Archived Nearly taken out by a Scooter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reneeisxena

Retired
I've had a lot of different experiences with guests but I've never almost be rundown by one. On Friday I was busy cashiering and I had just stepped over to scan a guests pet food when I hear a crash and turn to see a different guest in a electric cart in the spot I usually stand. She had gone full speed into my register, moving it about an inch in the force of the crash. If it wasn't for the fact that only a second before I had stepped over to scan the cat food, I'd have been on my way to the ER. She was all apologetic and claimed she didn't know what happened. She was lucky no one got hurt. The woman was about 80 and quite dithery. :unknw: I've often thought that there needs to be training for some to use those carts. We could do it on a quiet day, set up cones in the side parking lot and make them have to be able to go through them without knocking them over or they don't get to drive the carts. I'm joking of course, but this incident really has freaked me out. I'm only 5' tall, if I hadn't moved in that one second before the crash, well I think I'd be either in hospital or on LOA recovering from injuries, the cart would have caught me just above hip level.

Ouch. The ones @ our store are junk and they are very slow. I can see the momentum of the cart causing some damage though..

Brings me back to my Quick Kart accident where our "Cart Door" wouldn't open as I was in front of 20-25 carts... broke my leg from it..

Omg i hate the eletric carts. People always knock down shelves, move racks or run into tables or people. I think we should just get rid of them but the 400 lb guests that use them would probably get mad and cause a scene.

Omg i hate the eletric carts. People always:huh: knock down shelves, move racks or run into tables or people. I think we should just get rid of them but the 400 lb guests that use them would probably get mad and cause a scene.

Because its our responsibility to cater to their mammoth size...

We have a couple in their early 30's that comes in at least once a month. The woman probably weighs 400lbs+ and her husband is easily over 500lbs. They are the biggest pain. First thing they do when they get here is shout for someone to bring them electric carts. Once they get there carts their trip then moves to food Ave where they usually both get a hotdog and popcorn combo, I've even spotted a pretzel before. They drive through the store dropping food and literally blocking whole racetracks, forcing other guest to go down aisles to get around them. Not only that but they spill food and throw empty cups on wrappers on nearby arm level shelves. When the electric carts battery eventually loses energy after hauling their big asses around for an hour and a half they start screaming for a new one. I always dread their visits.

I had a guest take out the fitting room rack and our hanger bin last night (she needed the cart, broken foot). Scared the bejeezus out of me.

I had a regular actually hit me with one when we first opened our store. It was about 3 years ago, but I still remember that I was working a pull in dog food. Apparently I was in the way. She hit me (and this was when the smart karts were brand new, so they had speed), I went down, stayed down, and she had the nerve to ask me to grab something off the top shelf. First, I'm too short to reach the top shelf. Second, OUCH! I got to go home early though because of massive bruising and slight concussion.

You wuz hit by an "entitlement queen"!
Be glad she didn't leave wheel marks on your khakis.

Ok, I just want to say, Please don't judge all large people by some lazy idiots. When we got married my husband was over 500 lbs, he wouldn't dream of using what he calls a "scootie bug" to shop just because he was too big. On the insistence of his doctor he went on a mission to lose weight. In less than 7 years he has dropped down to around 325, still large but also still losing. I also have a friend who has health problems that makes her gain weight and when you're big it puts a strain on joints and heart so she uses an electric cart. Unless you've gone a mile in an obese person's shoes, please don't judge them.

Never had a problem with big people on the scooters.
Now the old folks who seem forget which one is forward and which is reverse or take very wide corners can be dangerous.

I've had a lot of different experiences with guests but I've never almost be rundown by one. On Friday I was busy cashiering and I had just stepped over to scan a guests pet food when I hear a crash and turn to see a different guest in a electric cart in the spot I usually stand. She had gone full speed into my register, moving it about an inch in the force of the crash. If it wasn't for the fact that only a second before I had stepped over to scan the cat food, I'd have been on my way to the ER. She was all apologetic and claimed she didn't know what happened. She was lucky no one got hurt. The woman was about 80 and quite dithery. :unknw: I've often thought that there needs to be training for some to use those carts. We could do it on a quiet day, set up cones in the side parking lot and make them have to be able to go through them without knocking them over or they don't get to drive the carts. I'm joking of course, but this incident really has freaked me out. I'm only 5' tall, if I hadn't moved in that one second before the crash, well I think I'd be either in hospital or on LOA recovering from injuries, the cart would have caught me just above hip level.

Yours go that fast?:huh:

On the subject of elec carts, I'm sure many have been reamed out by guests for not having enough/working carts. I always want to ask them why they don't bring their OWN CART if they've complained multiple times.
One guest chewed my a$$ off, saying evidently Target doesn't want her business (not if you're like this all the time, lady).
(It wasn't all bad, tho. My pants fit better for awhile until my butt grew back.)

We had some teenagers come in and decide to joyride in them one night and basically wreak havoc around the store...and NOBODY had the cojones to tell them to stop because "we weren't busy and they weren't really bothering anyone".

That was, until they almost hit ME as I was walking out of an aisle. I told them in no uncertain terms to get their over privileged arses out of the carts, clean up the messes they had made, and get home before I called their parents and made THEM come do it. They actually DID! ;)

I realize I could've gotten in BIG trouble for "overstepping my bounds", but I would NEVER let my kids act like that and would beat them senseless if I EVER found out they did (not really, but they'd be in BIG TROUBLE). They're lucky it was ME they almost hit and not an actual guest because the store would've been in major trouble for not nipping it in the bud. Oh, and I never mentioned it to anyone at work, either ;)

On the subject of elec carts, I'm sure many have been reamed out by guests for not having enough/working carts. I always want to ask them why they don't bring their OWN CART if they've complained multiple times.
One guest chewed my a$$ off, saying evidently Target doesn't want her business (not if you're like this all the time, lady).
(It wasn't all bad, tho. My pants fit better for awhile until my butt grew back.)

They expect us to have like 10 of them ready to go.

Love this! The kids who shop my store seem to lose IQ points when they shop in groups. They turn into rude little beasts who need to pull up their pants or wear shirts that actually fit. Grrrrrr...some people's kids.

It's 'cause they're trying to impress each other as to who can be the most crass.
Gives the term "How low can ya go" new meaning.

The damage those carts do to the store and other people has to outweigh what those guest buy. I say we offer wheelchairs and do away with the motorized carts..

The damage those carts do to the store and other people has to outweigh what those guest buy. I say we offer wheelchairs and do away with the motorized carts..

Our store offers both options. I think I've only ever seen the wheelchairs get picked maybe 3 times.

I got cart stories

While I was gathering a line of carts from the side of the store, a lady drove up next to me telling me to bring her one of the electric carts out to the handicapped spaces after she parks her car. I told her sorry but the electric carts (the old ones) are not allowed outside of the store due to safety and maintenance concerns. She offered me $10 bucks. And still said, I am sorry I just can't... She got all puffy asking how she was going to get into the store and saying she was going to complain. My ETL-GS apologized to the guest but confirmed that the carts are not allowed to exit the store.

I wasn't working this day. I wish I was from the story I got...But somehow a guest drove one of the old electric carts outside without anyone noticing. As she was crossing the crosswalk, a speeding car came through and hit the electric cart's basket and pushed the old lady off the cart. The lady was fine other than shock. But the cart's basket was torn off. And people wonder why they can't leave the store.

Our wheelchairs have come in handy for transporting the cashier who fainted at her register (NEVER lock your knees), the guest who twisted her ankle (fell off her platforms), the little old lady who felt light-headed after taking medication & needed to sit down & so on.
Sometimes, guests park Grandma in the wheelchair (not good at the controls of an elec cart) & she holds a basket in her lap.
I wish we could keep our elec carts inside. They're usually left next to the handicapped spots, switched on, baking in the sun.

Almost every single overweight guest who comes past the bakery table in a cart ends up clipping the edge and moving the whole table across the floor. Every time! Absolutely maddening.

All Guests drive the electric cars to the handi-capped spots. I wish someone at my store enforced the no electric carts in the lot rule.

We do allow guests to drive the carts outside as long as a team member goes with them to return it inside. This is only for guests who are parked in the handicapped spots, they aren't allowed to ride around in the parking lot on one.

As for how fast ours go, we have 2 an old one that just plods along and a newer one that goes like ****e off a shovel. It was the new one that nearly got me. We all hate the older one because when it's standing still it will beep as if it's backing up. There must be some kind of short in the controls. But it's quite annoying when the guest is checking out and the thing is going "beep, beep, beep............." Some guests will just shut it off till they're done checking out.

My pet peeve about the electric carts is that no one who uses them will plug them back in when they are done. How do they think they are going to charge up for the next guest? Magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back