New register system???

azure

Service Advocate
Recently our store got a new system on half our registers. It’s kind of like the self checkout system just more functions. Anybody else have it yet and what are your thoughts if you do?

New POS, pretty, but a long way to go. I believe its pretty rare for a store to have it so far because of how limited it is.

New POS, pretty, but a long way to go. I believe its pretty rare for a store to have it so far because of how limited it is.
Our store has had some of these for a while though these comments maybe out of date.

Requesting cash for a register isn't in the menus as far as I know.

When you scan some produce in packages (i.e. blueberries) it asks you for the quantity for some reason

You can't suspend a sale, get a printout and take it to another to the register

As usual Spot gave no training on the new POS

Our store has had some of these for a while though these comments maybe out of date.

Requesting cash for a register isn't in the menus as far as I know.

When you scan some produce in packages (i.e. blueberries) it asks you for the quantity for some reason

You can't suspend a sale, get a printout and take it to another to the register

As usual Spot gave no training on the new POS
You can request cash under banking on the home screen. You can suspend but only bring back up on new pos not on old. I hate it asking how many on berries etc..

Recently our store got a new system on half our registers. It’s kind of like the self checkout system just more functions. Anybody else have it yet and what are your thoughts if you do?

It just appeared with no notice. No one is using them rn bc no one has had time to play around with them.

However I have bc of closing duties and that whole process just sucks and feels incomplete.

also..absolutely hate the lack of keyboard and the way it handles sale of alcohol if your a minor.

In my state, the new POS machines won’t process WIC checks. The new system won’t let us input the last digit of the check number; you have to go and take the guest to one of the registers operating the old system.

The new system also freezes up often, whether during the scanning of the items or during the processing of payment. You have to go and re-ring the order on another POS.

In general, the new system is extremely slow in everything it does. Switch to the banking or Guest Service app? Wait for it to load. Scanning items too fast? Wait for the system to catch up to you. Seriously, when my phone starts acting as slow as this new POS, I begin thinking about getting a new phone.

In all honesty, switching back and forth between the two systems feels like you are working for two different retail chains.

Last edited:
They're pretty slow. Eh. I do like that it has the ability to do service recovery giftcards instead of going through the requisition process. FYI, if you use a PIN on your myDevice, that's the PIN for the new POS.

The only real speed issue is with switching apps or loading the store checkout app after signing in.. everything else works fine for me. I’m sure the app launching speed will be something that is addressed

They're pretty slow. Eh. I do like that it has the ability to do service recovery giftcards instead of going through the requisition process. FYI, if you use a PIN on your myDevice, that's the PIN for the new POS.

We've always just couponed out those giftcards, as opposed to requisitioning them.

Our store has them on half the lanes. I had the misfortune of going through checkout with one of them. Three items and it crashed after scanning the 3rd & final item (so, not like I was taxing it or anything). It seemed to scan my Wallet, but refused to go to the pay screen or respond in any other way. Almost made me late to my shift (cashier was new and we didn't know if she should just move me to another lane or if it was likely that the transaction had gone through but the UI was waiting to catch up).

We've always just couponed out those giftcards, as opposed to requisitioning them.

We used to do that, but it's not best practice. Corporate put out some communication uh... back in January, I want to say, stressing that you should issue service recovery giftcards in approved ways.

Okay. Why can't you actually close down the registers when you bank them at night? Like with the old system, you get the Bullseye Dog filling the screen so you know the register is closed. This new system? Just the log-in screen. So really, someone could come along and start checking guests out after the start funds are already banked.

doesn't matter since any cash would just process as part of the following day's cash office and any card transactions would just go onto same day business

Just curious if we have to reauthorize users every few months and if so how do we do that?

Also, how do we requisition supplies with the new system?

You requisition stuff at a register with the old software (service desk, I wanna say Tech too?) because you can't do that on the new software yet. There's stuff on Workbench about what the new POS can and cannot do.

Just curious if we have to reauthorize users every few months and if so how do we do that?
Each store is allotted so many spots for TMs to be authorized on the registers. Once it hits that limit it will kick someone off. Best way to avoid that is to schedule enough guest advocates to run the lanes so the floor won’t have to come up and log in to a register. However. This is Target, not Utopia. Just let the SETLs continue to deauthorize the TMs numbers as needed, it’s only a minor annoyance and takes a moment.

Touch screens are so unnatural to use. Great for using a very short period of time (like a hoagie at Wawa) but not so great for using an extended period of time. Also, it doesn’t help whe the touch screens aren’t very responsive.

All registers at my store have the New POS system. So far it hasn’t crashed or gave us any errors. The only thing I dislike about it is adding money and closing the register, it shouldn’t take longer than it needs to be. I’d feel like it would perform way better with the newer hardware target released but it hasn’t spread to guest service but curious to know how well it will perform when doing returns or changes to transactions.

All registers at my store have the New POS system. So far it hasn’t crashed or gave us any errors. The only thing I dislike about it is adding money and closing the register, it shouldn’t take longer than it needs to be. I’d feel like it would perform way better with the newer hardware target released but it hasn’t spread to guest service but curious to know how well it will perform when doing returns or changes to transactions.

Also there isn’t anymore gstl function so literally some can change anything on the transaction and it will not alert TL any drastic changes.

Suspend doesn't work and going to a different register doesn't work either. Supposedly you can only suspend and retry on new POS but it doesn't even work on new POS.

Meat coupons don't work anymore...so you have to change the price on the item itself, I guess.

If you have a guest who didn't get the advertised gift card, you have to finish the transaction and then do a separate transaction for the gift card.

Gift receipts no longer single out only one or two items in the transaction: the gift receipt covers the whole transaction much like the old K4 (?) button did when a guest forgot to ask for one during the purchase.

Anything else?

Back