Archived New designer nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
These products for these "high fashion" designer partnerships are almost always ugly. They are pointless sets as they send so much ISM for products that are spread everywhere in the store and there isn't enough inventory to support the pogs. The product that we do get sells out on the first day so the eBayers can sell them online only to return them in a week. I get that it's more of a publicity thing for Spot to maintain its image of being the upscale discount retailer but these events are obsolete now and a pain in the ass for stores.

Geez, my pants look better than that dress after I finish unloading a truck!

Slight derail, Adventure Time is awesome^^

These products for these "high fashion" designer partnerships are almost always ugly. They are pointless sets as they send so much ISM for products that are spread everywhere in the store and there isn't enough inventory to support the pogs. The product that we do get sells out on the first day so the eBayers can sell them online only to return them in a week. I get that it's more of a publicity thing for Spot to maintain its image of being the upscale discount retailer but these events are obsolete now and a pain in the ass for stores.

I agree with this 100%. If a designer collection is popular it's picked clean in 15 minutes because they send each store such a small amount if product. So all the time setting the POGs and doing the special PITA ISM signing is just a waste. When we set Lilly Pulitzer, we worked from 6am-8am setting and signing, went on break at 8am and when we got back from break it was mostly picked clean. Then add in frustrated guests that come in to buy things and we have none left + the Target.com snafus (Target.com CRASHED for the Missoni & Lilly Pulitzer collections) and you have what would seem to me to be a PR disaster. Sure Target gets a lot of buzz, but with these problems it ends up being many stories that portray Target in a bad light, which would seem to ME (but what do I know) to be a BAD thing.

Last edited:
Seriously, the only designer partnership that looked decent was the plaid one from last year and that wasn't a full blown ordeal like all this other crap had been. This stuff is hideous, the Lily stuff was hideous, and the Missoni stuff was hideous. Is there not a designer they can team up with that doesn't put out ugly clothes that look like they belong in a garbage can?
Plaid wad the biggest launch since Nieman Marcus. The amount of ism was bigger than Christmas. Let that sink in for a minute...

...the real problem is that even if you limit to one per household there isn't enough to last a day if people are interested. Or if you want an outfit. They need to find a longer term partnership instead of these flash in the pan pita sets.

I saw a 'talking points' sheet at our store regarding this event. It was basically a list of about eight FAQ a guest might ask and how to respond. One was about limits and it said there was a five item limit online, but no limit in the store. Another one addressed the issue about people buying up all the items only to sell them on eBay at a higher rate. The answer to that question was that Targer cannot control what a person does with the item after they purchase them.

I wish there would have been a talking point for when you answer those two questions then the guest says "well why don't you put a limit on the number of items a person can purchase in the store if you know people are buying them all up just to resell them on eBay for a profit"? I'm guessing it wasn't on the list because they don't really have a good answer.

Plaid wad the biggest launch since Nieman Marcus. The amount of ism was bigger than Christmas. Let that sink in for a minute...

...the real problem is that even if you limit to one per household there isn't enough to last a day if people are interested. Or if you want an outfit. They need to find a longer term partnership instead of these flash in the pan pita sets.
Plaid was the ugliest and worst executed launch ever.

I love Marimekko and have since the early 80s I also think Joseph Frank is the best textile designer who ever lived
However, I am not crazy about these Marimekko prints
Liberty of London was nice too

Last edited:
I saw a 'talking points' sheet at our store regarding this event. It was basically a list of about eight FAQ a guest might ask and how to respond. One was about limits and it said there was a five item limit online, but no limit in the store. Another one addressed the issue about people buying up all the items only to sell them on eBay at a higher rate. The answer to that question was that Targer cannot control what a person does with the item after they purchase them.

What's funny is that that is completely contradictory to their reseller policy. At least, the Redwire and updated Workbench page they pushed out last fall.

Plaid was the ugliest and worst executed launch ever.

While I agree it was the worst executed launch (several people at my old store and another local store I stopped in had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about it, even though the store did have some of the stuff), I think that the Missoni stuff is the ugliest designer stuff we've carried. My old store had racks of it left for months after it was released and it just looks hideous. Then again, I'm a guy and I do enjoy wearing plaid and flannel clothes, but I've seen women wear the Missoni stuff in person and it just awful.

I've already had multiple people come in and ask about the the stuff. I had completely forgotten about this too.

I sorta love when we have designer collections when people actually gaf about the designer lol. But I hate when there are no rules. I always feel bad for the people who genuinely wanna wear the clothes when they lose out to ebayers.

I'm not a fan of marimekko though so I'm not excited as a potential shopper. Lim was the last designer I gaf about I think. I got a bag and sweater. No wait... Peter Pilotto was after Lim I think. I bought swimwear from that one.

They need to find a longer term partnership instead of these flash in the pan pita sets.
This. When I first started they had Isaac Mizrahi in RTW and Michael Graves in housewares as their signature designers. Now, the only one I can think of is Nate Berkus whose stuff doesn't really move in my store unless they are clearance. These limited-edition, limited-time partnerships, are just Target's way of trying to maintain the Tar-jay, cheap chic image. However, I think that boat sailed long ago. They really do need to sign a couple of long-term deals with noted designers to get that cachet back.

And, what is it with the fake mounted animal heads in Home? During the holidays we had at least three versions of reindeer: fabric, gold, and woven twigs. All ready to hang on your wall. Now I noticed more on the art wall and in kids decor. Are they really that popular?

Oh god, I remember the Isaac Mizrahi stuff. That was a long time ago, right? I think I was in Softlines back then, when I worked at Target the first time. (Before quiting and coming back, lol) his stuff was just fucking ugly. I hated all of it. I just remember disgusting peachy pink stuff and weird blue and orange patterns.

Fashi on does not always equal to taste I guess. Lol.

Oh god, I remember the Isaac Mizrahi stuff. That was a long time ago, right? I think I was in Softlines back then, when I worked at Target the first time. (Before quiting and coming back, lol) his stuff was just fucking ugly. I hated all of it. I just remember disgusting peachy pink stuff and weird blue and orange patterns.

Fashi on does not always equal to taste I guess. Lol.
Yeah, some of his stuff was fugly but I also remember some little black dresses which weren't too bad if you needed one and wanted to say it was a Mizrahi. That's what Target needs to return to, a signature designer that creates a mix of the more out there stuff but also more conservative designs.

I have a question... Who will set this up in your stores ...planoteam or VML..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back