Archived Need help with just about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started working at Target last summer as a cashier, and my training was virtually non-existent -- they had me watch an experienced TM ring people out for 2 hours, I took my first 15, and then they put me on a register by myself for the rest of the shift. I never got any info on specific rules/regulations, no explanation of resources (eHR, myTime, Workbench (don't even know what this is, but it's mentioned a lot here and on official Target sites)), and basically no guidance whatsoever. I only worked for a few months before I took a LOA to attend school for the year. Now I'm back, and I'm just as unprepared and confused as before; maybe even more so since policies that I did know/understand have seemed to change.....

My question to you all is what should I know in order to be successful at Target? I know the basics of cashier-ing, like scanning items, looking up codes, the little white Target tag on clothes, coupons, Cartwheel, blah blah. But if you guys could just give me the gist of some bigger things, like company policies (!!!!), that are super important but somehow got neglected during the 4 hour "orientation" I had, that would be amazing <3

Biggest questions:
  • eHR -- what is it for, which sections can I access where/when, etc
  • Workbench -- what is it, and is it even something I need to know about?
  • attendance policies -- how do you call out? what counts as a no call/no show vs call/no show vs excused?
  • annual reviews -- I've seen a couple threads about work performance reviews but I've never heard anything about them... do they really exist?

Sorry this post is longer than the line at Guest Services in December, and thanks to everyone who stuck with it the whole way through :)

Ehr & workbench are on the computers at tsc where you clock in.
On policies & reviews, ask your tl or hr.
It is highly suggested to ask your questions to your TL or hr. Every store is different. A lot of things have changed in the last few months. Also, ask for retraining on cashier &'updating your training modules.

eHR is where you would fix any punch corrections, ask for days off, or check your pay stub if you get direct deposit. You can check this out on one of the work computers.
Workbench is where you will find computer training, sales figures, reports, etc. Aside from training, you most likely won't need to go on there.
To call in, call the store and ask for the LOD. Tell him what your scheduled shift is, and that you won't be able to come in. Call at least 2 hours ahead if possible. No Call/NoShow is if you don't come in and don't call within 2 hours of your scheduled start time. So, if you are scheduled at 8 and call at 10:15, that is a No Call/No Show. Excused absence will vary by store. Could include Dr note, family emergency, etc.
Annual performance reviews do exist. You could ask your GSTL about it. Because you were on LOA, they probably didn't write one for you.
As for policy changes, I think it would be a good idea to speak with your GSTL or maybe a GSA. Just say you have been on leave for a pretty long time, and want to be sure you are up to date on everything.

Sounds like training has had a breakdown at your store. Mention it to your STL or HR directly and don't spread it around. Trainers need to be retrained to train sometimes. Sucks you got the shit end of that stick.

1. eHR is used to view your schedule, pay information, and other related HR information. There should be an icon for eHR in the desktop of most computers found in your store. You can also use a restricted version of eHR to view your schedule from home.
  2. Workbench is also found on the desktop of most if not all computers in the stores, and is usually the browser home page. Workbench is the main place for online reports and tools that team members and leaders use to accomplish their tasks. As a regular team member/cashier, there's not much reason to worry about it. The most I ever used it for before moving to a more specialty position was to lookup policies.
  3. Calling out, contact the store and talk to the LOD as soon as you know you won't be able to make the shift. If you call to tell them, you're fine. It's not excused, it's still a callout, but you can't get in trouble for not reporting it. NCNS is pretty self explanatory. If you miss a shift and don't call to tell them in advanced, it's a NCNS. The only "excused" absences that target would have would be those where you've got someone to cover your shift for you, or you've got some kind of legitimate paperwork that says you can't come in. This varies by store to store, check with your stores HR team. Most stores have a paper form behind TSC where you can put up a shift for others to take, and where you can pick up some extra hours if you want to.
  4. Reviews take place once a year. Review season is just about over, and since you were LOA you probably don't have one.

Yeah most of my training was all done all on my own. By asking, finding out, getting raved on infront of the guests I made mistakes with, and just generally finding info out through this forums. I have asked for additional training on things and I've been given it! Don't be afraid to ask.

Trainers don't get paid extra to train so a lot have stopped caring. Most don't want do extra work for the same pay which is why training has declined in stores.

A while back, out of the blue, they gave me a nametag with "trainer" on it.

Uhhh, OK.

Trainers don't get paid extra to train so a lot have stopped caring. Most don't want do extra work for the same pay which is why training has declined in stores.

Honestly everyone should be willing to train in a person. I'm not even a trainer and many times I've helped a bunch of new cashiers just by letting them shadow me and letting me shadow them. It's a team effort at Target and if there's a new co-worker we should make them as comfortable as possible and train them even if there is no extra pay.

Lets just say, how you train them immediately reflects off of you in some cases. That's the reward besides higher pay, it's not like you're going to be training people for your entire shift every time you work anyways, at least at my store we usually only have to train in maybe 1-2 new cashiers. Hiring season is starting to rev up again and I already see a bunch of new cashiers.

I didn't get my trainer name tag until I changed workcenters, which makes zero sense, but hey, whatever.

Honestly everyone should be willing to train in a person. I'm not even a trainer and many times I've helped a bunch of new cashiers just by letting them shadow me and letting me shadow them. It's a team effort at Target and if there's a new co-worker we should make them as comfortable as possible and train them even if there is no extra pay.

Lets just say, how you train them immediately reflects off of you in some cases. That's the reward besides higher pay, it's not like you're going to be training people for your entire shift every time you work anyways, at least at my store we usually only have to train in maybe 1-2 new cashiers. Hiring season is starting to rev up again and I already see a bunch of new cashiers.
That's nice but that doesn't pay my bills.

I'll answer a question when asked but I turned down a trainer position many times because my pay doesn't reflect the added responsibility

Have to agree with @jb08045 on this one. I don't like training people. 8 out of 10 don't last anyway. IMO it should be the TL's job to train people. That way they can know pretty fast if a certain person just isn't cutting it, and don't have to take tms word for it. Also, more people means less hours for me. So I kinda don't want people to stay, unless we get someone good

I totally agree. I love training people. In fact, I don't believe someone can call themselves a leader until they can successfully train other people to do their jobs well. And you're totally right about it reflecting off of you.

Ugh, this is where Target super irritates me. They just seem to appoint tm's as trainers and without any input from leaders they are expected to teach newbies. Added responsibility, no guidance, and no reward. As much as I'm all team oriented I don't want to slow down my own work to train. Think leadership will give me a pass? Don't think so. Now, give me a little bump in wages when I train, adjust my work load and give me some training expectations and outcomes and I'd do it, no problem.

Target misses the mark on a lot of in store issues and this is just one of many. It's too bad. I really like my store and the company generally speaking but it's the left hand never knowing what the right hand is doing so much. :(

Probably ASANTS, my leaders appoint Trainers and are aware when new TMs are gonna be trained. If I'm ever worried about it I just let them know "hey im gonna be training someone" and my leaders are fine.

Maybe my store is just super chill, which is why I do not mind training someone in. I don't mind taking someone under my wing, in fact, I prefer it that way. I don't super care about no extra pay, because I'm only ever training someone once a month at most. ASANTS again but perhaps this is why you don't get extra pay.

Also, as a cashier there's like 5 other trainers so it's spread out lol I'm lucky to even train anyone in a whole month. Now I'm not super familiar with how it is on the floor but I can see where everyone comes from at that point... it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back