New POS has GOT to go!

Has anyone figured out how to check how much is on a gift card on the new POS?

A cashier sent a guest up to the service desk to do that today. And it reminded me how often guests want printed slips for the gift cards they buy, especially during the holidays.

I went to a new POS register to see if I could figure it out and I couldn’t. Has anyone else? That could be a real pain this Christmas.

In all of my years on this planet I have NEVER encountered such a basket of bull as this new POS system. I would be so ashamed to be a part of the purchasing management team that implemented this so called "system" and I'd have laughed my way to tge bank if I were the company that sold them the piece of trash.

I have to tell you I'm a programmer and coder and know a bad system when I see it. This system appears to me to be running on an old Win10 OS older than dirt and they made no accommodation to make the keyboard functional as well as the screen. As a result 8 out of 10 guests get bounced a different register to have their entire order rung up again because there's no way to check them out.

With all the idiocy going on that they have people in those little plexiglass toll booths that act as heat amplifiers and humidifiers, wearing masks, the fact that the plexiglass is installed improperly thus rendering the usual placement of bags too low (unless you're short), has made the entire experience just a chore from hell.

If one actually wants to keep claiming, as Target does, to keep their stores so clean then how come every time I come in the check lanes are absolutely filthy?

Between having to clean up all the filth just to check in to a lane, then set the thing up, then find out that the screen is not working so I jumped to another one and find out that that one isn't working either so I took to another one and find out that that card reader isn't working so I jumped to another one and find out that that screen isn't working so I jump to yet the next one and find out that the drawer doesn't have any cash in it...to jump to YET ANOTHER one which the belt doesn't work on and yet to another one that some slob spilled some kind of sticky stuff all over so I have to send the guests back to pick out new items because there's nobody available to go get them for them and I already put them through the belt and set them on the end only to find out that everything's all sticky!

I've edited this three times because I keep forgetting how many times I have to jump lanes and why.

What REALLY pissed me off was right after I punched in the GTSL telling me to scan faster when I've always been the fastest person that they've had in the store UNTIL the terrariums, masks, misplacement of bags, and absolutely INSANE POS system.

I will no way, no how, work Black Friday. I can't even stand it for an hour a day now

It takes me almost 5 to 7 minutes to check out one guest because damn screens don't work. I say I'm sorry to guests so many times in a day it's like a broken record.

In the interim the GSTL is telling me to scan faster when I can't scan it all because damn scanner doesn't work because nobody bothered to clean out the slide-out tray that's caked full of dirt filth and glitter from the last year!

Am I the ONLY person to see this crap?

WTF!?!?

I USED to love my job there. I'm on verge of leaving because it's just too dirty and stressful anymore.

I swear to you... I literally used to love my job at Target.
I swear the self check out systems and even the new system causes delay when it comes to putting the cards in to pay. I’ve noticed that a lot recently at my store.

Has anyone figured out how to check how much is on a gift card on the new POS?

A cashier sent a guest up to the service desk to do that today. And it reminded me how often guests want printed slips for the gift cards they buy, especially during the holidays.

I went to a new POS register to see if I could figure it out and I couldn’t. Has anyone else? That could be a real pain this Christmas.

you don’t. it is not an available feature yet

It's frustrating as hell that's for sure. All of us hate them too. Thankfully guest services is still on the old system at my store for now so I continue to use those registers as much as possible if I do jump on (we have IGS). They claimed they're supposed to be faster and more convenient... But they're not at all.

I used to be able to scan about 2 items per second give or take on the old registers. Now it's like I have to keep slowing down or rescanning things because the scanner lags between items and can't keep up. And the hand scanner used to scan as fast as you could pull the trigger now you have to be patient and wait almost a full second before scans. The keyboard was much faster and responsive than the touch screen. I know all the K buttons by heart and sequentially hit them without ever needing to look at the screen. Now you have to launch these dumb applications and wait for them to load if you need change or something else then go back to the in store checkout app. Suspends don't work either. Red card payments don't work yet so the we have to tell our guest to go to guest services and wait I another line.

So how is all this helping with speed? It's way slower. Even when half our registers still ran the old system we could all see the TMs on the old systems checking out twice as many guests as the new ones. And yes, they crash at least twice as much as they did before. If we get guests with big orders our service and engagement etl told us to do multiple transactions if the guest was okay with it so we don't have to rescan their entire order if it crashes.

I HATE the way they decided to do the minor alcohol override. It is agonizingly slow and requires me to sign in just to approve the sale. The cashier then is using my log in until their screen goes idle which, if it's a busy time, could be quite a while.

In all of my years on this planet I have NEVER encountered such a basket of bull as this new POS system. I would be so ashamed to be a part of the purchasing management team that implemented this so called "system" and I'd have laughed my way to tge bank if I were the company that sold them the piece of trash.

I have to tell you I'm a programmer and coder and know a bad system when I see it. This system appears to me to be running on an old Win10 OS older than dirt and they made no accommodation to make the keyboard functional as well as the screen. As a result 8 out of 10 guests get bounced a different register to have their entire order rung up again because there's no way to check them out....... I swear to you... I literally used to love my job at Target.
On multiple occasions, when our Self-Checkout and Register POS units are being serviced or totally rebooted, I've seen the Windows XP operating system logo. Perhaps this is simply a hiccup in the boot sequence for the current POS devices, but it's conceivable that Target still pays Microsoft for support services on the ancient Windows XP OS. XP was introduced in 2001, it was a very fine OS in its day (support was terminated in 2014). In big companies many absolutely essential devices require Windows XP, and won't run on Windows 10. If Windows XP remains a part of Target's IT (and seeing the XP logo doesn't necessarily mean the underlying OS isn't more modern), that might be part of the problem.

I used to be able to scan about 2 items per second give or take on the old registers. Now it's like I have to keep slowing down or rescanning things because the scanner lags between items and can't keep up. And the hand scanner used to scan as fast as you could pull the trigger now you have to be patient and wait almost a full second before scans. The keyboard was much faster and responsive than the touch screen. I know all the K buttons by heart and sequentially hit them without ever needing to look at the screen. Now you have to launch these dumb applications and wait for them to load if you need change or something else then go back to the in store checkout app. Suspends don't work either. Red card payments don't work yet so the we have to tell our guest to go to guest services and wait I another line.
MyDay has similar sorts of issues. It's slow, buggy, convoluted to do things for no real reason, and my favorite one of all, incomplete. Despite it being almost 2 months now that they've forced us to backstock and pull in MyDay, they still have not added some of the features from MyWork so we still have to use MyWork anyway!

Whatever the development philosophy is at Target for these new applications, it's not working. I certainly think one big part of it is that it's painfully obvious they have not been designed by people with knowledge or experience of actually working in a store. There's definitely a disconnect between the developers and the users, and the problem is that feedback can just be ignored or not gathered at all since we don't have a choice in using any other programs so there's much less of an incentive to improve it.

MyDay has similar sorts of issues. It's slow, buggy, convoluted to do things for no real reason, and my favorite one of all, incomplete. Despite it being almost 2 months now that they've forced us to backstock and pull in MyDay, they still have not added some of the features from MyWork so we still have to use MyWork anyway!

Whatever the development philosophy is at Target for these new applications, it's not working. I certainly think one big part of it is that it's painfully obvious they have not been designed by people with knowledge or experience of actually working in a store. There's definitely a disconnect between the developers and the users, and the problem is that feedback can just be ignored or not gathered at all since we don't have a choice in using any other programs so there's much less of an incentive to improve it.
Oh yeah. Incomplete. That's definitely the word. If it's not complete, why are they in such a hurry to roll it out into their stores? It doesn't provide a great guest experience when we have to rescan a 2 shopping cart order during a pandemic because a register crapped out on us that's for sure.

And guest services used to be great because it would automatically print you defect and clearance labels every time you did a return and tell you which cart things went with smart sort. Now you have to sit with a zebra and scan every single item with my work to see if it's clearance, if it's discontinued, pair the device to the printer and print the barcodes for everything so it's taken us 2 to 3 times as long to process returns. Oh wait! We don't use my work anymore because that wasn't good enough, now we use my work to print labels because we were just finally getting used to checking everything with the my work! Smh

Back