Archived New job interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
Later this week, it's at another retail store but it's an outdoorsy store. The lady today I called and confirmed it told me they're interested in making me a maintenance guy or... blegh... cashier. Which probably wouldn't be nearly as bad at all where I'm going to work.

Hoping I can NOT do that and work on the floor if I talk the big boss guy into letting me at the interview. Might be escaping Spot... maybe.

Why don't you just do what you want to do @ Spot?

Why don't you just do what you want to do @ Spot?

I so wish I could. I'd much rather do that, family is family, but when everyone says "oh we know you'd be really good at this, we've seen you work, however... we chose someone else outside of Target." and maybe it's an issue of me being too confident saying I could do this job 100x better than my current role in the store, but not sure.

If they know I'd be good, plus you'd barely have to train me in because I know the whole store, at least basically, it'd be easier to just take me, right? Oops, wrong.
Let them know what hobby you are good at. Fishing, biking, etc..

I actually submitted a previous application that got turned down right away, it was a sporting goods/fishing position. I screwed up probably because I did the full time application and I guess I accidentally applied to be a leader perhaps, because in the call the lady made it clear the part time and full time positions are vastly different even if they're the same department.

fishing and outdoors stuff is really my main knowledge in this store, and maybe tomorrow I will have to convey that but for a worker/part time position instead. All I know is, if things don't go right tomorrow I'm gonna really have to push at my store to do what I want, which is anything not front-end.

You know the drill: pick up a voluntary term form, making sure plenty of folks see you doing it. Fill it out & keep it in your pocket. If leadership asks you about it, let them know that you don't feel you're in an area with a future.
Use it as an opportunity to ask them about development.
If nothing else, you'll have it filled out when you're ready to leave.

You know the drill: pick up a voluntary term form, making sure plenty of folks see you doing it. Fill it out & keep it in your pocket. If leadership asks you about it, let them know that you don't feel you're in an area with a future.
Use it as an opportunity to ask them about development.
If nothing else, you'll have it filled out when you're ready to leave.

I will have to do that. The more I start to realize though, the more I sort of just wanna work at this outdoor recreational store. But interview is tomorrow, I'm going in strong, confident, and laying out what I'm willing to do for them if they would let me.

Can't say I'm not nervous, but definitely hyped.

I will have to do that. The more I start to realize though, the more I sort of just wanna work at this outdoor recreational store. But interview is tomorrow, I'm going in strong, confident, and laying out what I'm willing to do for them if they would let me.

Can't say I'm not nervous, but definitely hyped.

Let us know how it goes

Didn't go too good. They want to offer me a cart/maintenance or cashier position as well lol

Figuring out Target isn't sustainable in the financial long run for me, I've realized what I want to go to college for. I've realized I've kind of wanted to be a Car Salesman... i've really taken a liking into cars and I think I know enough to possibly be even considered for a few local dealerships. Nothing set in stone, just a few emails and phone calls have been left inquiring on any open positions or anything of that like. You guys are the only ones that even know now besides my mom and girlfriend.

Figuring out Target isn't sustainable in the financial long run for me, I've realized what I want to go to college for. I've realized I've kind of wanted to be a Car Salesman... i've really taken a liking into cars and I think I know enough to possibly be even considered for a few local dealerships. Nothing set in stone, just a few emails and phone calls have been left inquiring on any open positions or anything of that like. You guys are the only ones that even know now besides my mom and girlfriend.
Go where you are happy @TTGOz. Nothing worse than being where you don't want to be

Go where you are happy @TTGOz. Nothing worse than being where you don't want to be

If I have to be honest, I really love my job at Target. But since im being honest, I can't ignore the fact I might love selling cars just a tad more, but we'll see. Definitely something id preach better than redcards hahaha

Reactions: Him
I so wish I could. I'd much rather do that, family is family, but when everyone says "oh we know you'd be really good at this, we've seen you work, however... we chose someone else outside of Target." and maybe it's an issue of me being too confident saying I could do this job 100x better than my current role in the store, but not sure.

If they know I'd be good, plus you'd barely have to train me in because I know the whole store, at least basically, it'd be easier to just take me, right? Oops, wrong.

I actually submitted a previous application that got turned down right away, it was a sporting goods/fishing position. I screwed up probably because I did the full time application and I guess I accidentally applied to be a leader perhaps, because in the call the lady made it clear the part time and full time positions are vastly different even if they're the same department.

fishing and outdoors stuff is really my main knowledge in this store, and maybe tomorrow I will have to convey that but for a worker/part time position instead. All I know is, if things don't go right tomorrow I'm gonna really have to push at my store to do what I want, which is anything not front-end.
You have a role to play in the team .which is cashiering/carts. Yet you don't want to do that. You want to do something else,and not your part. The team can't function if team members don't their parts well.
Now you claim to be miserable doing what you do know,right?
What makes you think the next task/role in the team assigned to you will be to your liking? What happens when you get bored of your new position? Is the team suppose to re-shuffle and accommodate your new "hobby"?
I see nothing but trouble with your approach.
Here is what I think you should do. You should be the best at what you are assigned, for how ever long you have been assigned. Be the best cashier, the best cart attendant, not show spot, or impress a TL/ETL. It would be so you are content with yourself. Having performed a task to the best of your abilities and given a 110%. With an attitude like that you will never ever be miserable. Best of luck.

Pursue what you are happy about. Car sales are tricky though. The successful ones make good bank but it's a high pressure job. You seem to be a driven individual so it shouldn't be a problem but just something to keep in mind.

Online car buying is a growing thing although I don't understand how people can buy a car without test driving it.

Online car buying is a growing thing although I don't understand how people can buy a car without test driving it.
Test drive it first at a local dealership, then go home and do research and reach out to multiple dealerships. If it's a new car, it will be exactly the same at every dealership.

From a consumer's point of view, it relieves so much pressure if you know what you want and negotiate the price before sitting down with the salesperson.

You have a role to play in the team .which is cashiering/carts. Yet you don't want to do that. You want to do something else,and not your part. The team can't function if team members don't their parts well.
Now you claim to be miserable doing what you do know,right?
What makes you think the next task/role in the team assigned to you will be to your liking? What happens when you get bored of your new position? Is the team suppose to re-shuffle and accommodate your new "hobby"?
I see nothing but trouble with your approach.
Here is what I think you should do. You should be the best at what you are assigned, for how ever long you have been assigned. Be the best cashier, the best cart attendant, not show spot, or impress a TL/ETL. It would be so you are content with yourself. Having performed a task to the best of your abilities and given a 110%. With an attitude like that you will never ever be miserable. Best of luck.

Now now I never said I was miserable lol. I'm looking forward in life, I guess I should of mentioned that this is all down the road. I still need to do college which Target will be perfect for, I have 401k set up, I have LTD setup, I have life insurance being funded, I have lots of local discounts setup, and a good relationship with everyone and I am without a doubt the best at what I do at my store.

I do want to see how far I can get in with Target. I've been trying to get an electronics position to further give me the experience in Sales and Customer Service, might want to get into a Hardlines position. Might try for a TL position, that's definitely a maybe.

Pursue what you are happy about. Car sales are tricky though. The successful ones make good bank but it's a high pressure job. You seem to be a driven individual so it shouldn't be a problem but just something to keep in mind.

That's actually interesting because if online car sales are really going up that means more and more people already know what they want and have done their research and are confident they like what they're getting. The bad thing about ordering brand new or buying used online is you can't barter effectively. It just feels you can't haggle down a price like you could in person. In all honesty, the way I assume Car Salesperson work nowadays... is less pressure, more on securing the sale for the car for the right price for you. Online you're paying full MSRP unless there's an ad discounting it or a sale going on.

I feel dealerships should have no problem price matching the same exact car someone might of found from another dealership in the area or an online ad as long as they get the sale, at least that's how I think I'll run the show.

A good job at a dealership is, a service rep. Always busy..

I'm assuming that if I want to work at some dealership I might not be able to jump right into sales. I could become a Detailer for a little bit, I suppose, although I don't know everything about detailing. Actually, the only thing I don't quite know how to do yet is paint touchups and the removal of scratches, I decided to try and remove a bunch of scratches on my car and 3/4 spots I removed scratches on are left with minimal sanding marks or none at all, but one spot on the driver door is horrible... will need to go in and repolish or something next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back