New @ A2 @ DC

Hello, I just finished Distribution Center orientation, it was interesting how the Guild Education benefits were just an afterthought / barely mentioned !

1) Do very few people take advantage of Guild ?

My recent background was as a shift supervisor for a huge bakery DC. It was insanely easy work, but only paid $22. Because it was so easy, all the free time ironically ended up causing MAJOR / CONSTANT issues between personnel.

I have my own small biz during weekdays and will be working the A2 shift Sat-Sun-Mon to supplement my income. I did do some 🔎 and this place has already been helpful. I'm about to catch up on more of the acronyms, but my main questions:

2) With my unpaid lunches, will my 3 days be only 34.5 hours then it looks like ?

3) Is the consensus that inbound and outbound are both very strenuous ? and MBP is easier but dangerous ?

4) Is it correct that MBP = OP = sky high lift machinery ?

5) If IB and OB are both so strenuous but I also see all the reports that both are full of drug addicts, how are the addicts able to survive that workload ?

6) Between IB and OB, is either one easier on the lower back ?

For entertainment purposes, I am attaching some photos of the dangerous equipment at my previous DC (wheels crumbling and falling off under load) so ya'll can get a laugh out of that !!

Sorry for long intro / thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_171042_01.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171042_01.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220602_171051_01.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171051_01.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220602_171051_01.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171051_01.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220602_171046_01.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171046_01.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220602_170935_01.jpg
    IMG_20220602_170935_01.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220602_171023_01.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171023_01.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 13
Hello, I just finished Distribution Center orientation, it was interesting how the Guild Education benefits were just an afterthought / barely mentioned !

1) Do very few people take advantage of Guild ?

My recent background was as a shift supervisor for a huge bakery DC. It was insanely easy work, but only paid $22. Because it was so easy, all the free time ironically ended up causing MAJOR / CONSTANT issues between personnel.

I have my own small biz during weekdays and will be working the A2 shift Sat-Sun-Mon to supplement my income. I did do some 🔎 and this place has already been helpful. I'm about to catch up on more of the acronyms, but my main questions:

2) With my unpaid lunches, will my 3 days be only 34.5 hours then it looks like ?

3) Is the consensus that inbound and outbound are both very strenuous ? and MBP is easier but dangerous ?

4) Is it correct that MBP = OP = sky high lift machinery ?

5) If IB and OB are both so strenuous but I also see all the reports that both are full of drug addicts, how are the addicts able to survive that workload ?

6) Between IB and OB, is either one easier on the lower back ?

For entertainment purposes, I am attaching some photos of the dangerous equipment at my previous DC (wheels crumbling and falling off under load) so ya'll can get a laugh out of that !!

Sorry for long intro / thanks in advance
1. Yes quite a few. Even if just for IT certificates it’s well worth it. A bachelors in anything for free is a huge benefit. It’s better than nothing for sure

2. You have no unpaid lunches. All breaks at the DC are on the clock breaks. You will be at 36 hours scheduled every week

3. As far as strenuous on your body I’d say it’s outbound by far then inbound, then warehousing then MBP is the easiest physically not counting packing. MBP and warehousing aren’t dangerous. You typically are either alone in aisles or are working at a tedious pace

4. Both MBP and warehousing use the order pickers. They are stock pickers or cherry pickers. They go up around 30ft in the air or to the top of the steel racks.

5. People exaggerate. There isn’t any unusual amount of “drug addicts”. And honestly Target isn’t that physically demanding as far as warehouse work goes. I found Walmart to be significantly more difficult

6. Outbound is always going to be the most physically demanding across the board. You’re loading trailers. You’re throwing freight in Depal which involves a ton of being bent down.

Your lunches/breaks are paid. Paid 36 hours.

IB/OB are generally more manual labor, but its not like everyone else is sitting on their ass the rest of the day.

MBP involves using equipment that will put you high in the sky yes. Same as Warehousing. I dont think it is any more dangerous. In general while we all have our complaints, Target takes safety very seriously and is one of the better warehousing companies to work for.

Drug users are another issue that is relatively exagerated here. But just as a general reference, people turn to drugs to HELP with difficult workloads. They actually help in most cases lol. But yeah compared to every other warehouse in my area Target is still the best in terms of who works there. Nowhere near as bad as other places.

Nothing is harder on the lower back than any other department if you follow the proper ergonomics of lifting. OB is arguably easier than most despite being regarded as the most physically intensive over all because you should almost never be lifting off the ground. Whereas WH/MBP/IB you will be lifting off the ground on occasion.

Anyways congrats. I know a lot of A key (your weekend shift) people that absolutely love working for Target while running their business during the week. Its a good deal.

The DCs in general are a great place to work. Most of my complaints have always been that it could be even better, n9t that it is truly bad.

There are a few DCs that get an unpaid lunch. Cali DCs I’m 99% sure get one, possibly others on the west coast or NY based on state law. So in those cases, their check is 34.5hrs, but most DCs just have 2 paid breaks.
Otherwise the 2 of them covered everything pretty well.

There are a few DCs that get an unpaid lunch. Cali DCs I’m 99% sure get one, possibly others on the west coast or NY based on state law. So in those cases, their check is 34.5hrs, but most DCs just have 2 paid breaks.
Otherwise the 2 of them covered everything pretty well.
In my defense I tend to forget there are states with pro worker laws as I live in the hellscape known as the Midwest

In my defense I tend to forget there are states with pro worker laws as I live in the hellscape known as the Midwest
I dunno getting paid less doesnt sound pro worker to me 😁 A keys still get two half an hour breaks. Thats plenty imo.

I’m in the same hellscape.
A really long time ago we had some people come from Cali to help us out when we fell behind, that’s the only reason I know. Seemed like they were always on break since they still had to follow their home state’s rules.

I don't know if the stores are different but in NY it is 2 paid 15s and a 45 unpaid meal break for 8 hours. 11+ is 3 15s a 45 every six hours. If you work 14+ I think you get 4 15s and a meal break every 6.

IB isn't that strenuous. Lifting super heavy stuff for hours on end is uncommon and usually I don't get strained unless I'm hard staffed on the ARTS which hurts my back a lot from the constant bending to remove boxes from the line.

I don't know if the stores are different but in NY it is 2 paid 15s and a 45 unpaid meal break for 8 hours. 11+ is 3 15s a 45 every six hours. If you work 14+ I think you get 4 15s and a meal break every 6.

I work in an NY DC and we get a 15 and 45 minute paid break for B key shifts. No clue how A keys operate break wise.

Back