Archived New technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably why we have the report where you can see who last signed in. Granted, if someone stole an iPod without logging in then it would look like whoever had it last lost/stole it.

Several stores that recently had their P-Fresh conversion done went with a new prototype of having additional access points installed so they were evenly spread apart in any direction throughout the store.

Triangular tracking is on the agenda, so I would advise against even thinking of taking the devices out of the store.

On a side note, 9200's are officially rolling out company wide, you should be seeing a Compucom tech visiting in the near future. Please don't stare into the Class 2 LED's. Seriously, don't.

Last edited:
At huddle yesterday, the LOD said that we are now allowed to carry our cell phones with us (like we didn't already) to help the guest through the target app. My thought - Target didn't purchase my cell phone. So thanks! I will still carry it with me, but just so I can text. Now if what he said comes true about a pay increase for people who use the app to help the guest, I might be on board with that.

At huddle yesterday, the LOD said that we are now allowed to carry our cell phones with us (like we didn't already) to help the guest through the target app. My thought - Target didn't purchase my cell phone. So thanks! I will still carry it with me, but just so I can text. Now if what he said comes true about a pay increase for people who use the app to help the guest, I might be on board with that.

Not sure what's so bad about using the app. It has helped me so many times, I probably use it at least 3 times a day in electronics, looking up movies, books, and CDs. And honestly Target can't force you to use the app on your phone, but they technically can force you to not text and you will get coached for doing so (if you got caught a few times). The app is very helpful and so much better than the PDA, I've been using it since before Target even "allowed" it.

We are also a test store for the new IPod Touch devices. Honestly, it's no different than whipping out my iPhone and looking up a movie or book on the target app that way, in fact it may be slower since Target didn't do anything about the fact that you have to log into its Wi-Fi each time you turn on the phone (I rely on my 4G LTE for that exact reason). It's a good idea for some people, but all of us in electronics already carry around our phone with the target app because it's just so much faster.

Also a test store for the iPod touches. Worthless. No functionality. Target.com app. Big whoopie doo. They sit in the cash office on the chargers. As part of the vibe rollout, we encourage all TM's to carry their phones to assist the guests, especially now with the HUGE push for cartwheel. We are now asking guests for red cards and cartwheel at the checklanes. Backup city.

At huddle yesterday, the LOD said that we are now allowed to carry our cell phones with us (like we didn't already) to help the guest through the target app.

Damn near every TM with a smartphone and an ETL staff that aren't policy thumpers has been doing this ever since the smartphone app was released. It's 100x more useful than item search on the PDAs.

The app is so much better and faster than the PDAs... and it tells you what aisle stuff is in if you have the store set. I use it for shopping. My store's never as staffed as it should be so I can't rely on asking TMs from the depts I'm shopping in.

Target should do the hidden ssid wifi for the store's equipment, though. Doesn't make sense to have to login every time. That just slows the process down.

iOS 7 apparently has the ability to connect to free wifi automatically, so maybe it'll work with Target's guest wifi? Idk if that feature is exclusive to phones or not.
source: http://lifehacker.com/top-10-secret-features-of-ios-7-1336967278

Target should do the hidden ssid wifi for the store's equipment, though. Doesn't make sense to have to login every time. That just slows the process down.

Store level actually has several hidden SSID's for Target authorized mobile devices that they will only see, including but not limited to PDA's, iPad's, iPod's, O'Neil printers. The Guest Wi-Fi is the only one that is unveiled and broadcasting openly within the store that you will see on your phone/notebooks or any other mobile related device you bring to the store.

Yea, haha, that's pretty obvious (even more obvious considering many of the in-store devices pre-date the guest wifi thing and they all needed to be connected to something), but VibeNUp is in a test store said the ipods were using the public, guest wifi. I was just responding to that. I know how hidden SSID addresses and mac address authorization and all that jazz works.

So yesterday we were told to give up all our PDA's that we were using. Not knowing what was going on, I groaned because I was in the middle of sales planners. I give my PDA up, and lo and behold I get a MC9200 back! ZOMG I AM IN LOVE! These things are amazing, and with good reason!

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US...es/Mobile+Computers/Handheld+Computers/MC9200

They have dual core processors, and Windows Embeded Compact 7. These babies are lightning fast compared to the old PDA's. When I scan something or even when I am switching between apps, it is pretty instant!

Better than the old ones, but these things are twitchy.....I hate typing numbers in the thing and getting letters as well (enter 10, get 1z0 despite not being anywhere the letters), and backstocking last night, I had to keep redoing because it would double up my quantity.....no, I entered 5, not 55........

Love the 9200 (we only have one at our store, specifically for flexible fulfillment), but it's not compatible with MyFA. Hopefully a patch will be released soon.

I skipped several replies so I'm not sure if it's been said, but Lowe's uses iPhones on the sales floor, each department has one letting them take calls easier, but they also have a card reader on them and a scanner like pda's have. They're pretty handy.. would be nice to see target use something like that.. They're in an otter box like case that protects them from drops and such.. They allow access to things like Lowes.com as well as competitor sites, even youtube access (this can be abused to watch whatever they want) but its for the intent of how to videos that lowes has on their channel.. um you can make labels and pretty much everything you can do on a typical pda with the Lowe's iphones..

Last edited:
Better than the old ones, but these things are twitchy.....I hate typing numbers in the thing and getting letters as well (enter 10, get 1z0 despite not being anywhere the letters), and backstocking last night, I had to keep redoing because it would double up my quantity.....no, I entered 5, not 55........

I noticed this also. Seems like it also has trouble scanning pick labels. I could scan a manufacturers UPC from across the room, but pick labels I had to get right up on.

I noticed this also. Seems like it also has trouble scanning pick labels. I could scan a manufacturers UPC from across the room, but pick labels I had to get right up on.
I noticed that these things do not hold a charge as well as the older ones (which we still have some of, thank goodness). I get one fully charged and maybe 2 hrs later it's down into the yellow and a couple hrs after that it's red. I usually go thru 2 a night (at least).

So it's the same form-factor as the "PDTs" we already have but with newer software and better internal hardware? I hate carrying the PDT, but they have buttons for the letters so I like them for that reason... for the rare occasion that I search for something by its name. I was hoping that when they get newer tech, it'd also get smaller. No such luck, I see. I think even the PDA is a little big/bulky. It pulls my pants down a centimeter if I use the belt clip holster.

I hope we get new equipment soon. I am so tired of the PDA's. I've been doing CAF pushes for a few months now and it is such an annoyance to stick the PDA under my armpit so that I can carry a box of stuff to put away. It also seems to like to play hide and seek as I can never find it on my three tier when a guest needs assistance. I just wish we could all have the handheld PDA's and a belt to use. It would be so much more convenient. Plus, almost all of our PDA'S are practically in bad shape. They're missing letters, the trigger doesn't work on almost all of them, so you have to use the yellow button on the front and they're extremely slow. Plus, I would love some new walkies, because we never have enough and all of them are in bad shape. We just need all new equipment, one can dream!

Does everyone's store call these things something different!? At my store, they call the big one a PDT and the smaller, more easy to hold one a PDA...

the big ones are PDAs, the smaller ones are LPDAs. I believe "PDT" is carry over from even older units.

This. It surprised me to hear a transfer call the PDAs PDTs. PDTs were before my time. :D

I still say LRT occasionally. The black leather holsters for those were far better than ANYTHING Target has used since. I would kill to be able to be able to buy one somewhere.

This. It surprised me to hear a transfer call the PDAs PDTs. PDTs were before my time. :D

I still say LRT occasionally. The black leather holsters for those were far better than ANYTHING Target has used since. I would kill to be able to be able to buy one somewhere.

Our equipment logs still say MSA on them.

LRT, huh? Now we're going old-school.

MSAs lol. What a failure those were. Although, now that there is much better equipment available, it would be nice for the POG team to have access to a tablet that could access a lite version of workbench. Maybe just message boards, Online POG, transition communication, adjacency calendar, etc. Just the stuff they usually have to run back to the office for.

Our store used PDT for the big ones and LPDA for the little ones.
I guess we had enough of the old timers to carry the old timers to have fixed the terms and we just thought they were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back