MEGATHREAD New POS (post-cutover)

azure

Service Advocate
The new system sucks. Whoever is making this needs to fix it up. Clearly you guys don’t work in the stores so you guys don’t understand what the system really needs. First you need to fix it’s speed. This system is so slow it’s impressive honestly. It shouldn’t take 2 minutes just to load the basic scan page. It also shouldn’t take 2 minutes to close a register. I don’t know how you guys managed to make the system so slow but it’s terrible. Make it so if the register has a check lane number then it automatically loads the checkout app instead of going to the Home Screen. If an item is scanned like strawberries or raspberries it should never ask how many there are. Waste of time clicking 1 ever single time. Make it so banking is part of the checkout, service desk, and Starbucks app. What I mean by this is make it so you can request money and add money in those apps. You can keep the banking app for more in depth money things. Add a “close register” button to the main login screen. Make it so you don’t have to wait in between scanning items with the hand scanner. Add the keyboard back. Make it so you can use the system without the touch screen. Add a setting or something that allows you to use the keyboard instead of the touchscreen or both. It’s 2x faster using the keyboard. Once the funds get changed add a screen that says the register is closed so people know not to use it. This new system should be exactly like the old system just a different UI and a different format. The old system might be messy but in my opinion it’s 100x better then this new one. So much needs to get fixed. Make it so you can remove target circle once it’s added. Please stop adding this system to all the registers. Just because it’s functional doesn’t mean it should be used. Also make it so different team members have different statuses on the register.Service desk and managers should get access to everything like they did with the old system and regular cashiers should be a bit more restricted. Obviously cashiers that have worked for a while should also get that advanced status. Too many problems are going to happen because a team member did something on accident. Cashiers don’t have my devices or walkies so they can’t check price matches. There should also be a way for cashiers to request items. For example if the cashier hit help and pressed item needed then a search bar would come up for the cashier to search the item. Then once they find the item and request it all the team members will get a notification on there mydevice saying that this register needs the item and it keeps requesting until someone says they will grab it for them.

Problem idea: There should also be a admin app that can reload other registers and do everything that the csc can do. Every register should also have like a support section that explains how to fix every problem. Too many problems can only be fixed by calling the csc and having someone come out. There should be a smart guide that has all the problems and explains how to fix all the problems. The help system could be used to fix other registers. It’s not hard to switch a motherboard or hard drive if there are detailed instructions. Stores should also have all the parts of a register in case something breaks. Team members could go to the help guide to see how to fix the problem then see how to do each step.

Slow scanning fix: Lift up the scale from the handle on the back and unplug the far left cord which is the power cord and plug it back in. After a minute of the scale starting back up it will be back on and will scan fast again.

This is an old screenshot but basically the same. I like to say they yassified it

Attachments

• hk9bVezlueczshgVEE8Vv3Lkpqbe7s3is3IgVKXJsDw9EOD7aDod4TrfIgGay8JzlRfLtj467fMKZqzawFjlNN-QSeintV...png
    hk9bVezlueczshgVEE8Vv3Lkpqbe7s3is3IgVKXJsDw9EOD7aDod4TrfIgGay8JzlRfLtj467fMKZqzawFjlNN-QSeintV...png
    691.3 KB · Views: 144
how often are you guys fucking up returns that this is an issue for you? the last time my team post voided a return was weeks ago
It’s a rarity but also a massive pain when it is fucked up. Aka team member returns wrong number, guest comes back saying they no longer have the card or what not, it’s not an everyday thing but it needs to be there. They should be going forward with new POS, not backwards.

the last time my team post voided a return was weeks ago
So you admit such a feature came in handy when your team needed it.

It’s not about the team messing up; having the feature doesn’t entice the TMs to mess up.

Having it just provides an easy solution for the Guest when a mistake happens, be it on the Guest’s or the Team’s account.

So you admit such a feature came in handy when your team needed it.

It’s not about the team messing up; having the feature doesn’t entice the TMs to mess up.

Having it just provides an easy solution for the Guest when a mistake happens, be it on the Guest’s or the Team’s account.
knowing that you have an escape hatch promotes carelessness ime. once we moved to new pos on 3 of our 4 registers we became a lot more careful about our transactions to make sure we don't make the sort of mistakes that necessitate post voiding a return

the fact that target even let you do it is bonkers. no other retail job i've worked at (in ~20 years in retail) has ever let me post void anything, much less a return

We have new people who make mistakes. I don't know about your store, but most of our GS team is hired straight to there. Some can be cocky know it alls and some are slow to catch on to all the info. Post voids were a GSTL number thing, so maybe we need to go back to it being a supervisor thing. We shouldn't be playing in hardcore mode at GS when we are dealing with people's money.

Having no post void for returns also assumes pos will never glitch during a return. A pretty big assumption.

i didn’t need it every day but it was nice to have, not even for mistakes but sometimes guest would change their mind about refund method after I processed. It was nice to make it right

how often are you guys fucking up returns that this is an issue for you? the last time my team post voided a return was weeks ago
It happens about once a week maybe? Less probably. But it has potential to be bad on high value returns, and it's also an exploit. Guest says "I don't have that card anymore" and they really do. Double their money back.

knowing that you have an escape hatch promotes carelessness ime. once we moved to new pos on 3 of our 4 registers we became a lot more careful about our transactions to make sure we don't make the sort of mistakes that necessitate post voiding a return
I see what you mean, but sometimes TMs might be like "$$$ back on the Visa card", the guest might not realize that that was a VISA gift card they don't have anymore until after we process the return. They don't tell us that the card is expired or canceled until after the fact. Post voiding returns must be an option even if it has to be through make it right. In the mean time, I'll just make sure to wait before processing, say the last 4 on the card and ask if that's okay. Also, on the old POS, it would not let us post void a return that went back to a debit card.
What we've been having to do for now is do a make it right return, basically by doing the return twice. Post voiding a return makes much more sense than processing a refund twice.

we became a lot more careful
Became more careful, but not impermeable to making a mistake, or even eliminating the possibility of a Guest confirming that’s how they want their refund, turning around, and then changing their mind or remembering the VISA ending in 8821 is a gift card in the landfill.

Encourage precision and demand perfection out of your team all you want — mistakes happen.

do a make it right return to fix the mistake
Doesn’t this just give store credit?
But let’s also say that the refund is a high dollar refund. Now you’ve put $167.89 back on a lost VISA gift card, and will now issue another $167.89 in MRC. Yeah, nothing compared to the “billions and billions of dollars this company makes every year” but that is also not the right way to fix costly mistakes.

Or hell, just give the Post Void function to TLs and above like the MIRR feature.

Became more careful, but not impermeable to making a mistake, or even eliminating the possibility of a Guest confirming that’s how they want their refund, turning around, and then changing their mind or remembering the VISA ending in 8821 is a gift card in the landfill.

Encourage precision and demand perfection out of your team all you want — mistakes happen.
THIS ^^^
Doesn’t this just give store credit?
no, MIRR is like old pos, can be any refund method

I would be fine with TL and above but SOMEONE should be able to do it

oop. Honestly, Kinda happy we can't do any more ID limit returns. There was this guest at GS the other day wanting to return a pillow the usual no receipt, no card, don't know when they bought it. S&E ETL couldn't do anything so she was told no. It felt good.
I believe in making it right for the Guests who deserve having their wrongs righted.

I see what you mean, but sometimes TMs might be like "$$$ back on the Visa card", the guest might not realize that that was a VISA gift card they don't have anymore until after we process the return. They don't tell us that the card is expired or canceled until after the fact. Post voiding returns must be an option even if it has to be through make it right. In the mean time, I'll just make sure to wait before processing, say the last 4 on the card and ask if that's okay. Also, on the old POS, it would not let us post void a return that went back to a debit card.
What we've been having to do for now is do a make it right return, basically by doing the return twice. Post voiding a return makes much more sense than processing a refund twice.
Actually on the old pos you could post void to a debit card purchase you just had to type in the receipt number. I remember doing it one time for ap and tbh I don’t even know if it worked but it went through and ap said I did as much as I can so it was whatever

I see what you mean, but sometimes TMs might be like "$$$ back on the Visa card",
easy solution here: "back on the visa card ending in 6969?". if you just say "back on the visa" that means a lot of things

Post voiding returns must be an option even if it has to be through make it right.
make it right is the intended solution here
Post voiding a return makes much more sense than processing a refund twice.
i understand your perspective but as someone who has actually had to be in charge of setting up card processing for a small business, i assure you it does not for a variety of reasons. just re-doing the second return a second time and forcing it back to a different tender is a far better solution on the banking side and accomplishes the correct in-store goal, which is: make the guest happy

"back on the visa card ending in 6969?".
And if I had a dime for the many times I have clearly and without stutter, mumble, or hesitation read back to them crystal clear the last 4 digits of the card for them to say “yes” and then, as the receipt prints, them retort with, “oh wait, was that XXXX? I don’t know that card. I think it was a gift card,” I’d have more money than Mr. Cornell.

You can turn the screen around for them to read it black and white for all intents and purposes, and the Guest will still say yes and change their mind 10 seconds later.

just re-doing the second return a second time and forcing it back to a different tender is a far better solution on the banking side and accomplishes the correct in-store goal, which is: make the guest happy
Yeah that’s great and all for $5, $20, maybe even $50.
But to do a double-return for a high-dollar item — once to a “ghost” card and once more to the preferred tender method — will accrue more loss than if the Post Void function existed again.

Not to mention, this gives free license to buy stuff on the disposable gift cards, return it, confirm to the Service Advocate I want it back on VISA 6969, “forget” it’s a gift card, and ask for my money back via a MIRR TL override, and now I have twice my money.

An unnecessary liability that will be exploited in the name of “happy scammers Guests”.

Yeah that’s great and all for $5, $20, maybe even $50.
But to do a double-return for a high-dollar item — once to a “ghost” card and once more to the preferred tender method — will accrue more loss than if the Post Void function existed again.

Not to mention, this gives free license to buy stuff on the disposable gift cards, return it, confirm to the Service Advocate I want it back on VISA 6969, “forget” it’s a gift card, and ask for my money back via a MIRR TL override, and now I have twice my money.

An unnecessary liability that will be exploited in the name of “happy scammers Guests”.
this is what i hate about a lot of service desk team members and an attitude that i have actively had to try to stamp out. you care too much. why do you care about the company losing money? is it your money? no it's not your money, it doesn't matter, it has never mattered. just make it right for the guest and move on. if it's a known thief or scammer your ap will eventually catch on and you will be given license to refuse their transactions.

everyone just wants to give way too much of a shit. you work in retail, you're pretty bottom-rung, taking the stance of the holy knight of target battling back the karen hordes of darkness who want to scam (who are far less than you ever think they are) is just giving yourself stress you don't need.

this is what i hate about a lot of service desk team members and an attitude that i have actively had to try to stamp out. you care too much. why do you care about the company losing money? is it your money? no it's not your money, it doesn't matter, it has never mattered. just make it right for the guest and move on. if it's a known thief or scammer your ap will eventually catch on and you will be given license to refuse their transactions.

everyone just wants to give way too much of a shit. you work in retail, you're pretty bottom-rung, taking the stance of the holy knight of target battling back the karen hordes of darkness who want to scam (who are far less than you ever think they are) is just giving yourself stress you don't need.
It’s also called being a steward of proper business practices and ownership of your place of employment.

It is our money. It is our business. And AP isn’t the only one responsible for assisting in preventing loss, else everything in the store would be not Spider’d, and all we’d have is SCO.

The software function is what we are here to discuss. It worked without issue for 20+ years and was not a source of complaints from either side of the counter.
It worked. Give it back lol.

It’s also called being a steward of proper business practices and ownership of your place of employment.

It is our money. It is our business. And AP isn’t the only one responsible for assisting in preventing loss, else everything in the store would be not Spider’d, and all we’d have is SCO.

The software function is what we are here to discuss. It worked without issue for 20+ years and was not a source of complaints from either side of the counter.
this is the wildest most self-important shit i have ever read on this forum and i have read a lot of posts. i'm out, i can't ever engage with you ever again

it’s literally not your money. believe it or not, most guests are honest!

also, just because it worked *in store* doesn’t mean it didn’t cause issues on the enterprise finance side of things, which it definitely did and is why it was removed

this is the wildest most self-important shit i have ever read on this forum and i have read a lot of posts. i'm out, i can't ever engage with you ever again
Dang. I was really just seeing it from a different perspective but I’m sorry we can’t see eye to eye. My bad.
it’s literally not your money. believe it or not, most guests are honest!

also, just because it worked *in store* doesn’t mean it didn’t cause issues on the enterprise finance side of things, which it definitely did and is why it was removed
Most** yup.

New POS has really opened my eyes to the reality that the “Yes Store” model is what we want lol.

Y’all, I’m learning a lot. Sorry for the previous ideas. I will be more “yes”-y from now on.

Dang. I was really just seeing it from a different perspective but I’m sorry we can’t see eye to eye. My bad.

Most** yup.

it’s not your job to worry about dishonest guests unless your leader or ap specifically tell you to deny a specific transaction. your job is literally to make it right for the guest

Back