Service & Engagement New Service Hubs (kinda rant)

So, I'm a pretty observant person and i noticed that for some reason we got new service hubs?

I have no idea why we would have gotten new ones considering the old ones worked perfectly fine.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that hardware is getting old and this and that. But the hubs were super overpowered for what they were to begin with and the new ones aren't really locked down properly!
You can access the ELO home screen from them! Although you can't do anything bad or open websites like before, you can basically exit the price scanner app.

Like for FUTURE stores i can see why they would want the newer models (as ours are discontinued IIRC) but why replace our existing ones? No way those things were cheap.

Typically companies replace things after a certain amount of years or after the manufacturers stop supporting the item. I assume ELO stopped supporting the older tablets since they are replacing the older ELO tablets that are used as time clocks too. It’s pretty common.

Typically companies replace things after a certain amount of years or after the manufacturers stop supporting the item. I assume ELO stopped supporting the older tablets since they are replacing the older ELO tablets that are used as time clocks too. It’s pretty common.
rightt which I get. But i mean. Whats not to support about them LMAO. Its not like they're just going to cease to function.

Send the old ones to my store. We have literally one working price scanner for the whole store
that another point of mine. Since the hubs were on back order and stores like yours needed them, why did they send your store the new ones first?

Same reason any tech company stops supporting older tech. Either hardware is not able to run the new software effectively or they force people to buy the newer technology
but thats my point, the hardware COULD run the software and hardware was MORE than enough for what it was doing lol.

but thats my point, the hardware COULD run the software and hardware was MORE than enough for what it was doing lol.
I didn’t realize you were a software engineer. They aren’t going to just kill them off the second they’re not considered functional. Normally is more of a hey within the next year we will be releasing updates that these tablets won’t be able to support or xyz. It’s pretty normal is all I’m saying I’m not sure why you’re so upset.

I didn’t realize you were a software engineer
lol. unironically have an engineering internship starting next week
I’m saying I’m not sure why you’re so upset.
look at unremodeled stores. those old price scanners SUCK and are constantly broken. like i said though. even in the next 8 years. those service hubs are still gonna work like they did before. because compatibility wasn’t the question asked.

that another point of mine. Since the hubs were on back order and stores like yours needed them, why did they send your store the new ones first?
If they really wanted to fix the price scanners why don’t they heavily modify the software on some of the older MyDevices and put one at each location? They make POE adapters for USB C so power won’t be an issue. They would just have to figure out how to keep it from getting removed from the area.

If they don’t want/can’t do that then they could always go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buybuy Baby and get the price scanners they had around the store as a temporary fix.

If they really wanted to fix the price scanners why don’t they heavily modify the software on some of the older MyDevices and put one at each location? They make POE adapters for USB C so power won’t be an issue. They would just have to figure out how to keep it from getting removed from the area.

If they don’t want/can’t do that then they could always go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buybuy Baby and get the price scanners they had around the store as a temporary fix.
no point tbh. wayyyyy over engineered. by the time you get POe adapters and mounts and develop software, it would be cheaper getting a service hub

no point tbh. wayyyyy over engineered. by the time you get POe adapters and mounts and develop software, it would be cheaper getting a service hub
But would it be faster? I know the one working price scanner has a lot of reshop near it almost all open hours. Once a microwave. It’s not that far from the microwaves.

what the fuck is that floor
😂 😂 😂 Now that's hilarious... at first glance it looks like concrete during a remodel and maybe that kiosk isn't hooked up yet... but then looking at it again, it looks like ugly, diamond shape tile with a yellow/gold grout with wood grain the color of concrete... 🤣😂😅 Me: who's the designer so I can block their number now !

Back