Archived New app tracking individual sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it is a good feeling to find a confused/lost person and lead them directly to what they're looking for, and getting their appreciation for it. Especially if they have a question about something that they feel is "dumb" to ask...like the other day I had a guest who was looking for a USB cable to connect her phone to her laptop, but wasn't sure which would work. "Sir, I hate to bother you with a dumb question like this but can you tell me the difference between 'USB 3.0' and 'USB-C?'" So I explained that 3.0 is the newer, faster version of USB, and that USB-C is the connector type that fits certain newer phones and a very small number of the newest laptops. I asked her what phone she had and looked at it to make sure that it did indeed have the USB-C port, and her laptop was the newest MacBook Pro which only has Thunderbolt ports (USB-C type). From that I knew that the cable she needed was one with USB-C on both ends. She asked the difference and I explained that Thunderbolt is a high speed interface that supports USB signals and connectors, and the C-type TB cables can be used as regular USB cables as long as the connector matches. Found a Belkin one (008-00-0103) and she was happy because the Apple store wanted way more for the cable they said she needed.

Short version: Guest was confused, guest got her questions answered without being condescended to, guest left with a Target.com order on the way for the exact item she needed without any extra BS like TOTAL CABLE INSURANCE. In and out, the way we both like it.

Great guest service is having a clean, crisp zone and having team members working to restock the shelves and remerchandise, etc. So that way when I'm shopping I don't have to spend 2 extra hours trying to guesstimate the price of an item in three different places or not end up finding what I'm looking for not because a TM did not provide guest service by Target's definition but because it was in an aisle buried underneath month's worth reshop. I would rather not be bothered by a worker asking me if I'm finding everything. That just annoys me AF and I feel being stalked and I can't focus my thoughts on what I came in for with the constant interruption. If I need help with something, I'll go to the worker and ask. Sales are not just about guest interacting. Having the staff and giving them full shifts to get the job done from A to Z is driving sales. Shit sitting in the back isn't magically going to bring itself to the floor. You need manpower. No hours to TMs=no sales=no payroll! Come on Target, It's not rocket science. If you want to track what a TM sells, how about checking TMs attendance. I drive sales being here everyday ordering and pushing the FDC. However, I'd make more $$$ doing real estate or being a car salesperson than doing modern day slave labor to TGT!

If the price is too high, out the door I go! I don't care what guest service you provide me because at the end of the day more cash in my pocket wins the game!

If I had any input to corporate (ARE YOU THERE, SPOT?) regarding modernization (which seems to me to actually be old school retail) I might suggest that they plan for small group inservice training on sales 101. It seems to me through both observation and reading some of the posts here that many are not comfortable or know how to sell to a customer (guest, in our case) who isn't looking for something specific. It is not what most people working for Target think that they were actually hired to do, as odd as that sounds. While it sounds easy, being a salesperson (at least a good one) takes skill and practice. It's one of the few areas that I think role playing scenarios might actually be of some help.

Remember with old school retail one was compensated well enough to support a family, and had health insurance, etc.

There isn't anything wrong with Spot moving in that direction. What is problematic is not having the floor adequately stocked for those that don't want/need assistance and not having hired people who are sales people. Many of those who were primary hired to stock, zone, reshop may not be suitable for their new role. So what do you do with those TMs? (Never mind,that's rhetorical)

At some point the inventory and stocking issues will need to be addressed, as well as compensation. $15.50/hr may, or may not, be sufficient to attract TMs that can sell as much as Spot expects them to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back