MEGATHREAD New POS (post-cutover)

If you happens enough especially with big amounts Target will definitely notice. I’ve been with the company 11 years I know what I speak about.

if it’s happening in big enough amounts that “target will definitely notice” something very bad is happening at your store and your entire AP team should be replaced. hope this helps!

I get what you mean but If the store (especially S&E TLs and AP) deem that scammers abuse you can translate into you working service desk less. Trust me I don’t like how much money we made spot (especially considering we didn’t get bonuses this year) but I don’t want to let scammers win. That's not me talking as an employee that's me talking like a person.

if your ap team’s response to scammers is “this person should work at the service desk less” and not “we will build a case against these scammers and refuse their business” they’re doing their job wrong :)

In getting back to the new POS, I find it somewhat odd that the desired workaround for exchanges is to put the return $$ on a gift card and then use that gift card to purchase the new items. So then just throw the gift card away? In my area, plastic bags are 10 cents because they are apparently single use although many people use them for more than just hauling their items home. A gift card though? Straight into the trash and that's not dumb?

Multi-receipted returns and exchanges in general are a PITA.

And why is it that the Guest Service app cannot be smart enough to realize that if you scan a UPC barcode, you’re trying to sell an item, and proactively switch to the In-Store Checkout app instead of saying, “I don’t know what you’re trying to do”. Yes you do.

idk abut your store but if I consistently "made it right" for scammers, AP would make sure I had less hours real quick

But all of this is off topic and doesn't relate to New POS.
No they would talk to you first about it. You will always know if you are doing something wrong they won’t continuously let you do something that is harming the store. If AP or a leader isn’t saying something you are doing just fine and should continue to advocate for the guest.

No they would talk to you first about it. You will always know if you are doing something wrong they won’t continuously let you do something that is harming the store. If AP or a leader isn’t saying something you are doing just fine and should continue to advocate for the guest.
I get what you mean but the thing is (at my store at least ) They want to leave GS alone. The front of store leads and AP have much bigger fish to fry especially with Karens and my store's new SCO being bipolar. If Guest Service has a lot of people committing scams then AP has to go out their way and talk to each and every one of us and then the TL has to print a sheet of signs of scams and etc.

It’s something that can totally be avoided if GAs used their common sense rather than just “Keep doing something until someone tells you to stop”

EDIT: Also if it is something serious to where the GS TM is in the wrong and thinking that someone is scamming but in reality, they aren’t (idk about your stores but at my store, GS normally has pretty good judgment) the guest is going to speak To a TL and if it is needed a TL will talk to me

Last edited:
Multi-receipted returns and exchanges in general are a PITA.

And why is it that the Guest Service app cannot be smart enough to realize that if you scan a UPC barcode, you’re trying to sell an item, and proactively switch to the In-Store Checkout app instead of saying, “I don’t know what you’re trying to do”. Yes you do.
And vice versa. If I scan a receipt in store mode, bring me to GS.

And vice versa. If I scan a receipt in store mode, bring me to GS.
I don't really understand why they made the apps separate. In the origin of this thread, I remember talking about how they are moving everything into one app into myDay but separate the apps on the registers. The only difference is, The registers can handle the apps being combined, they're all just locked down web apps but the myDay wants ALOT of ram and the device just can't handle it. You're asking a device for resources it doesn't have

Just do what you can. Don't do what you can't do. It is what it is. If target wants to incur loss, that's their problem. We can only do our best.
We had scammers that buy thousands in Electronics and return them on giftcards. We know it's a scam. We have no proof or reason to stop them. All we could do is assume and complete the returns then report everything to ap, unless I have proof of the scam and can safely stop it. Like the price match one where they went to a different store on the same day.
There is actually a corporate team that is monitoring this and all those large transactions with gift card laundering. Don’t worry, Spot will get them. And I’m sure your system has already sent red flags up the chain. Not something store level team monitors though so yeah just keep on.

There is actually a corporate team that is monitoring this and all those large transactions with gift card laundering. Don’t worry, Spot will get them. And I’m sure your system has already sent red flags up the chain. Not something store level team monitors though so yeah just keep on.
That scam with the returns on gift cards is fixed. It involved a glitch with our system and yes there was a way to know when it happened but it involved knowing the scam. It involved the old system and only ap TLs and ETLs knew it. The glitch is patched and it was actually considered fraud because it was abusing a glitch in our system. It wasn’t a return but it was likely a price adjustment. I’m not going it say how it worked because this is a public thread but it was genius.

I’ve noticed New POS has allowed them to patch a lot more scams. You can no longer “cash out” MRCs*— no receipt and MRC returns under $5 go back on MRC, not cash. We used to have guests who would come in with MRCs and then try to return like $4 items one by one. Super annoying.

*in states where it’s not required

The Apple products return scam is fake apple products. It’s typically airpod pros. They will have the exact same software as regular AirPods and look real but are bought for cheap on a website like alibaba. You have to check the serial number inside the lid of the AirPods and make sure it matches the serial number of the case. The serial number is in small grey font inside the lid of the AirPods. It will take some time to find your first time finding it. This scam happens daily at many targets and it’s up to the team member to catch it not corporate.

I’ve noticed New POS has allowed them to patch a lot more scams. You can no longer “cash out” MRCs*— no receipt and MRC returns under $5 go back on MRC, not cash. We used to have guests who would come in with MRCs and then try to return like $4 items one by one. Super annoying.

*in states where it’s not required
Although I could be wrong here I assume that when they were building the new POS they had easy updates in mind. I couldn't imagine how difficult it must be to set up new features or implement new restrictions on the Classic.

That scam with the returns on gift cards is fixed
Those are two different scams. Both are fraud. The giftcard one involves the one you commonly see on reddit where a group of people show up and buy out all your apple products and return them later with giftcards. This hasn't been patched and is outside of our ability to stop at the store level.
The glitch is patched and it was actually considered fraud because it was abusing a glitch in our system. It wasn’t a return but it was likely a price adjustment.
The 2nd one was patched kind of on new pos. It wasn't a glitch on classic because a tm happily provided the override code which can still happen on new pos, but a TL should definitely recognize the scam.

I feel like you're right but it definitely doesn't now. it says "can't find suspended receipt" or something like that
SCO is also a real PITA about speed ids as well.. it has to be on store mode screen and has to be done with the hand scanner.. for some reason I haven’t had luck with it working with flatbed scanner. And even then it wants nothing to do with it on the scan screen. If it could just recognize it’s a speed id and jump straight to the store mode pin entry that would be great

SCO is also a real PITA about speed ids as well.. it has to be on store mode screen and has to be done with the hand scanner.. for some reason I haven’t had luck with it working with flatbed scanner. And even then it wants nothing to do with it on the scan screen. If it could just recognize it’s a speed id and jump straight to the store mode pin entry that would be great
Or not ask for a PIN. That was the point of Speed IDs.

Those are two different scams. Both are fraud. The giftcard one involves the one you commonly see on reddit where a group of people show up and buy out all your apple products and return them later with giftcards. This hasn't been patched and is outside of our ability to stop at the store level.

The 2nd one was patched kind of on new pos. It wasn't a glitch on classic because a tm happily provided the override code which can still happen on new pos, but a TL should definitely recognize the scam.

I have no faith in some TLs/ETLs. I had an ETL allow a guest to use an ID from a person's volunteer job (they volunteered for the state and were given this "state issues ID") to return 6 Everywell allergy test kits. The TM did all the overrides and handed her a MRC with $700 on it. Then the lady bitched because she couldn't use that card online. This is where I came over. The TM said "oh I'll just start over and put it on a regular gift card" The lady was so mad when her ID no longer worked and she left with her allergy tests and no money.

Or not ask for a PIN. That was the point of Speed IDs.
On SCO no pin should be required, I agree. It’s actually more secure that way I don’t want guests watching me enter my pin. Plus someone’s always watching SCO so if they saw it enter store mode with no ™ they wouldn’t let the guest get away with T anything

Maybe it's an issue with your stores SCO flatbeds. Whenever I've been closing and banking SCO since they updated to New POS, I haven't had any problems with scanning my Speed ID on the flatbed. And might I say how much of a godsend they are for the NCR SCOs, even though they don't do our PIN. Those screens are so bad, especially now that they've updated and had do many screen calibration issues, that any time saved not touching those screens is good.

To be honest, the new Speed IDs are not really useful outside of SCO and the lanes. Those two places have flatbeds where we can just set our Speed ID down and it does the magic. When I'm at Service Desk, or I'm banking Electronics, Pharmacy, Starbucks, etc, it doesn't really save much time when I have to scan it with the hand scanner IMO.

SCO is also a real PITA about speed ids as well.. it has to be on store mode screen and has to be done with the hand scanner..
I think this has something to do with new pos being web based. The login screen is a completely separate page to new pos. Like the mydevice requires login to gatekeeper.
for some reason I haven’t had luck with it working with flatbed scanner
I noticed just this morning the flatbeds weren't working until I logged in the first time.

Back