Archived New TL Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarjarbinks

Hungry and confused.
Hi all! I'm a new external hire at Spot. The position I applied for was Sales Floor TL, but I found out that there is no hard opening during my interviews.

How common it is to be hired as a TL at a store with no hard opening? My ETL-HR and STL have told me I am going to be cross-trained in a few different areas. This week, I am training in GS, SL, HL.

Am I being duped, or is this a standard procedure?

I greatly appreciate any input you can offer me!

From what I've heard, if there are no positions open at the time an offer is extended, you will be placed on the TL bench until one opens up.

They'll want to see how you perform during your training.
You'll be 'in the pipeline' until they're satisfied that you're ready.
When you go thru your interviews & get signed off by your STL & DTL, THEN you'll be 'on the bench'.

They'll want to see how you perform during your training.
You'll be 'in the pipeline' until they're satisfied that you're ready.
When you go thru your interviews & get signed off by your STL & DTL, THEN you'll be 'on the bench'.

Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

To the OP: Getting trained in multiple work centers is to your benefit anyway because you will have more options for TL positions, meaning you will possibly become a TL more quickly. Based on the promotions I've seen at my store, new TLs don't always get the position that they interviewed for.

I'm cornfused. :) So you applied for a TL job, and are getting paid as TM? Or are you getting paid as a TL but not assigned to a department(s) yet?

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Basically, I applied for SFTL, had interviews with ETL, STL, and DTL, then got offered the position. So I'm being paid and trained as a TL, but I don't have a department. I don't know what to tell people when they ask where I was hired, especially with all of the seasonal team members, and I'd like to avoid ruffling any feathers of my potential team members, if possible. It's a bit confusing, for sure. :confused: I've been saying that I'm on the bench but I just get odd looks. I guess I'm just hoping for reassurance that I do have a job, that's all.

Ah, so you're a team lead, but without a team. I'd tell people that you ARE a team lead, but don't actually have a department yet.

A "benched" team member is somebody who has interviewed for a TL position, passed, and is then still working as a team member until a position opens up. Then when something opens up, they get promoted and trained as a TL in that department. But while they're on the bench, they are NOT a lead, nor are they getting any extra pay.

Sounds like they are expecting an opening after 4th quarter(somebody might have informed HR that they are leaving soon), and they're just getting you ready to fill in. They wouldn't tell anybody that....as letting a team know that a leader is leaving in a few months doesn't really help things...so that's probably why they are being vague.

You're most likely a backfill for someone promoting, quitting, or being performanced out. There's a small chance that they could expect to move up an org chart and gain an additional leader. Whatever it is, kudos to them for proactively staffing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back