Service & Engagement New SCO Pilot

There’s only about 20 stores total that are closing SCO completely. It goes into effect March 17th and it is only high volume ultra high shortage stores.

They also haven’t announced it yet but by the end of March all stores will be 10 items or less for SCO.
Thing is.... whether it's the economy or our location...MOST of our guests are baskets not carts. Barely over 10 items. When I v got 5+ guests at 3 open registers I ll take 60 seconds to open our bank of 4 sco and the guests are cleared in 10 minutes tops. Then I close them up till this next rush. However, 4 SCO on a weekend night has a line to the back of the store even opened most of the night and that's again with 3 casheirs who start calling people BACK over to their line. No matter how we try to work with the current system all we ever hear from guests is " chaos here", " it's so confusing" ,

There’s only about 20 stores total that are closing SCO completely. It goes into effect March 17th and it is only high volume ultra high shortage stores.

They also haven’t announced it yet but by the end of March all stores will be 10 items or less for SCO.
Yeah good luck stopping anyone. If they tell me to do that shit I'm not doing it. They ask these things and then wonder why guest rating takes a hit

Also, I honestly dgaf about guests angry I won't answer the phone. I was not hired to a call center. They already want me to do 5 million things, if they want me to take calls they need to pay me more. I don't take calls at home - what makes Target think I'll do it for them?

they’ll never close SCO fully chainwide. these machines are extremely expensive and their investments for the past like decade and a half would’ve gone to waste.

with that said, if you ask me this is just to rebuild the guest connection with the brand.

after they do that and the boomers (that have the most money out of everyone) that bitch and moan about no cashiers die, Everything will go right back to SCO.

Yeah good luck stopping anyone. If they tell me to do that shit I'm not doing it. They ask these things and then wonder why guest rating takes a hit

Also, I honestly dgaf about guests angry I won't answer the phone. I was not hired to a call center. They already want me to do 5 million things, if they want me to take calls they need to pay me more. I don't take calls at home - what makes Target think I'll do it for them?
There’s been roughly 200 stores doing it for the past 6 months and it’s mostly self policed. It’s not really an issue for most people.

They might be backtracking. We got an email tonight to toss the signs.

🤣 The front end ETL is going to be so bummed! She was very excited when I gave her the sign this morning as her team has been asking to make their own.

It baffles me that I went thru a remodel removing 9 registers leaving 10 to add more sco and now deal with this .
My store has 12 sco , 13 if you count the one by fresh and go .
One thing I noticed at the local Meijer (like a Walmart) is how the changed their SCO lanes.

Before you would just walk up to any of the SCO and go from there.

They it changed were you have to go through a feeder lane similar how they do it at TJ Maxx and Marshall's.

I assume it was for theft but the exit was literally right in front of the SCO lanes.

We have 6 SCO and 6 normal registers and guest service.

It never dawned on me that they were the same quantity until now.

If Target is so worried about theft maybe you should staff adequately?
Nah we'll just close the SCO for the first 2 hours of the day. That should be enough right?

Also maybe they should let the SCO attendant actually watch the SCO lanes instead of having them do candy or stealing them to go over to GS for OPU or DU and getting a cashier and making things even worse

I don't mind doing extra stuff but telling them to do everything but watch SCO and then getting mad at them for not catching a thief--uh, hello? Make it make sense, man

Last edited:
You say that likes it’s normal…. 4-6 is average with 12 being super high volume. I don’t think 20 even exist.
Yeah it does. One if the top 3 busiest stores in the country is in my district. 20 SCO registers. All being closed and funneling the people through registers instead. An absolute mess. But then again before this directive, they never had any cashiers only SCO which was also an issue. Basically a store needs both to operate smoothly IMO.

One thing I noticed at the local Meijer (like a Walmart) is how the changed their SCO lanes.

Before you would just walk up to any of the SCO and go from there.

They it changed were you have to go through a feeder lane similar how they do it at TJ Maxx and Marshall's.

I assume it was for theft but the exit was literally right in front of the SCO lanes.
I love Meijer. Since leaving Target I shop at Meijer more than Target. Much more pleasant experience!

Is there going to be a hardlock if you exceed 10 items or will it continue to let you scan? I never understood the 10 items or less sign but the system never enforced it, like during COVID with item limits.

I love Meijer. Since leaving Target I shop at Meijer more than Target. Much more pleasant experience!
I dont have one in my area but when I visit family in Wisconsin I ALWAYS stop in at meijer. Their selection is insane, they have every size, lots of real name brand and the fit of their store brand clothes is far better than walmart/target. And they are also less expensive that target. Love it.

I found that out when I was putting up a note on the break room refrigerator door asking if anyone needed hours filled that I was available... 🤣 😂
Reminds me of the swap shift sheets we had pre-MyTime app. Kinda wished we still had those.

The app is okay but some TMs still don't use it, and there's too much policing of shift changes. Half the time it won't allow me to pick up a shift that should be no problem and I have to get an override from leadership anyway.

@SigningLady @gsa4lyfe Welp, turns out Express Self-Checkout is gonna be a permanent chainwide thing starting Sunday the 17th of March. Corporate just announced it publicly yesterday. Hope you didn't toss out ALL that ISM. Otherwise be ready to order more lol.

To save you all a click:

"At Target, we’re always listening to our guests so we can deliver a joyful and convenient shopping experience. Checking out is one of the most important moments of the Target run, and we know that a fast, easy experience — whether at self-checkout or the lanes staffed by our friendly team members — is critical to getting guests on their way quickly.

During the pandemic, many guests preferred using self-checkout for all their purchases because it offered them a contactless option. Today, ease and convenience are top of mind, so, to learn more about guests’ self-checkout preferences, we piloted the concept of Express Self-Checkout with limits of 10 items or fewer at about 200 stores last fall. The result: Self-checkout was twice as fast at our pilot stores. By having the option to pick self-checkout for a quick trip, or a traditional, staffed lane when their cart is full, guests who were surveyed told us the overall checkout experience was better, too.

Guided by this guest feedback, we’re making updates chainwide to make our checkout experience even more enjoyable. Beginning March 17:

• We’re rolling out Express Self-Checkout with limits of 10 items or fewer at most of our nearly 2,000 stores nationwide.
  • We’re opening more traditional lanes staffed by our team members across all our stores for guests who have more in their Target carts, need a helping hand, or just enjoy connecting with our team to help them get on their way sooner.
  • Store leaders have the flexibility to open more lanes staffed by team members and set self-checkout hours that are right for their store. While the hours of operation may vary based on store needs, Express Self-Checkout will be available during the busiest shopping times.
  • We’re also continuing to invest in additional training to ensure that our teams can continue to provide great guest service during the checkout.
We’ll continue evolving to match guests with the right checkout options so they can get what they need — alongside same-day fulfillment services like Drive Up, Order Pick Up and Target’s same-day delivery. It’s all in service to demonstrate the convenience, joy and value of the Target run."

Back