Archived New HRTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All! My store just got a HRTL position (apparently hasn't had one in forever) and it's going to be me. I've been checking out the ETL-HR, HRTL, and HRTM core roles and they are very vague. I cannot figure out exactly what I am supposed to do. What does your HRTL do? HELP?!?!?! My ETL is super lazy and his TM is clearly overworked. I think my He is about to have me doing His entire job now while He and the STL sit in the office and chat it up.

Welcome! Hey Annie, your ears on?
At my store, our hrtl does all grunt work for the hretl. Like training, punch corrections, interview scheduling, orientations, etc..

Last edited:
We are getting an HRTL, one of our SrTLs is moving into the position. We already have two TMs trained and scheduled in TSC.

What is the difference? Does this mean that those TMs will get scheduled out on the floor now? We are a low volum store with about 120 TMs

MrG, is yours a hi-vol store w/ON?
AE'13 mentioned something about an hrTL to address ONTM concerns/issues because many would have to come in during daytime since our ETL-HR seldom closed or did ON.
Otherwise, yep, you're gonna be doing the lion's share of your ETL's work. That's cool, tho. HR is like the mainstream of a store (ANYONE handling payroll, lol).

You're going to do a lot of talking.

MrG, is yours a hi-vol store w/ON?
AE'13 mentioned something about an hrTL to address ONTM concerns/issues because many would have to come in during daytime since our ETL-HR seldom closed or did ON.
Otherwise, yep, you're gonna be doing the lion's share of your ETL's work. That's cool, tho. HR is like the mainstream of a store (ANYONE handling payroll, lol).

Hey, we are not O/N. I just know the HRTM has been doing all of the ETL-HRs work so...hmm...

At my store, the HR TL is in charge of making the schedule and setting up orientations and training. I'm sure there are other things that I don't know about, but you probably get the idea.

And of course, as the title implies, the HR TL leads the HR team (i.e. alignment stuff like reviews, coachings, etc. for HR TMs).

I heard the HRTL is new. I am currently a flow tl transferring to a new store. I was asked if interested, but how do you go from leading 30+ team members to 1 or 2?

In a way though you're leading the entire store team. You should be interacting with all your tms and be a resource for them.

I agree sigma. My STL thinks it would be a good fit, because manage talent is my strength. I've mentored 3 tm's that are now leaders and fear that leaving the floor I will miss out on those experiences. Does that make sense?

Most of the stores in my district did not have an HRTL prior to this year but now almost all are getting one. Keep in mind most of our stores are not Supers/overnight. I think its quite interesting that the company is willing to allocate all this new payroll for all these stores to get HRTLs.

Not to be dense but what does an HRTL do that the awesome HRninjaTMs haven't been doing all this time?
Does this mean they are going to get a raise and more regular hours?
That would be great but I'm not counting on it.

Last edited:
The way I see it, HR will help you move up at Target. It will be a good experience. And it's one of the few jobs at target where you can get experience that will make you more valuable outside of Target too. Most HR jobs want someone with experience in HR. Being an HRTL could open up a lot of doors at Target and outside of Target.

I want one of the the ones that opened up in my district. I really want to get the store more involved in volunteering and community service. That kind of stuff is exciting to me!

Do HRTL still close at least one night a week?

Mine does, and he does an overnight once in a while.

Not to be dense but what does an HRTL do that the awesome HRninjaTMs haven't been doing all this time?
Does this mean they are going to get a raise and more regular hours?
That would be great but I'm not counting on it.

Maybe some of the ETL-HR's responsibilities will be delegated to the HR TL, freeing up the ETL-HR to be more global (i.e. spending LOD shifts on the floor rather than hiding in their office).

Is this a new role out that's popping up? I know in our area we had HRTL's years ago, but that was phased out. What are the plans about HRTLs in stores?

Is this a new role out that's popping up? I know in our area we had HRTL's years ago, but that was phased out. What are the plans about HRTLs in stores?

AE13 included a new program called Unique Store Processes. One of the programs within USP is for stores that meet certain conditions to gain an HRTL. I don't know the specific conditions but I'm guessing a lot of stores are qualifying for it. Other USP programs include stores that qualify gaining an ETL-Ops. Another one is for stores that are considered "heavily shopped" to gain extra hours just for zoning. There's several other USP programs but I don't know them all.

AE13 included a new program called Unique Store Processes. One of the programs within USP is for stores that meet certain conditions to gain an HRTL. I don't know the specific conditions but I'm guessing a lot of stores are qualifying for it. Other USP programs include stores that qualify gaining an ETL-Ops. Another one is for stores that are considered "heavily shopped" to gain extra hours just for zoning. There's several other USP programs but I don't know them all.
That is interesting. Thanks for your reply!

I saw on the schedule at my store the HR-TL is only working one 8 hour day next week.. i thought all team leads worked full time?

time off? vacation? lots of things.

I use to be both a Human Resources TL and a HR Staffing & Development TL (now phased out I believe). The role will vary from store to store. You will be doing the same kind of work as that of a HRTM as well as that of your ETL-HR depending on what things they delegate to you. You will most definitely captain new team member orientation and the training program. In addition I served as the Donations Coordinator, led the scheduling process, and was assessments captain. I took the bulk of the stress from my ETL and thoroughly enjoyed both roles.

I think its the new structure of the general merchandise stores. I just made HRTL in my store and its just going to be The EhrTL and myself. I am a bit worried about the core roles as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back