a well oiled machine at my old store, and I wish I could ask them for advice on how to make it work, but I don't want to be one of those "this is how my old store did it" team members. I know I could really help my TL out by overseeing the sales plans and side caps while they worry about the POG sets, but I don't know how to approach them about...well, all of this. Part of me says "screw it, this isn't your problem", but it IS my problem because it affects my job and it affects the store.

Advice? Suggestions? Help?

And yes, we have a POG team and got back the back room team, so we aren't doing Modernization to the extent that other stores are (which was the same at my old store as well).
The entire process is changing. No more pog tl soon anyway. Do nothing.

The entire process is changing. No more pog tl soon anyway. Do nothing.

Do nothing or just say to your TL “I noticed a few endcaps aren’t set. I would be happy to help or I am willing to work on anything you’d like me to set.”

Don’t go to the STL or DTL. Start with your TL.

You will probably have your hands full with the Beauty reset and all the market Revisions.

Just keep your head down and keep kicking ass. Sooner or later someone will notice where the consistency is when they take a deep dive into the whos and whys

I'm sorry but I don't agree with the advice of stay quiet and do nothing approach. Your store is not doing well, someone needs to be accountable, step up, and be pro active. TL needs to set aside his/her ego and listen to TMs if they feel a better process should be taken into consideration because surely there current approach isn't working. ETLs should always be in the know regarding plano workload if not their not a great leader. That's my opinion.

Definitely be supportive of what your TLs are doing. But I think that a private meeting with ETL would be a good time for a carefully worded "this is how we did it at T-XXX" conversation, maybe without mentioning the other store. Something along the lines of "I see we struggle with this part of the process. Would it be okay to try (other process) here and see how things go?". I think it shows that you're interested in improving, you have potentially useful ideas, and at the same time don't want to just take over or undermine your leaders.

Definitely be supportive of what your TLs are doing. But I think that a private meeting with ETL would be a good time for a carefully worded "this is how we did it at T-XXX" conversation, maybe without mentioning the other store. Something along the lines of "I see we struggle with this part of the process. Would it be okay to try (other process) here and see how things go?". I think it shows that you're interested in improving, you have potentially useful ideas, and at the same time don't want to just take over or undermine your leaders.

Great advice. The worst thing to hear is “we did it this way at my other store”. Well you’re not there any more. New stores way or the highway. Act like it’s your idea from the get go.

I agree on supporting your leader and suggesting maybe your old store’s process as your own ideas versus having them say that it was done at your old store. I would like to hope that your store has other TLs that run/care about their department to help them out with endcaps and sidecaps to say the least :confused:. I think since the DTL is probably in the loop regarding how poor the store is doing in regards to red metrics. A few stores in the district last year went through a really bad patch with Plano, had a few mini-planoramas to support and get them back on their feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back