Archived New Hire Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had my interview 2 days ago and got hired on the spot, yay! My position will be Hardlines Seasonal. I'm excited but have a million and one questions that are giving me The Anxieties™.

1) I was told in my interview id be working 8 hours per day. But I was not told/forgot to ask how many hours per week I would be working. I have quite a few friends who work at different targets and ive been told by one that seasonal workers get 15-20 hrs a week. I was told by another friend that seasonal hardlines work a lot. I'm leaning more toward believing that friend bc 15-20 hours working 8 hrs a day would be like... 2 - 2 and a half days a week? Which seems would be a super weird schedual. Also my interviewer emphasized that this position would be a lot of hard work and 2 days a week doesnt seem all that grueling. So can anyone tell me which is more accurate? Or does it vary store to store?

2) I also failed to mention that my mom who lives states away bought plane tickets to visit me closer to when my seasonal period if not kept on would be ending... Will this be a big deal? Should i mention this early on in my employment? Or mention it closer to when ill actually need the time off? Would it be better to just ask for limited hours during the time she'll be visiting? Also, is asking for time off or to modify my schedule in any way during this period be risky? Especially if i am really hoping to be kept on?

3) I realized i dont have the right identification I will need for orientation. My social security card will be coming in the mail within the next 7-10 days and i dont know when my orientation is yet. If it ends up being before i will have the card should I notify hr over the phone? What will happen then?

4) is there a certain percentage of people they generally keep on after a seasonal period is up? Or just whoever they felt worked hard?

So I had my interview 2 days ago and got hired on the spot, yay! My position will be Hardlines Seasonal. I'm excited but have a million and one questions that are giving me The Anxieties™.

1) I was told in my interview id be working 8 hours per day. But I was not told/forgot to ask how many hours per week I would be working. I have quite a few friends who work at different targets and ive been told by one that seasonal workers get 15-20 hrs a week. I was told by another friend that seasonal hardlines work a lot. I'm leaning more toward believing that friend bc 15-20 hours working 8 hrs a day would be like... 2 - 2 and a half days a week? Which seems would be a super weird schedual. Also my interviewer emphasized that this position would be a lot of hard work and 2 days a week doesnt seem all that grueling. So can anyone tell me which is more accurate? Or does it vary store to store?

2) I also failed to mention that my mom who lives states away bought plane tickets to visit me closer to when my seasonal period if not kept on would be ending... Will this be a big deal? Should i mention this early on in my employment? Or mention it closer to when ill actually need the time off? Would it be better to just ask for limited hours during the time she'll be visiting? Also, is asking for time off or to modify my schedule in any way during this period be risky? Especially if i am really hoping to be kept on?

3) I realized i dont have the right identification I will need for orientation. My social security card will be coming in the mail within the next 7-10 days and i dont know when my orientation is yet. If it ends up being before i will have the card should I notify hr over the phone? What will happen then?

4) is there a certain percentage of people they generally keep on after a seasonal period is up? Or just whoever they felt worked hard?

1- hours are based off store needs but some stores give new TMS less hours not to overwhelm them during training. Whatever you put as your maximum/minimum hours that's what you be scheduled around

2- if its after 90 days then it won't matter if you need to take time off. Request it as normal otherwise talk to HR

3- I believe birth certificate is acceptable but HR should have given you a list of documents that are okay if not call them

4- store needs and performance are usually what they look for when seasonal is over

1- hours are based off store needs but some stores give new TMS less hours not to overwhelm them during training. Whatever you put as your maximum/minimum hours that's what you be scheduled around

2- if its after 90 days then it won't matter if you need to take time off. Request it as normal otherwise talk to HR

3- I believe birth certificate is acceptable but HR should have given you a list of documents that are okay if not call them

4- store needs and performance are usually what they look for when seasonal is over
Thank you this was helpful. I had applied for a social security card cause i couldnt find my birth certificate and those actually cost money to replace. But luckily found it today! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back