myStore - For the myDeviceless TM

Please, seriously, tell us where you use the barcodes and let us make it better. Some things are process, some are problem, but as we mentioned on the phone, we want to address the real problems and not need alternatives in the first case. If it’s missing labels on things like carts or backroom locs, let’s get those fixed. If it’s process, we can take that back to the process owners and suggest changes.

Please, seriously, tell us where you use the barcodes and let us make it better. Some things are process, some are problem, but as we mentioned on the phone, we want to address the real problems and not need alternatives in the first case. If it’s missing labels on things like carts or backroom locs, let’s get those fixed. If it’s process, we can take that back to the process owners and suggest changes.
Could y'all get a functioning search (like target app/website) so we don't have to use our phones? that would be great. this has been an issue since mywork 1.0!

Could y'all get a functioning search (like target app/website) so we don't have to use our phones? that would be great. this has been an issue since mywork 1.0!
Yes. There are historical and uninteresting reasons why search is different between in-store and online, and it’s being looked in to since we have to make some changes at the request of the team who owns search. Can say when, just that it’s on the plate.

@HQWireless, when a mycheckout stop scanning labels or upcs is annoying.
I agree-- we need a way to manually "kill" the scanner and restart without a full reboot.

also-- @HQWireless can someone please bring back reset pin code in my settings??? some my devices have 0000 instead of normal pin and not being able to fix without full reset is super annoying.

Mostly use it to get backroom locations when they are missing or damaged. Sometimes i use it for a personal cart when i do ship alones and dont bring a cart or flat with me. I can see where there could be issues if people use it for the wrong reason i just dont tell anyone about it in my store. I dont use it often but its handy enough that i would miss it for sure

I agree-- we need a way to manually "kill" the scanner and restart without a full reboot.

also-- @HQWireless can someone please bring back reset pin code in my settings??? some my devices have 0000 instead of normal pin and not being able to fix without full reset is super annoying.
The auto pin reset not being available is an android limitation as of now, however your PML can reach out via Yammer or a CSC call and manually update it.

Last edited:
The auto pin reset not being available is an android limitation as of now, however your PML can reach out via Yammer or a CSC call and manually update it.
possible to do even if it's not automatic, like a button we have to manually press? like whatever button CSC presses to reset... can we? airwatch should be able to somehow as I assume it's a profile, no?

possible to do even if it's not automatic, like a button we have to manually press? like whatever button CSC presses to reset... can we? airwatch should be able to somehow as I assume it's a profile, no?
It cannot be done automatically after Oreo. There is manual changes the PML needs to do to actually set it (which are 95% the 'normal' android way of setting a pin).

I mean, at least at my store, the biggest reason that we have to use the barcodes (for products) is that we aren't allowed to hit All Items Scanned. We used to jump out of our batch and manually pull the item from the location, or audit the location, but since myDay pulls drop constantly, we can't do that or it'll add more items to our batch. So now we almost have to pretend we pulled it then go back and fix the location later. The reporting really needs to not snitch on which TM exposed an error or hit All Items Scanned.

The other thing that would help A LOT, which I know will never happen, is to have some way for the guests to show an item's barcode on their own device, like a "in store? show this to a team member for help" option or something. We don't want to look up items in the Target app ourselves since we'll get weird recommendations until the end of the time (I'm pretty sure Target thinks I have a baby and am female based on my searches for guests), and the myDay search usually isn't any help.

Last edited:
The issues are mostly process related.

The backroom location management feature from myWork needs major help.. please bring it into myDay somehow but improve it. SHP cart and backroom barcodes are constantly fading as they are used. SHP carts you can only have so many combinations.. we have already hit the maximum on that so you can’t create new ids and can only reprint ids already created. And to make matters worse if a backroom location won’t scan you CANNOT manually type in the location anymore so to do your epick, 1-4-1, take, or backstock you MUST go through the process described below or use a barcode generator. Plus backroom location labels (the really long skinny ones) are hard to find in my store. My store has multiple floors/backrooms so finding a printer that’s charged, getting backroom labels, reprinting the location, putting the printer back, then repeating for any other locations is a terrible process just to do a batch or pull.

Backroom location management may be shortened to BLM the rest of this post. Not to be confused with other meanings for the abbreviation.

Here’s why backroom location management in myWork sucks:
  • You cannot connect to a hip printer while in BLM and must connect to the printer from the myWork scan screen then actually go to the BLM menu in the sidebar.
  • Selecting cart as the location type the next button doesn’t light up until you click the drop down and select “Create” even though you are not able to create anymore cart ids.
  • There used to be “reprint” and “remove” options there but they don’t show anymore. For some reason you still need to select “create” (even though you just want reprint) to be able to proceed.
  • You will be hounded every time that there are no more ids you can create and to scan an existing parent cart instead (yes annoying I know)
  • Then repeat like 5 times because it’s unlikely to print the first time. (Our printers don’t like to work half the time either, it’s a struggle). Sometimes it will print the first parent cart label and stop printing giving you none of the child cart ids.
As for the myDay/myWork search being absolute garbage is also another issue which has also already been raised. The following needs improvement on search:
  • Having to pick the Dept or category (and calling the category “living” or “services” is confusing) because half the time it is irrelevant or I don’t know which it’s under (move that under a filter menu and update these categories to actually make sense). Men’s, kids, RTW for clothing for example
  • Filter in store only and online only (default to instore only)
  • Filter in-stock only
  • Filter to only tied items
  • Brand filter for apparel maybe (cat and jack, wild fable, etc)
  • Price range filters
  • Sort orders ascending/descending or like name/price
  • Speed improvements
  • Being able to go back to search easily after selecting something and have it remember where you were.
  • Fix the recent searches arrow button to prefill the search bar. Currently it actually completes the search instead of giving you the option to edit the search first. Look at how myWork does this.
Please also give Size and Color variation selections on item detail pages so I can see counts and item numbers easily.

Those things would be a good start for eliminating the need for other tools and apps or barcode generators.

Last edited:

The backroom location management feature from myWork needs major help.. please bring it into myDay somehow but improve it. SHP cart and backroom barcodes are constantly fading as they are used. SHP carts you can only have so many combinations.. we have already hit the maximum on that so you can’t create new ids and can only reprint ids already created. And to make matters worse if a backroom location won’t scan you CANNOT manually type in the location anymore so to do your epick, 1-4-1, take, or backstock you MUST go through the process described below or use a barcode generator. Plus backroom location labels (the really long skinny ones) are hard to find in my store. My store has multiple floors/backrooms so finding a printer that’s charged, getting backroom labels, reprinting the location, putting the printer back, then repeating for any other locations is a terrible process just to do a batch or pull.

Backroom location management may be shortened to BLM the rest of this post. Not to be confused with other meanings for the abbreviation.

• You cannot connect to a hip printer while in BLM and must connect to the printer from the myWork scan screen then actually go to the BLM menu in the sidebar.
  • Selecting cart as the location type the next button doesn’t light up until you click the drop down and select “Create” even though you are not able to create anymore cart ids.
  • There used to be “reprint” and “remove” options there but they don’t show anymore. For some reason you still need to select “create” (even though you just want reprint) to be able to proceed.
  • You will be hounded every time that there are no more ids you can create and to scan an existing parent cart instead (yes annoying I know)
  • Then repeat like 5 times because it’s unlikely to print the first time. (Our printers don’t like to work half the time either, it’s a struggle). Sometimes it will print the first parent cart label and stop printing giving you none of the child cart ids.
As for the myDay/myWork search being absolute garbage is also another issue which has also already been raised. The following needs improvement on search:
  • Having to pick the Dept or category (and calling the category “living” or “services” is confusing) because half the time it is irrelevant or I don’t know which it’s under (move that under a filter menu and update these categories to actually make sense). Men’s, kids, RTW for clothing for example
  • Filter in-stock only
  • Price range filters
  • Speed improvements
  • Being able to go back to search easily after selecting something and have it remember where you were.
  • Fix the recent searches arrow button to prefill the search bar. Currently it actually completes the search instead of giving you the option to edit the search first. Look at how myWork does this.
Please also give Size and Color variation selections on item detail pages so I can see counts and item numbers easily.

Those things would be a good start for eliminating the need for other tools and apps or barcode generators.
@HQWireless.

• Filter in-stock only
  • Price range filters
  • Speed improvements

@HQWireless

Good morning, and thanks for the tags, everyone.

I'm going to share this stuff back with the teams that can do stuff about them. For technical things like bugs and hardware insufficiencies, those usually go directly to the engineering teams that can address them. Process changes go to others, since that's bigger than the technology, even if you interact with the process on a myDevice. Just sharing since it splits out and needs the attention of different people who can move at different paces (it's usually easier to fix a bug than change a process). But, I will share it out today.

I just find it crazy that in the 4-5 years of myWork/myDay they have not been able to give us a decent search. The Target app for guests has better search and they expect me to help the guest find stuff.

it really shouldn’t be too much to ask to be able to efficiently search the items that are available in store lol.

half the results aren’t even things we sell anymore or are salvage. Why in the world would I want those results?!?!

• Filter in-stock only
  • Price range filters
  • Speed improvements

For reprinting existing cart IDs, hold locations, touch the magnifying glass while in BLM and type in what you want reprinted. It will verify you have the correct labels in and hit ok and it prints.

When I’m picking, I don’t have time to fight with a faded or damaged backroom label. Since we can’t type in locations, having that generator was a major plus. I’d rather not pull from the floor if I can help it so I’m not pushing up the 141s for GM. Of course, if were talking process improvements, are we ever going to be able to select a task from the list rather than skipping all the way around?

Honestly I like the devices with no pins. I just like it lets me lock the device right away without having to worry about it being active in my pocket or holster. I just wish there was a way to remove the pins from existing devices without a full reset (since the new ones no longer have pins)

The scanner problems are the bane of my existence. Here's the thing about them - the code Zebra gives us to integrate with the scanner is super finicky, so to work around that we wrote an Android service that manages talking to it, and then the individual apps talk to our wrapper instead. That works great, until there's a single app on the device that doesn't use it, integrates with the scanner directly, and doesn't properly disconnect. That leaves that component from Zebra in a bad state, and the only fix is a reboot. We've spent the last year converting teams over, and there's only one left, and they're working on it. I can't stand that the only fix is a reboot, but it really is.

I'm not familiar enough with the pin reset process, but I'll ask around about it.

@HQWireless Please move backstock to the Item Search screen, or find way to integrate it. Process terrible for having to update sales floor quantity in Item Search screen, then move over to backstock screen to actually backstock the item. Takes like 4/5 steps when it should take 2-3
I’m sitting here kind of floored that we don’t have a backstock option on the search page. That makes a ton of sense. I’ll post that in our chat today so the team can see it.

I’m sitting here kind of floored that we don’t have a backstock option on the search page. That makes a ton of sense. I’ll post that in our chat today so the team can see it.
Something like this considering we have a fill option

Attachments

• EA3A20C7-EFBD-4535-B614-D412480ADA62.jpeg
    EA3A20C7-EFBD-4535-B614-D412480ADA62.jpeg
    851 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back