Archived New to TPS, but already want to hide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomNerd

Working In Spiderwrap Hell
I'm new to Target. I've been with TPS for about a month and a half. I have a couple PMRs this month. I don't consider myself awful at my job, but maybe still inexperienced.

Today I learned a harsh lesson about a shoplifting technique while I was on my own. I don't think I ever felt so stupid in my life. I don't fear for my job, but I am utterly embarrassed about what happened. When I look back on it, I realized that everything might have been totally preventable. I couldn't even look my AP in the face when I clocked out. I just left quietly, then got home and sat in utter shame about what I could have done to prevent the theft. It wasn't a petty one, either!

I have to work tomorrow, and I just want to not go in... I can't imagine what my team thinks of me now. The thing is that is also happened so fast, and I let my guard drop for one second. One second...

I just needed a place to kind of 'vent' it out or something. I'm not discouraged, but I do feel pretty darn stupid because I was actively looking for PMRs. I suppose I also learned that I need to pay closer attention to merchandise placement on the sales floor so that I don't make this mistake again. It wasn't a lot of merchandise, but it was pretty pricey.

I've dealt with suspicious people before. I had a law enforcement job. I know what they look like, or I thought I did. Just when I thought that it wasn't going to happen, I looked away to watch someone else, and it totally happens - like the freaken' Flash zipped past me. My AP-ETL says that it's okay because I am still learning then asked me what I would have done differently, but... I don't know. Maybe I should be worried about my job?

Okay, I'm done now...

I'm new to Target. I've been with TPS for about a month and a half. I have a couple PMRs this month. I don't consider myself awful at my job, but maybe still inexperienced.

Today I learned a harsh lesson about a shoplifting technique while I was on my own. I don't think I ever felt so stupid in my life. I don't fear for my job, but I am utterly embarrassed about what happened. When I look back on it, I realized that everything might have been totally preventable. I couldn't even look my AP in the face when I clocked out. I just left quietly, then got home and sat in utter shame about what I could have done to prevent the theft. It wasn't a petty one, either!

I have to work tomorrow, and I just want to not go in... I can't imagine what my team thinks of me now. The thing is that is also happened so fast, and I let my guard drop for one second. One second...

I just needed a place to kind of 'vent' it out or something. I'm not discouraged, but I do feel pretty darn stupid because I was actively looking for PMRs. I suppose I also learned that I need to pay closer attention to merchandise placement on the sales floor so that I don't make this mistake again. It wasn't a lot of merchandise, but it was pretty pricey.

I've dealt with suspicious people before. I had a law enforcement job. I know what they look like, or I thought I did. Just when I thought that it wasn't going to happen, I looked away to watch someone else, and it totally happens - like the freaken' Flash zipped past me. My AP-ETL says that it's okay because I am still learning then asked me what I would have done differently, but... I don't know. Maybe I should be worried about my job?

Okay, I'm done now...
Everyone makes mistakes in AP and in life in general. A KTR is better than a NPI.

At least your store has ap and tps. My store we have no one in ap at all. So no one cares what theft goes down at my store. I've seen so much. Crime in the last 2 weeks

KTR (Known Theft Report): A documented shoplifting incident (the subject gets away with the goods).
PMR (Preventive or Protective Merchandise Recovery): The shoplifter is detoured from stealing after selection is made via guest service or TPS presence.
NPI (Non-Productive Incident): Something went WAY wrong during an AP incident. Usually, its when a subject is apprehended and no merchandise is found on them.

I used to be a TPS.

Thanks for the reassurances, folks. I guess it was just one of those things I beat myself up for.

My AP barely talks to me anyway since we don't have much to talk about (and I am not really social unless it is work related), so I'm trying to really not take their silence to me as complete disappointment.

I did spend last night brushing up on the latest shoplifting techniques so that I wouldn't be caught unawares again. I'm still on my 90 days, so I am a little bit concerned. I'm attempting to not let this incident not worry me too much!

Thanks for the reassurances, folks. I guess it was just one of those things I beat myself up for.

My AP barely talks to me anyway since we don't have much to talk about (and I am not really social unless it is work related), so I'm trying to really not take their silence to me as complete disappointment.

I did spend last night brushing up on the latest shoplifting techniques so that I wouldn't be caught unawares again. I'm still on my 90 days, so I am a little bit concerned. I'm attempting to not let this incident not worry me too much!
Can I ask what happened? We might we able to give you advice.

is there any advice on a store with NO AP or NO TPS ????

Please I can hardly wait till corporate finds out how much stuff has just walked out the front door or mall door, freely !!

They must not care at all or think a well to do upper class area doesn't steal. lol
Those kids of rich parents the things they take all the time without paying for it.

Please I can hardly wait till corporate finds out how much stuff has just walked out the front door or mall door, freely !!

They must not care at all or think a well to do upper class area doesn't steal. lol
Those kids of rich parents the things they take all the time without paying for it.
A lot of stores have zero TPS. I never heard of no AP....

A lot of stores have zero TPS. I never heard of no AP....

This. Every store should at least have an APL. When the IS position was still a thing, stores with no TPS TMs would get additional support from the Investigations Center.

Okay, I'm done now...

Mistakes are good. Why? Because they're a great opportunity to learn. I, too, have made bonehead decisions as a TPS. You live and you learn.

If you follow your AP directive, you do not have to worry for your job! Plus, nobody accept for you to catch every person who steals.

As someone who did AP for 7 years, here's the best piece of advice I can give to a rookie:

Theft happens, just don't take it personally. Those who do, don't last with the company.

Use it as a learning opportunity. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. As with ALL new TPS', you need to be able to disconnect from thefts that happened (and will happen in the future). Identify it, communicate it, and be ready for it to happen again in the future. Those who vent too much (especially on the SF to TM's, ETL's, ect) don't last with the company.

It is 100% essential that you DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING that happens on the job personally. The reason you HAVE a job is because Target understands theft HAPPENS. Remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back