Archived New Repack Process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the shit this board has been giving Target recently, I would really find it hard to believe anyone would complain if this came to all stores. This is a great idea.

The problem is that for over the past +/- three years Spot has been promising this. Our DC's from what I've read on this board are not configured to do this across the board. It's most likely a very time consuming process for the DC's to perform.

There are few express stores compared to the regular stores too.

Wait a sec...is to replace the OB sorter? I mean, if so, I'm all for it. We're running a 20+ yr old tilt-tray sorter, so it could probably use an upgrade. I just didn't think HQ would ever pony up the cash for such a huge upgrade.

I wonder if Spot thinks they can use this to fill on line orders? Just speculating given the nature of the business and how Spot does things from time to time.

I often get frustrated with the way repacks have been as well as pet food pallets but i also understand that super sorting is time consuming and the most important thing is to just get the truck and whatever product delivered.. it’s going to be hard to change up your processes but you can do it!
Good luck to you all in the DC’s with these modernization changes because i know for me at least and my peers in the store it’s been hell but in different ways.

I've never been to or seen the DC operations but is there any way that boxes can come on pallets sorted by area? It would seem like all the diapers would be kept in the same area at the DC, yes? If so then why can't they be palletized before being loaded onto the truck?

I've never been to or seen the DC operations but is there any way that boxes can come on pallets sorted by area? It would seem like all the diapers would be kept in the same area at the DC, yes? If so then why can't they be palletized before being loaded onto the truck?

They aren't stored in the same area. They're stored in any available area based on height of the pallet. Nothing is sorted by area unless it's food or breakpack.

I often get frustrated with the way repacks have been as well as pet food pallets but i also understand that super sorting is time consuming and the most important thing is to just get the truck and whatever product delivered.. it’s going to be hard to change up your processes but you can do it!
Good luck to you all in the DC’s with these modernization changes because i know for me at least and my peers in the store it’s been hell but in different ways.

Try 60 hours a week hell without air-conditioning. Again, it makes more sense to pay a kid 13 an hour to sort through the stuff instead of a warehouse worker getting $33 an hour on OT.

As stated nothing is stored in the same area, and the nothing is then picked at the same time either.

Here is food for thought for you. Our dc services 70+ stores. There are idk, lets say 70 different types of diapers (size/brand/style). That is a lot of pallets to either have sitting out to sort by store or to sort in a similar way the dc sorts noncon.

When they pull a pallet of diapers they take it to depal where a machine tilts the pallet so the product ends up on a line, someone labels and then it goes up to the sorter where a machine scans the label and sends it to a store. It is an impossibility that they hand sort everything into pallets by product type/aisle for every store. Otherwise stores would never receive product.

Love how store tm’s can point a finger when they can’t even sort repack boxes by color. That’s alright pay the person at the dc $24 an hour to sort boxes instead of store tm’s doing it right the first time making $13 an hour.
What? We get green repacks with domestics items (pillowcases seem to be a favorite) and red repacks with clothing in them. So I don't think it's store TMs who can't tell their colors. That's not touching on the many labels with either no number circled or the wrong number marked. Usually a few of those each truck.
As to the one valley per repack concept goes - oral care is consistently in its own 20 box, and it is easy to push just down that one valley which is why I now usually start with those and quickly clear space on my u-boat. Other stuff though? Not seeing it yet.
It'd really float my boat if sporting goods and seasonal and toys didn't all come in the same box. I'd also love to see the several eaches of the same product come in the same repack box instead of spreading them out to 4 different ones.

As stated nothing is stored in the same area, and the nothing is then picked at the same time either.

Here is food for thought for you. Our dc services 70+ stores. There are idk, lets say 70 different types of diapers (size/brand/style). That is a lot of pallets to either have sitting out to sort by store or to sort in a similar way the dc sorts noncon.

When they pull a pallet of diapers they take it to depal where a machine tilts the pallet so the product ends up on a line, someone labels and then it goes up to the sorter where a machine scans the label and sends it to a store. It is an impossibility that they hand sort everything into pallets by product type/aisle for every store. Otherwise stores would never receive product.
Why can't it be done with freaking holiday candy. Ridiculous to send 1000+ cases over 2 days of seasonal candy all loosy goosy on the truck. Palletized that crap!

We get green repacks with domestics items (pillowcases seem to be a favorite)

Green repacks (and some security) come from a different DC that handles lower volume items, those DCs only use green (aside from security). Part of why it’s a pain when boxes aren’t separated since we have to separate them out just to put them on a trailer to go back to those DCs.

Why can't it be done with freaking holiday candy. Ridiculous to send 1000+ cases over 2 days of seasonal candy all loosy goosy on the truck. Palletized that crap!
How do you propose to do this?

Ik with some tr events they try to throw that freight at once, or they did in the past. What they would do is put it in the repack box, when they throw it on the line they put a dayflag on it and then someone takes it off the other end before it goes up to the sorter. Huge pain in the but and suuuuper boring. I had to do it once and that was enough.

Ik with some tr events they try to throw that freight at once, or they did in the past. What they would do is put it in the repack box, when they throw it on the line they put a dayflag on it and then someone takes it off the other end before it goes up to the sorter. Huge pain in the but and suuuuper boring. I had to do it

Ik with some tr events they try to throw that freight at once, or they did in the past. What they would do is put it in the repack box, when they throw it on the line they put a dayflag on it and then someone takes it off the other end before it goes up to the sorter. Huge pain in the but and suuuuper boring. I had to do it once and that was enough.
Honestly I would love to see the process. I really don't know how it all works or how its stored. For example how is softline hanging merchandise stored and picked?

Stored just like all other freight in the warehouse. So freight comes in on a trailer. Each carton is either put on a pallet or put in a cart with other cartons of the same dpci. If it were put in a cart, it then gets put in a location in the expansive racking system. When a store orders that item, someone goes and picks from that location for that item. If one store orders that item, that the picker opens that carton and takes out the single “shirt” or whatever it is. If enough stores order it they take the whole carton. The pickers pick based on zone. The pickers then take the cart they are picking to over to the packing area where packers scan the label and put it in box for a certain store. That’s how it gets sorted by zone first and then store.

Believe me, those aren’t any fun to pack either.
Just seem like it should of been set up like a assemble line, which they maybe. ..line up empty repacks..and just sort as you pack...bed.. bath..hardware..frames.. curtains..ETC. Less time consuming. At least those aisles are all together in most stores. Instead of just throwing pillows, screws, frames, sheets, vac and kitchen towel..👈another section in ONE repack with bottom falling out.

This is where target should be spending it's money. Make this more efficient for our new environment not on another hurdle that holds the same amount of merchandise...

Put a couple empty pallets on the back of the truck. When diapers, or plastic or market comes into the truck stack it on one of the pallets instead. It shouldn't take up any more space in the truck or at the DC.

Put a couple empty pallets on the back of the truck. When diapers, or plastic or market comes into the truck stack it on one of the pallets instead. It shouldn't take up any more space in the truck or at the DC.
There isn’t enough room in a trailer to have pallets on one side and a conveyor on the other. At least not without being a fire hazard. The conveyor is also 5+ feet off the ground at the tail of the trailer.

I wish the stores would send their seasoned employees to the DC's for a day to see how they operate. It's not even remotely possible to "put a couple empty pallets on the back of the truck". You have to do 500 cartons an hour onto your trailers, do you think they also have time to sort a few diapers off the back just so you don't have to separate 10 boxes when you get the truck?

Just seem like it should of been set up like a assemble line, which they maybe. ..line up empty repacks..and just sort as you pack...bed.. bath..hardware..frames.. curtains..ETC. Less time consuming. At least those aisles are all together in most stores. Instead of just throwing pillows, screws, frames, sheets, vac and kitchen towel..👈another section in ONE repack with bottom falling out.
So basically you want one packing station per store. So how do they know store A wants green sheets or yellow sheets? Or do they just scan the green sheets at each of the 75 plus stations until they find a winner? Not really he best way of doing things, not to mention the amount of space that would take up in the dc.

I think mehag was going more toward a larger number of zones, which they’re going toward anyway. A packing station is more less how they described with a box for each store, only working 1 zone at a time. The example sounds like low volume stuff though, which makes me think it’s a UDC issue rather than a RDC issue, their system has to be different since they supply 300+ stores each I’d guess, or their packing stations would have to be 150ft long.

There isn’t enough room in a trailer to have pallets on one side and a conveyor on the other. At least not without being a fire hazard. The conveyor is also 5+ feet off the ground at the tail of the trailer.

You think Target gives a shit about fire hazards? What you mean is they worry about the appearance or publicity of a fire hazard. They would literally burn babies to make money if they could do it on the sky. Our fire tunnel was 90% blocked the last month. Then when they heard we were getting a visit, it got cleaned .... for one day! So no, I don't believe they, upper management, cares.

You think Target gives a shit about fire hazards? What you mean is they worry about the appearance or publicity of a fire hazard. They would literally burn babies to make money if they could do it on the sky. Our fire tunnel was 90% blocked the last month. Then when they heard we were getting a visit, it got cleaned .... for one day! So no, I don't believe they, upper management, cares.
So “upper management” put all of that stuff in your fire tunnel? If not then why is it only their fault it’s there? Saying management doesn’t care doesn't mean you share no blame if your building goes up in flames and someone dies not being able to get out that way, you knew about it and did nothing. You could call corporate, or suggest to the fire dept that they do a surprise visit, etc and it’d get fixed.
If I have a pallet overhanging 6” into a fire walkway I’m going to hear about it by the first member of management to walk by, guaranteed. If I see that someone has a walkway blocked I’m going to tell them to move their crap, then I’m going to ask my or their OM to make sure everyone knows that nothing can be in those paths.
The actual point I was trying to convey, pallets next to a conveyor would be basically impassable for a lot of people, so loading a trailer like that wouldn’t be feasible even without the safety aspect.

So “upper management” put all of that stuff in your fire tunnel? If not then why is it only their fault it’s there? Saying management doesn’t care doesn't mean you share no blame if your building goes up in flames and someone dies not being able to get out that way, you knew about it and did nothing. You could call corporate, or suggest to the fire dept that they do a surprise visit, etc and it’d get fixed.
If I have a pallet overhanging 6” into a fire walkway I’m going to hear about it by the first member of management to walk by, guaranteed. If I see that someone has a walkway blocked I’m going to tell them to move their crap, then I’m going to ask my or their OM to make sure everyone knows that nothing can be in those paths.
The actual point I was trying to convey, pallets next to a conveyor would be basically impassable for a lot of people, so loading a trailer like that wouldn’t be feasible even without the safety aspect.

You make a good point. But I'm doing nothing because in the long run, it would make no difference but get me fired. Corporate has created this environment of saying one thing and doing another. My example: my thread on ethics training. If you'll read it, you'll see being given the answers, the answers already filled in, etc. The fire tunnel is specially mentioned in the ethics training. So how does Target reconcile this. Do something about it, but be retaliated against. I have no question that if I pushed this furs tunnel issue hard enough to get something done, I'd be gone. And the stuff would still be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back