Archived NEW ETL yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the news that I am going to be an ETL! yay! Can someone reassure me that it's not as bad as some of the things that I have read on here? I mean definitely give it to me straight, but I think this is going to be an awesome experience! I mean I know the basics to expect from reading this stuff, but I guess I just need some advice because I really want to do a good job! Oh, and I thought it was inappropriate to ask them what I will be making, I saw on here that there is a salary? Can anyone explain that? #newbieprobs lol Anyways, thanks for your help in advance!

And it is salary? Or are you paid a certain amount per hour based on how many hours you work per week? Sorry I'm still a little confused about all of it lol!

Have you ever had a job before? Serious question. You don't know much about the position but you're going to be an ETL? Given an offer but no $$ was discussed? I'm confused. They don't just give ETL away without a formal letter explaining the offer.

Bad is relative to your experience in retail. Compared to a normal 9-5, Monday-Friday job at $50K- yeah it sucks. Compared to other department stores it's not bad.

Sorry my above post can come off as being rude. I want to assume you went through the interview process. Are you internal or external? I'm surprised they didn't say the salary unless you are at the stage where the recruiter says they will call back with an offer. If so, expect around $50K minimum. ETLs are the lowest salaried position. You'll work around 50 hours but sometimes it can be closer to 60 depending on volume and time of year. Several factors will determine how many hours you work.

And in some stores you will barely work 40. You are salaried, but for 6-8 weeks you'll be in business college and will be hourly. For those weeks you will have to work 50 hours to make the pay you were quoted.

You should never leave a final interview without discussing pay.

If you get a store that averages 40 then never leave. We only have 1 store in our district like that but they only have 3 ETLs and are ULV. My friends who are still ETLs in this area are still pushing the 55-60 hr average.

An ETL transferred to our store from an ULV and got his ass chewed out when he came in and ate breakfast in food ave at 815am. We never get visible breaks. He was used to the easy ETL life. He was termed 4 months later.

Just from reading her post alone, I can tell she's young.

That's why my original post could come off as rude because the OP sounded like a first job after college. Doesn't mean she won't do well. Just ask the right questions and respect your team and you'll do fine. It's a learning process.

Don't forget to give mixed messages.

Tell team members to give great guest service, FIFO product, etc. then yell at them for not making timelines.

Give POG tm's 10 hour planograms in 7 hour shift. Then have them do 4X4's, back up cashier, and chastise them at the end of they day when they don't finish.

Right now, our store has a sales floor etl who, I believe, thinks he is better than everyone else at the store. I think I'll stick around for his downfall.

Right now, our store has a sales floor etl who, I believe, thinks he is better than everyone else at the store. I think I'll stick around for his downfall.

He is better than everyone else - he is an "Executive" remember. I had to.

If you get a store that averages 40 then never leave. We only have 1 store in our district like that but they only have 3 ETLs and are ULV. My friends who are still ETLs in this area are still pushing the 55-60 hr average.

An ETL transferred to our store from an ULV and got his ass chewed out when he came in and ate breakfast in food ave at 815am. We never get visible breaks. He was used to the easy ETL life. He was termed 4 months later.

This makes me laugh. We are ULV, but our ETLs generally work their tails off. I've seen support LODs come in and get confused because they have to work...because they are used to actually having a team to run...and when you are ULV, it means there is very little team and lots of work.

Our ULV ETLs worked 40 hours and had breakfast every morning after opening the doors. But like most cases, not all stores are the same. Retail in my hometown is also relaxed - but they just got a Target and it neighbors a corn field.

Tell team members to give great guest service, FIFO product, etc. then yell at them for not making

Exactly! Our ETL-GE wanted us to push subscriptions at the check out last week since they were 20% off. One TM asked if it was free shipping just for the week or always, she didn't know. The TM asked twice if someone could check so we could give out the right info, she just stood there and didn't say a word. Finally, a GSTL volunteered to check on it.

To the OP;

Is it all doom and gloom? No, some stores can be enjoyable to work in, but most are not.

Some advice: Tone down your personality a bit. Your enthusiasm is good, but you need to channel that in a more business appropriate sense. The people working for you are making 7-9 dollars an hour. They will not share your enthusiasm for Target. The best way for you to be immediately successful is to identify with, and elevate your team. A firm, fair hand, and a level, positive, but realistic, attitude will carry you very far.

Your recruiter and new stl will love the overwhelming outward, loud enthusiasm. Your team will not. Remember that your recruiter nor your stl will be the one bailing you out night after night, your team will.

Respect your team and be willing to listen to their ideas and learn from them, and you will be happy and successful in no time.

Best of luck to you!

(Possibly slightly NSFW)

This thread, in images;

OP:
imagesizer

Most of us:
a95d3433e11b93da9f15cfa87575447500cf5afa8e19f64966a7b519d70e6805.jpg

OP:
sad-keanu.jpg

This thread reminds me of the girl I saw at my college graduation 5 years ago who had a gem studded Target logo on her cap. Not site if it was for an ETL position or Corp (pretty school had a pretty big fashion design major) but I wonder if he Target career panned out.

This thread reminds me of the girl I saw at my college graduation 5 years ago who had a gem studded Target logo on her cap. Not site if it was for an ETL position or Corp (pretty school had a pretty big fashion design major) but I wonder if he Target career panned out.

They say the straight out of college grads are the quickest ones to either run away screaming or get termed. You would think Corp would catch on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back