Archived New technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The keyboard input issue is a known thing, a solution is still in the works as it popped up in version 1_6 awhile ago. Suspect it might have to relate with an old registry change from long ago in late 2012 when pilot first began that had addressed the first generation POC's that were being used at the time.

A change that was made at suggestion regarding the O'Neil printers, logging out of WebApp's completely will reset any printer association that you have (Label Printing, SDEF, MyFA, etc). In regards to RFAPP's however, you'll still become "stuck" with the printer until it either times out from inactivity or trick the printer thinking it is out of paper by popping the lid open and attempt to printer a label, prompting for a new association with a new printer or 'C-ontinuing' with 'reloading' more labels.

at my store, we have another iPad at the service desk (aside from the one used for price matching) and an iPhone at the fitting room. currently, their only purpose is to be used for the target app.

This. It surprised me to hear a transfer call the PDAs PDTs. PDTs were before my time. :D

I still say LRT occasionally. The black leather holsters for those were far better than ANYTHING Target has used since. I would kill to be able to be able to buy one somewhere.

Just transfer to my store. We have one sitting unused in our equipment cabinet.

We got two or three new PDAs for Flexible Fulfillment. They're basically the same as our older ones, however these ones have a crosshair laser instead of that straight horizontal line, so scanning things is more fun now :)

We got two or three new PDAs for Flexible Fulfillment. They're basically the same as our older ones, however these ones have a crosshair laser instead of that straight horizontal line, so scanning things is more fun now :)

Sounds like you got the MC9200s. I like that they're faster than the old PDAs, but they don't work as well for ad takedown.

Sounds like you got the MC9200s. I like that they're faster than the old PDAs, but they don't work as well for ad takedown.

Disable cross scanning mode (Crtl+Red button).

You're welcome :)

Short list of added hotkeys/functions:

CTRL + Green Key = Enabled Cross Scan Mode (This is on by default whenever the device is cold booted)
CTRL + Red Key = Disable Cross Scan Mode
CTRL + B = Battery Life (Useful when the percentage isn't displaying properly (shows as '***' on the bottom of the wrapper)
CTRL + M = MAC Address (Useful for CSC troubleshooting)
CTRL + S = Serial Number of device (Useful for CSC troubleshooting)
CTRL + X = Close Naurtech session and exit to main screen on WebApps. (Best used when RFAPP's becomes unresponsive after a network disconnect or access point association issue)

Blue Func Key + 5 = Refresh (Effective in WebApps when a webpage doesn't load properly and to force the screen to come up)

An important thing to note about Cross Scan Mode, WebApp's and RFAPP's are two separate sessions and thus can each separately have an different scan mode enabled/disabled. (RFAPP's can have it enabled while WebApp's has it disabled, and the PDA will remember the settings for the two even when you toggle back and forth between the applications)

Also, Compucom/DRC fully supports replacements for the 9200, so if something breaks (screen, front glass, keyboard, trigger, rubber boot pieces, etc) it can be replaced, just make sure you select "MC9290" on the DRC page for the correct model type.

Last edited:

LOL. You said ad takedown. Didn't even know stores still did that. Sorry, I'm trollin this thread.

LOL. You said ad takedown. Didn't even know stores still did that. Sorry, I'm trollin this thread.
We''ve been doing ad take down for months now. Pretty much since we went to the extended hours. This past Saturday we were there until 12:30. And I am always scheduled to close. It's gotten really old now.

Disable cross scanning mode (Crtl+Red button).

You're welcome :)

I'll have to try that. I'm not sure if it's because of the crosshair or the fact that it's a LED imager rather than a traditional laser that it has trouble reading the barcodes.

Got a bunch of 9200s last week. Their ability to scan a barcode in any orientation while holding the PDA level is amazing. No more swiveling the wrist 85 different directions because retards can't stick and face barcodes on casepack shelves properly.

But I think that my list of positives ends there. I'm not including positives such as all triggers work, backlights work, etc. My list of negatives is thus:

• Character repeat. It doesn't exist. With the 9090 and 9060, let's say you meant to press 4 keys, but accidentally fubared your way to pressing 10. Just press and hold backspace until the 6 extras disappear. 9200s? Nope, you gotta press backspace 6 individual times. Same with trying to scroll through 10 pages of batches in something like POGs. That's 10 key presses, not just holding the down button once until it scrolls to the bottom. No key repeat == BAD. This is in RF APPS.
  • On the MyHome screens. when pressing most menu selection items (my progress -> logistics -> top button on that screen -> heading for any given caf hour), pressing the selection once only highlights it. I have to wait about one second and press it a second time, THEN the menu selection actually activates. On the 9090s and 9060s one press both highlights and activates.
  • With all three PDA models, there is a little beep right when you successfully scan an item. This is independent of the beep that can be muted via the volume button; this one can't be muted. THIS beep, is WAY too loud. I scan my badge instead of typing in my TM number, and holy sh** that beep is really loud in my ear.
  • The sound that is made when you press a key on the keypad is very slow. If you're very fast with the PDA, as any experienced backroom TM is, the mismatch between physical key press and the key press sound can throw off your rhythm and slow you down a little. It's disconcerting. You do 6-8 key presses in less than a second or two (bouncing around between menus, functions, and shift+7 toggles), but the 9200s speaker may only register half of those key presses. This was not a problem on the 9090s and 9060s - they were 1-to-1, no matter how fast you were.
  • With a 9090 or 9060, when you press the trigger to scan something, and the item registers, the laser disappears and the PDA does it's whirs and beeps and buzzes and screen changes as needed. If you are fast enough, you can enter your quantities, point the PDA at the next barcode to scan, and hold the trigger. The red laser won't show up until your previous actions have all completed. When those actions complete though, the red laser immediately activates since you have the trigger already pressed. I don't know if I described that well enough, but believe me it makes the daily backroom quantity audit a tad less painful. With the 9200s, this preemptive trigger holding doesn't work. When the PDA catches up with your actions, and you are holding the trigger, the laser won't show up. You have to release the trigger and re-press it (or, obviously, don't preemptively hold it).
  • The scan distance is bad. With a 9060 or 9090, I can basically snipe barcodes from pretty far away. Handy for those casepacks shelves that are allllllmost out of your reach. With the 9200, it seems I have to be less than 9 inches or so away from the barcode. Not good for shelves on the threshold of your reach distance.

I know these probably sound like minor and insignificant things, but backroom TMs live and die by the PDA. We use them for nearly 8 nonstop hours. We are very experienced with them and very fast with them. They are like an extension of ourselves we use them so much. As such, we notice and feel EVERY difference, no matter how small. When you live and die by the PDA nonstop for 8 solid hours, these tiny problems become magnified 100x and are really, REALLY annoying.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I really am grateful to have new equipment. Even with these shortcomings, I still choose a 9200 when it's in the cabinet over a 9090 or 9060 because it really is a luxury worth having to have a working trigger scanner, working screen backlight, working keyboard backlight, and scanner that can tag barcodes in ANY orientation.

Also, this is all aside from the problems my store still seems to have such as really slow scanning responsiveness for functions like STO, SUBT, and NOP. This is universal to all PDA models and all software versions currently on our PDAs and hasn't changed.

Last edited:
Good review ^^^ Hopefully if corporate doesn't pick up on this feedback from here, they provide TM's an opportunity to give thorough experiential feedback through an official channel.... and actually use said feedback to make improvements.

With all three PDA models, there is a little beep right when you successfully scan an item. This is independent of the beep that can be muted via the volume button; this one can't be muted. THIS beep, is WAY too loud. I scan my badge instead of typing in my TM number, and holy sh** that beep is really loud in my ear.

Yeah this one is really annoying. I was putting away reshop last night, after store close using NOP, and each beep echoed throughout the store.
There's no way to mute or lower the volume.

With all three PDA models, there is a little beep right when you successfully scan an item. This is independent of the beep that can be muted via the volume button; this one can't be muted. THIS beep, is WAY too loud. I scan my badge instead of typing in my TM number, and holy sh** that beep is really loud in my ear.

Yeah this one is really annoying. I was putting away reshop last night, after store close using NOP, and each beep echoed throughout the store.

This one drives me nuts!

This one drives me nuts!

I have not touch 9200 to play with yet. I do like the cheat sheets everyone has given!

, but backroom TMs live and die by the PDA. We use them for nearly 8 nonstop hours. We are very experienced with them and very fast with them. They are like an extension of ourselves we use them so much. As such, we notice and feel EVERY difference, no matter how small. When you live and die by the PDA nonstop for 8 solid hours, these tiny problems become magnified 100x and are really, REALLY annoying.

pyle.jpg

This is my PDA! There are many like it, but this one is mine! Without it, I am nothing. Without me, my PDA is nothing.

*sniff* I thought I was the only one who felt this way...

Last edited:

I've got some of them to lower the volume of the beep on NOP.

We got to play around with an MC9200 today at the Service Desk, until the GSTL saw us with it. She yelled at us saying that it was only supposed to be used for flexible fulfillment, so back in the locked drawer it went.

We got to play around with an MC9200 today at the Service Desk, until the GSTL saw us with it. She yelled at us saying that it was only supposed to be used for flexible fulfillment, so back in the locked drawer it went.

That doesn't make any sense though, MC9200's don't buzz do they? I don't think they do... Fulfillment should have LPDA unless they want to keep checking every 20mins..

The 9200's can be used for everyday use, not just task specific. The new ones were sent along with the additional equipment all stores received for FF since the 60's and 90's are being slowly phased out. And correct, alerts are currently not working correctly (no jingle, no animated ' ! ' button) on the MC9200's and MC40's, and there is no ETA on when it will be working currently.

Speaking of MC40's, pilot has begun and has moved from POC in 2 stores to a larger base. Brand new stores actually will start to begin their life with full rosters of 9200's and 40's and none of the older equipment next year.

does anyone have the MC40s (LPDA) yet? I have 3 new 9200s (PDA) in my store the rest are 60s and 90s. Whenever we send an older model PDA out to DRC they just send back a a brand new 9200. So my ETL LOG just sends them out one by one now since literally all of our equipment have something wrong with them. (we have one PDA that we refer to as an obese LPDA. The handle of the PDA literally snapped off so its just the top half of the PDA.. still works but for some reason we haven't sent it out yet SMH

Is that the little one without the handle? We have new ones of the little ones (no clue what the real name is or what the model number is) and we have some 9200s.

Sorry, I keep forgetting the actual names because my store apparently uses antiquated names... pdt (for big ones) and pda (for little)

We got 12 9200 and sent the 9060's back but got to keep the 9090's, no lpda's so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back