Nationwide Entire Store Price Audit?

I saw something on Reddit suggesting there's been a flood identical complaints reaching the FTC so they are now looking. Probably just rumor, but plausible rumor.

Obviously this is a big big big task however as a consumer I am glad they are doing it... Working for the company I understand all the stresses and demands put on us. I get how price change doesnt happen and gets pushed to the back of the priority list. As a consumer its annoying when half of the damn things I buy in market at both Target and Walmart ring up a different price as I was expecting. I feel like every ad I am putting up sale signs and I would say 1% of the signs I put up are more expensive than the shelf label.

If we went through all of that malarkey for one error on wine, that's just ridiculous. I'm not saying that the question shouldn't have been raised (although wine isn't a necessity - contrary to what some wine lovers might think - so it's not price gouging in a legal sense), but to make such a huge, company-wide fuss over that? The particular product during this particular month makes it more noticeable and more politically sensitive, but still, it seems like a whole lot of overkill if that really was the impetus behind such an enormous task. (Although I'm not complaining about picking up a few extra hours to help get it done.)
Back optics for Target with a black owned business during Black History Month.

trying to wrap my mind around what the fuck corporate is doing. Modernization as it was called definitely a dreamer at work, probably one of the many HRBP influencers; if you've been on a zoom talent call, you know what I mean!! Covid only highlighted the issues that would surround the gaps created within Modernization. Price and Presentation happen nonstop through the year! maybe 10 of the 52 weeks a year is it light or nonexistent of workload. I know within my own store, GM/FB are constantly just activating label work, but never actually go up. The example of price change that is ridiculous ($39.99 to $40). Corp seems to have lost touch of what we are capable within a week in store considering volume size and allotted payroll. Between the half thought pogs they are creating, wasteful pricing changes, and DC freight push; they wonder why team members are at wits end. Seems like every 6-8 weeks we have to turn ship off &/or cancel trucks, can Target Corp take a hint!!

Speaking of half thought Pogs, I hope this makes them reconsider their new favorite game of placing two items in the same space on a shelf, sometimes with different prices. Worst offender this week- firebowls in ODL. Had to reconfigure half of it to have it make any kind of sense. And don't get me started on all the pegs I had to re-planogram in ODL because apparently it's too hard to image items & allocate space correctly when you work from home. 🙄

So many opportunities in stores to actually fix these issues, simple training for starters and yet we spend our energy running around putting bandaids on everything instead.

Last edited:
Maybe Target shouldn’t have gotten rid of the price change team.
I've been working at Target for a couple years now and I was dumbfounded from the beginning there's no UPC coordinator (title I'm familiar with in the grocery store industry). Keeping tags updated, weekly sales tags, signage, etc would be a full-time job for someone and I believe well worth it to Target. It's not like you're paying people a huge salary and by contrast I'd expect they are losing a lot of revenue by not having this position, not to mention guest irritation at checkout when they realize the price is not what was they expected (and money lost when guests push the point to get the price listed at shelf...when it's lower}

Last edited:
True. Then, we cut payroll this week to cover it.

But, now they are dumping more unsweepable, sure to be backstocked, freight on stores again this week. My store is being "favored" with two extra trucks next week. My store is truly fucked. Freight is already overflowing in the backroom. There are pallets everywhere. Today was a 2000 piece truck. Inbounds had to push so much freight free up vehicles that the unload did't start until 10:30. Half of Inbounds leaves at 11. Thus I found myself back on the line helping for the first time in 3 years. We got the truck unloaded finally. But, by then there were so few people in GM left in the store that almost nothing got pushed. I personally couldn't push because I got the rather fun task of doing all the NOP price change for all of GM.

We did get added hours for the week to handle the extra trucks, but a) There aren't enough good people to give those hours to, and b) most of those hours were already used thanks to a group level visit a couple of weeks ago.

The freight is truly ridiculous at my store. We just don't have room for all of it. It's ridiculous.

The price audit was a 24/7 thing throughout the weekend at my store, but we couldn't put more than a few people on at a time because you need someone who's actually competent and that leaves about 2-3 of us at a time during the day and...well, less than that overnight as our overnight people are largely useless.

No it’s because all Target cares about is metrics. And all of a sudden the DC is sending tons of freaking freight our way. Today it look like fourth quarter Christmas with the toys that we received in. Tons of furniture and home decor also. Supposed to be receiving even more in the next few days.
Hyfr. When I run A sort I only look at the metrics screen

Last edited:
True. Then, we cut payroll this week to cover it.
I had the impression that hours were added to complete this task, but then right, we're having to shave hours and watch that we don't go over our scheduled times. Like I had time to do a whole lot of extra scanning and not do the back stock that had been piling up all week, much less put up a temporary side cap and put out all the product for a new tower.
The DBO model suits me - I like having a variety of tasks instead of just pushing truck. But honestly, it's frustrating not having the time to zone my area. It always looks trashed now. Short guests (like me) can't reach product on top shelves. My collection of defectives and mark-down stuff accumulates. Still have a pile of NOP from when I re-set the OTC end caps that needs to be flexed out.
But there are no hours. If this really was my business, I'd be running it differently. And better, a lot better.

Looks like I better refresh myself on the price change process soon... I'm not someone that normally touches it. I felt when I tried to "help" with it in the past I'm just very slow but that was only ticketing clearance. Maybe I'll find a groove to speed myself up.

Attachments

• 584564BD-B38D-4C28-881B-5DF18B39D1E5.jpeg
    584564BD-B38D-4C28-881B-5DF18B39D1E5.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 48
  • F24840AC-3E18-4CC7-B652-47484A98FA69.jpeg
    F24840AC-3E18-4CC7-B652-47484A98FA69.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 47
Not sure if any other stores got a communication like this. I saw it Wednesday or Thursday that for the month of March, price change will be heavy, 45 to 50 hours weekly for pfresh stores and 50+ for super targets. The recommendation was to schedule 2 dedicated tms Wednesday through Friday to do the workload. There was other stuff in it, but those were the main take aways.
My thought...sure sounds like we need a pricing team again.

If i ever found a price that was off and they didn't want to ring out with me in tech i would tell them take a picture of the price that you found the item
I would just change it and let guest challenge price audit review it later. No reason to make the guest go through all that because Target can’t price correctly

I would just change it and let guest challenge price audit review it later. No reason to make the guest go through all that because Target can’t price correctly
The picture was just so the guest had evidence cause our cashiers don't carry radios for some reason. Plus its a pain in the ass to try to raise someone on radio for a price check... or the cashier might bounce them to guest services since they need to keep their line flowing.

So that's why i always tell people i can ring them out back here for that item if they wish... occasionally i tell them they can tell front end to call me in tech if they have a question.

The picture was just so the guest had evidence cause our cashiers don't carry radios for some reason. Plus its a pain in the ass to try to raise someone on radio for a price check... or the cashier might bounce them to guest services since they need to keep their line flowing.

So that's why i always tell people i can ring them out back here for that item if they wish... occasionally i tell them they can tell front end to call me in tech if they have a question.
The cashier shouldn’t be radioing or sending them to guest services. Instruct them to follow best practices and make it right for the guest. They should just change it. All that stuff can be checked later after the guest has left

The cashier shouldn’t be radioing or sending them to guest services. Instruct them to follow best practices and make it right for the guest. They should just change it. All that stuff can be checked later after the guest has left
Yup, i just don't know what our cashiers SOP is, so i try to Make it easy and right from my perspective being in tech. We also get a ton of scams so I'm used to dealing with that as anouther level of scrutiny. So many nefarious people think the tech desk isn't up on the latest scam when atleast in my store we are the hardest to get something by us.

Back