Archived New Team Member Instocks Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKousuke

Absolute Newbie
Okay. I have another dumb question.

I forgot to asks some questions while training. And I'll probably ask the next time I see someone. I was never trained fully on how to do endcaps and four by fours.

Like I was told on mon and thurs instocks do like....the rigs and then they do end caps and four by fours but I didn't think to ask what either of those mean and how to do them. I have a good grasp on everything else but I dont want to seem like I'm stupid or incapable, you know?

Also you think anyone would idk think less of me for continuing to ask questions even after I've finished training?

I will soon be an etl and i cant speak for all of us but i wouldnt see that as a bad sign...eagerness to learn and try is a very good qualitiy.
'Doing endcaps' means tieing items to an endcap(shelfs on the outside of the aisle) its basically putting a new product on there and telling the system that you did it, so it can replenish the sold products. As for how to do it, i rely on muscle memory so i can exactly speak you through it.
4x4 's happen monday-friday. An ETL will tell you certain aisles you are assigned too(such as A10-A20). You will have to zone all the product there(make it look good) and scan any outs(spots with no product) if your mydevice says there is no product in the backroom, then you will put a gray dot sticker on the dcpi.
Feel free to ask me anymore questions

I thought it wouldn't be seen as bad, but I just don't want to seem completely clueless or annoy anyone...because I actually enjoy this job a lot more than my old one [I really don't want to go back to fast food]

I'm still a little confused with the end cap thing. Is it putting items that weren't on that end cap before there and setting them up? Or is it replenishing items on the end cap? I'm assuming its the first one, but I want to be sure. If it is the first one, do I make the decision of what goes there or does my ETL tell me? Or is it in the system?

Also thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help. I've only worked for a week at this point so I'm still pretty clueless but hope to get over that in a month or two.

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. Leadership would prefer that you know how to do your job correctly.

I'm not on instocks so I can't help you with RIGs, but I might be able to help with the rest. When you do a 4x4, superzone the aisle, make sure there is no outstanding product in re-shop or unpushed pulls, print any missing signs and labels, and research any outs. If you have the product in the backroom, drop a research batch or use Fill From Stockroom, and make sure the product gets pushed. If the product is out of stock, apply a gray dot as you would when you're doing regular instocks scans.

I'm still a little confused with the end cap thing. Is it putting items that weren't on that end cap before there and setting them up? Or is it replenishing items on the end cap? I'm assuming its the first one, but I want to be sure. If it is the first one, do I make the decision of what goes there or does my ETL tell me? Or is it in the system?

It's better to replenish the product that's supposed to be on the endcap if possible, but if you have to flex in a different product because you have too many outs, make sure you use Store Tie and print a flex label for it. If you're not sure what product to flex, ask a TL or ETL. Usually a similar product looks best.

Okay. I have another dumb question.

I forgot to asks some questions while training. And I'll probably ask the next time I see someone. I was never trained fully on how to do endcaps and four by fours.

Like I was told on mon and thurs instocks do like....the rigs and then they do end caps and four by fours but I didn't think to ask what either of those mean and how to do them. I have a good grasp on everything else but I dont want to seem like I'm stupid or incapable, you know?

Also you think anyone would idk think less of me for continuing to ask questions even after I've finished training?

Maybe its different at other stores but at mine instocks training is less than adequate. There's a lot to pick up and once your couple of days (if that) of actual training are over you're going to have to figure out the rest through asking questions, puzzling it out for yourself and making mistakes. Try and find who's the main instocks person at your store and work with them. If they're decent they will not mind you asking questions because then that means less mistakes and misunderstandings they have to correct. I love it when the team asks me questions!

Some pointers though:
RIGs? This stands for something but I can't remember what. Its basically just the system wanting you to double-check the item counts for specific things. Just go where the task list tells you to. Try not to scan the shelf label right away though! If there's an item there, scan that first. If its the wrong thing, scan items around it and see if they're the right one. Instocks teaches you to assume somebody pushed something in the wrong spot. You can skip a RIG if you have to but try not too.

Endcaps? Goal here is to make endcaps a) look full and b) not a pain to restock later. You're going to want a printer and some flip labels. If it has a backroom location, drop a batch and move on. If you don't push your priority pulls or can't trust salesfloor to do it right, grab some product from the home location to fill that endcap space. If it doesn't have a backroom location either grab some from the home or print a generic label and flex over with something that is either on that endcap or really, really close by. Don't grab a pillow from four aisles down unless you are desperate. Or an LOD who doesn't know better. Also if your store has LODs fill front endcaps like mine, instocks should be double-checking their work.

4x4s? The goal is to make things look pretty and be accurately stocked. You're going to pull product to the front of the peg/shelf, pull overstock off the shelf, pull reshop off the shelf, print labels that are missing, maybe flex over some discontinued product, maybe make sure all the ad signs are up. It might seem like a waste of your time if its a busy day but trust me, this helps you out later down the line.

Sorry if that's a bunch of words. I had a moderately productive day of instocks and am still excited about it.

I think since our store is understaffed and being remodelled that thats the reason why were having issues. In the shifts that I have most days due to training, we barely finish research and we push our own stuff but we don't always finish. I haven't been told four by fours on any of my days because we've literally had no time. A lot of the days I had to help with stuff from the truck before training. The head of logistics seems really really nice, but I've only spoken to him once and thats when he was trying to find my trainer who had his walkie off.

I'll have to ask someone the day of when I do endcaps to show me the specifics on how to do it. I get when I read it, but I'm super visual and I'msure they wouldnt mind teaching me something I don't know or havent been shown at all yet. I havent been shown how to print labels at all.

It's really comforting to hear/read? that its not that I'm just bad at learning but that its just that I have to learn as things go a long. A couple of the other instocks have pretty much told me it took them a few months to get the hang of things. I've just been super nervous because this is like my third job ever and the whole 90 days thing. I want to be good enough that I'm kept because wow I dont want to go back to working in fast food again.

The fact that you care so much about doing the job correctly tells me that you're going to do well. Just keep asking a lot of questions. When I was on the instocks team I probably drove my Backroom Team Lead crazy with all of my questions, but I learned the job very very well. Just try to ask the right people though.

What mrknownothing and myself are saying about 4x4s is how its "supposed" to go. But in reality everybody's got too much to do to spend thirty minutes collecting a cart's worth of overstock and printing off a batch of signs. Same for research; you're supposed to put a certain level of effort into it but most days you don't have the time to check everything you should. This is going to sound terrible but after a while you'll probably figure out where you can cut corners to get the job done enough.

Instocks isn't really that hard; the concept's pretty easy to catch. But to do the job well, I feel like you have to know a lot of random facts and that takes time to pick up. When I'm training somebody I have to force myself to do it in stages and remember to bring up things as they're relevant. Not to jump into "here's the vendor product and here's how the drastics work and the CAF process and research dates and labels and this and this and this-" On the other hand, do it long enough and you get very good at knowing where things are.

And seconding what Produce Queen said about asking the right people. From personal experience, when in doubt double-check what you've been told with the TL or ETL.

I figured as much. Thats how it seems to be going at my store honestly with a lot of other things.

I've had two trainers so far but one of my training days. There was no instocks scheduled so I ended up helping flow instead. And one of the ETLs has been trying to schedule me an extra shift becasue she wants to make sure I get everything. Still tomorrow morning is my first big kids shift so I hope it goes well.

Also, what is drastics?

But again its good to know that it just requires time to pick up.....now if only I could get over my anxiety of using the walkies inccorectly haha.

Drastic counts report. Normally when you research an item it doesn't update until the next day. Unless the difference between what you input and what the system thinks is on hand is ~$100 or more then the count stays the same and goes on the report. In theory somebody will regularly print the report off and double-check the items that come up. Its a way to catch things like unlocated pallets of grills in the backroom, everything on a shelf being pushed one spot the left or somebody putting "99" instead of "9" for a count.

When a count change is made by you that is $100 or more (I'm pretty sure that's still the amount), it goes on a report called The Drastic Count Report. This report needs to be "worked" before the count actually changes. Basically it's so that a 2nd set of eyes looks into it before causing a loss. Due to time constaints, the report doesn't get worked very often, so the count never gets changed. My work around was to have another TM research the DPCI to zero the same day I did, which would then cause the count to change. I would only do this if I had thoroughly looked everywhere for the items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back