Archived New Flow Team Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lylvel

Hi! I will be starting next week and was just wondering what to expect since this will be my first time working in retail store

You should be paired w an experienced tm who will show you the ropes. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Listen and you'll get the hang of it.

I complain all the time about being overworked, but Flow team have it worse. Go in with the expectations of working hard. Everyone I know on my flow team is super close because they all have to give 100% or they all get bitched at. So Expect some of them to be a little sour at first but once you get the hang of it you'll fit right in! But this is just my experience with Flow, they work hard and have each others backs.

Nothing to fear unless you don't catch on. There's probably a 2-4 week learning curve. Ask questions, ask a lot of questions because it shows that you're interested in learning. Work hard, give 100% it will pay off at target I assure you. They really commend dedication. Pay attention to detail while slowly improving accuracy and speed. Listen to the Team Leader, they know what's best practice and have a game plan for your entire day. Don't listen to those coworkers who complain about the job or tell you negative things about it, theyl take you down where they are. Just do what your Team Lead does, move fast like they do. In 6-8 months youl be backstocking in the backroom and getting 30 hours while the complainer is being pushed out at 9am. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi! I will be starting next week and was just wondering what to expect since this will be my first time working in retail store
Welcome to Target and there's only a few things you should always try and remember when working flow.

1. Never OVERSTOCK (carry a myDevice)
2. Help out the backroom (don't send freight to the backroom because you don't feel like working it out) this creates horrible BEST PRACTICE and more work on your backroom team having to challenge each item.
3. Work neatly and quickly (you'll meet TM's that will want to do nothing but talk talk talk while this is okay make sure you continue with a fast pace and outshine as it will show come reviews).
4. Don't call-in (flow TM's are important because the truck has to be unloaded. Call-in's hurt the team a lot.
5. During certain parts of the year payroll may be tight however ask your TL or ETL to cross train in other departments so that you expand yourself as a TM and can pick up other shifts. (hardlines is easy pretty much same as flow team accept you are called to front-lanes to work a register when it gets busy.
6. My last advise as I try and tell my team this every time. Be that guy that cares instead of the guy that doesn't! If you see HBA heavy from a truck help them out (remember you would want someone to do the same for you).

LAST ALWAYS ALWAY check for (*) <-- double locations. If you see a * while stocking the item then this tells you there is a second location. After you finish your area if you have time go back and zone that area.

Other than that you should be good to go :)

I Start tomorrow, same position. I dont think I will be sleeping tonight. After being sidelined for 10yrs with cancer I went to the Target right near my house (the only one in town) and got a part time spot on Flow Team. My TL is at least half my age...You could say I'm freakin out a bit.

I Start tomorrow, same position. I dont think I will be sleeping tonight. After being sidelined for 10yrs with cancer I went to the Target right near my house (the only one in town) and got a part time spot on Flow Team. My TL is at least half my age...You could say I'm freakin out a bit.
Just keep an open mind to learning from young and the old, the immigrants and the natives, the girls and boys, from everyone. Be humble , be receptive. Teach what you know and value what you learn. Best of luck :).
And oh, get some sleep!

I started on Flow a few weeks ago and what everyone said above. Be flexible and willing to help. I have seen other New people be like "times up. clocking out" which is fine if you have another job, but some of these I just think people were lazy. I have said ok to staying an extra 30-50 minutes to finish pushing product and I can tell that my TL and ETL appreciate it.

Be prepared to sweat.

I hope your first day went well. There are a lot of things to learn but it will all make sense soon. My first week I was super sore and left work feeling super dehydrated. DRINK WATER. You will need lots of it.

Ok, so without reiterating everything already said, flow in my store was and is pretty good all things considered. There's never enough my devices to go around the store, so learn what you can without one, and use the wall scanners to your advantage. They won't tell you where the multiple locations are, but they will tell you there are multiples. Yes water is super important, but make sure it's bottled so no spills. Try to get paired with someone who actually cares about what their doing. Try to make the day easier for everyone and every team by pushing everything out to capacity, not over stocking, and only backstocking when it will not go.

In my store, when something doesn't go right, or a different team/work center finds something wrong, it's always flow team's fault. Best advice on this if it happens, just blow it off. Best thing to do to avoid this is to make sure that you at least are doing everything in your power to do your job right and up to best practice.

Also, if you're going into a low volume store, cross train. Anywhere. It's the only way to get enough hours. Thank God I did when I was still on flow, because it allowed me to pick up almost any shift on the swap.

I hope I'm not sounding too negative, just trying to give you a different perspective's advice. I hope you get an awesome TL, and some cool ETLs and STLs. We're down to 2 cool people left at my store and it pretty much sucks. Good luck!!

Here is how you read a label without a my device.
Ok so I know how to read a label, and have been with Target for 4 years now. But nobody ever told me that the barcode literally was the DPCI! Man, it never ceases to amaze me that after 4 years I'm still learning things that a newb would be learning. Granted I didn't get much training my first feel weeks, much less my first year, but still. Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back