Archived New Backroom Day TM

Status
Not open for further replies.

interestingmage

Backroom Day
Hi All!

So Thursday was my first day working at Target, and I have to admit it was much more fun than I thought it would be. (Though that may be due to the fact that I've been working for my father the past 13 months and am happy to be getting out of the damn house for work on a semi-regular basis :wacko: ) I've actually been bummed the past day and a half of not being scheduled, because I WANT to go back and keep learning. (Just let me know if I've gone off the deep end here and need to be smacked back into reality xD )

Anyway, I had been reading up on the Internet the day before about people's experiences at Target, (though hadn't come across this site, oddly enough), and was worried about all the blogs and such of people complaining about how little they'd been trained and forced to work quickly under bad management.

I'm glad to say that this wasn't the case for me! As the title says I was hired for a Backroom Day position, and the people that were working with me and training me did a great job. I honestly think that they didnt expect me to catch me to catch so fast, and I was surprised that they "trusted" me enough to go off and fill researches and hourly CAF's alone. There were only two things that I was slow to catch on to, the first being where in God's name all the options could be found on the PDA, but I suppose in a few months I won't even be bothered to look at the buttons on the PDA, with the muscle memory and all kicking in.

The 2nd thing I was completely confused about until my ETL was walking by and stopped me to have a nice conversation (more on that later,), was what the hell Hardlines and Softlines meant, never having worked in retail before. Looking back on it now, it probably would have been a LOT easier for my coworkers to explain that Hard1 was furnishings and such, and Hard2 was consumables and such. MUCH simpler than learning what was 1 and 2 one at at time :huh:

But, other than those few flukes, my first shift was a success, I think. Everyone I met was nice, and didn't seem stand-off-ish or anything, and I got to know one of the other Backroom TM's pretty well during our break. I haven't met my TL yet, and I think I won't until about a week from now due to vacation and/or shift times, but my ETL is very friendly and explained things to me clearly, instead of directing me back to my trainer, and actually said they looked forward to spending a bit of time with me on one of my next few shifts to talk more about me and where I wanted to go with Target as a Career, and see if I needed any help learning my job. I have to say - that was something I did not think I would EVER hear from a manager in retail!

So, I'm going to shut up now and keep reading through what you guys are talking about.

P.S. It occurs to me after I reread my post for typos that Im pretty sure I didn't log off my employee # on the PDA when I left my shift. Does it auto-log me off when I put it back into the charging holster, or might someone else have picked it up and started working under my #? Should I be worried? I don't believe I was shown how to log out, or even remember how to log back in for that matter xD! Yet another thing to ask my trainer Sunday evening.

Your PDA login times out after like 15-20 mins of inactivity so no worries.

Welcome!

To log off from the pda (completely): Hit toggle and then on the right-top corner click on the exit door button.
To log off from RF Apps: You just hit the letter L and then enter.
To log in: log off if it's logged in on someone else's numbers. Once logged off there should a be a screen to sign in. Just punch in your numbers and done.

Greetings and salutations.
I can't tell you how many times I've thought of questions I should have asked as I was riding home from work.
Write them down and ask the next day.
The more questions you ask now, the less mistakes you'll make later.
I'm glad you got one of the good stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back