Votes: 13 15.7%
  • no

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • I never worked Backroom

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are few legitimate reasons to actually burn. If you're just burning as you're going and playing expert on whether or not all of this product goes to the floor, you are ultimately a detriment to the backroom. Anyone can STO and PULL, your impact comes with how you own your workcenter.

The stuff I backstock right after pulling are items that I know don't go out because I've gone out myself and checked capacities after multiple days of pulling the same item and having it all come back. I've had to take time out of doing my BR tasks to check these things because I can't count of the Flow and SF teams to do it. Other things I backstock right away are things I've been told to do so with (larger tvs, certain assortments)

3. Put on a flat with a pull clip and leave in the backroom. No room for them on the floor? Have someone update capacity on the floor.
The capacity is zero. But if a guest has one pulled from the backroom and purchases it, it will still come out in the next batch. This occurs on all items that only have displays on the floor (such as large TVs and furniture). It's a massive pain in the ass.

I had a 65 inch TV come out in the autofills yesterday.

I've been burning since I started and that's over a decade and a half now. Years ago I'd burn the entire set of pulls (under orders of course) but now I'm only doing it with assortments. Flow will not even look at them let alone push it right.

The stuff I backstock right after pulling are items that I know don't go out because I've gone out myself and checked capacities after multiple days of pulling the same item and having it all come back. I've had to take time out of doing my BR tasks to check these things because I can't count of the Flow and SF teams to do it. Other things I backstock right away are things I've been told to do so with (larger tvs, certain assortments)
Then you have to partner with an Instocks TM to adjust the capacity at the time you find it is incorrect. If the Instocks TM is not there, or your store no longer has an Instocks TM, any TL or ETL can also fix it. At the very least, have a TL or ETL show you how to adjust capacity so you can radio a TM to meet you at the location and you can use their myDevice to fix it yourself. Continually leaving the back room to check capacities during or after pulls is a waste of time, and thinking you know how much has sold since you last checked it could lead to lost sales. Stop treating the symptom and treat the disease.

The capacity is zero. But if a guest has one pulled from the backroom and purchases it, it will still come out in the next batch. This occurs on all items that only have displays on the floor (such as large TVs and furniture). It's a massive pain in the ass.

I had a 65 inch TV come out in the autofills yesterday.

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe something to take up with management and district

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe something to take up with management and district
TL response: Hmm. Well that's not good.

DTL response: So what did you do to overcome that?

MySupport response: You must please be partner with your instocks team leader to research the on-hand count to zero for the affected items.

TL response: Hmm. Well that's not good.

DTL response: So what did you do to overcome that?

MySupport response: You must please be partner with your instocks team leader to research the on-hand count to zero for the affected items.

Your DTL talks to you, so that's already better than I ever had it. lol

I think my store has discovered a potential problem with this and my TL said he won't be judging people on high numbers just yet.

From what my TL and ETL can figure out, the numbers take into account every item that the system thinks should go out onto the floor and then comes back at any point during the day. Its just not showing items that get pulled and backstocked immediately. So if for example someone from the SF team is pushing pulls and is too lazy to push everything and just brings back a ton of stuff the person who pulled it will get dinged.

This is just how we are thinking the system works, but we could be wrong. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

We've always had an issue with assortments. They often get burnt unless its for POG but sometimes people won't relocate the shipper. So the HLTL will right the set date on the box. If the assortment is requested in a pull after the date written its pulled and worked out to the floor and any left over items get backstocked.
The problem with burning is floor counts go up. (3 oh floor is not the same as 3 OH)

We've always had an issue with assortments. They often get burnt unless its for POG but sometimes people won't relocate the shipper. So the HLTL will right the set date on the box. If the assortment is requested in a pull after the date written its pulled and worked out to the floor and any left over items get backstocked.
The problem with burning is floor counts go up. (3 oh floor is not the same as 3 OH)
Our POG team likes to burn shippers "because they're too heavy." So I'm looking forward to mentioning this report the next time the ETL-LOG complains about all the shippers we have in the steel.

POG team had their talk today about burning batches. We also complained more about pog fills pulling product for all store capacities. Yeah, I've burned batches when I'm setting paper and I know for a fact 20 eaches of Bounty SAS will not go out. Happens even if the capacities are set correctly. It's driving everyone insane. And now we're expected to pull all of it, even if it'll be a waste of time to pull it to the floor and backstock it 30 min later.

Doesn't it pull it all because of where it's located? (O) will pull qty needed and lower and upper pull full case stock or whatever is there. We have people stowing loose items in upper or lower areas and pull will ask for all of them but had then been stowed in open stock area it would have pulled what was needed.

I had 40 suspect on like 600 pulls this last week.

Echoing what has already been said it's mostly shippers, stuff I know definitely won't go out and maybe big stuff like basketball hoops I want to make sure will go out before wasting my time. So I backstock them so they don't end up unlocated if I happen to get side tracked.

I understand the idea behind it but doesn't seem like the best way to go about it.

I've been there trust me all responses are warranted as to why I posted this thread.. I just personally don't enjoy the thought of this ^^^ in particular as these Pipo pallets only to retrieve 1 Fucking Item and Leadership now saying we are going to be coached on if we are "caught" burning batches. So this concerns me and I'm sure others as well :(

When you backstock the pallet, use the upc on the item, not the pick. Then go into brlm and change your paper pallet locations to open stock and not remote.

Then it will ask you for the correct amount, not the entire pallet.

When you backstock the pallet, use the upc on the item, not the pick. Then go into brlm and change your paper pallet locations to open stock and not remote.

Then it will ask you for the correct amount, not the entire pallet.
It shouldn't matter if you scan the pick label or product UPC to backstock it. They're both connected to the same DPCI.

It shouldn't matter if you scan the pick label or product UPC to backstock it. They're both connected to the same DPCI.

On (some, not all) pipo items, the pick label has a different dpci that is similar to an assortment. If you go into upc mait and look at that upc, you can see multiple dpcis tied to it.

This is dumb. Our TL coming down hard on us for having such a high number from burning challenge or seasonal batches right after flow blizt out and backstocked all when it would just come back lmao

It's not backrooms job to make sure capacity is correct. We get tons of bs from the cafs we cant realistically check it all and update counts with our workload. It's faster to backstock it
Then you have to partner with an Instocks TM to adjust the capacity at the time you find it is incorrect. If the Instocks TM is not there, or your store no longer has an Instocks TM, any TL or ETL can also fix it. At the very least, have a TL or ETL show you how to adjust capacity so you can radio a TM to meet you at the location and you can use their myDevice to fix it yourself. Continually leaving the back room to check capacities during or after pulls is a waste of time, and thinking you know how much has sold since you last checked it could lead to lost sales. Stop treating the symptom and treat the disease.

Last edited:
It's been detailed a few times in this thread alone how burning batches impacts the process negatively (you even quoted one post) and yet your deflection is "not my job."

It is your job. That's why you got coached.

It's been detailed a few times in this thread alone how burning batches impacts the process negatively (you even quoted one post) and yet your deflection is "not my job."

It is your job. That's why you got coached.
Sorry, no where in my core roles does it say to challenge backstock

Challenging backstock keeps stuff out of the backroom. On truck days I'd challenge things I knew were on end caps that flow missed. More often than not it goes out. Get it out of the backroom before it goes in there to sit for weeks before being pulled. Everyone wants raises but half the people want to work like they should earn it.

The new Suspect Item report ( I believe is what it is labeled ) is on the same report as the tms individual pulls, errors etc. ( tm location accuracy report is what we call it ). It will give you the number of items you restored while pulling etc. You can then pull up a separate report that breaks it down into detail .ie, dept. For example you can pull up dept o2 plastics and it will tell you any and all suspected burned batches for that fill group. It also give the tm, date and time as well. If spot was going to do this they should had been a little smarter about it . They should had fixed all the issues with the pull system first then there would be no reason to burn the batches ( unless you are just being lazy)

Sometimes you have to do things that maybe isn't in your core roles...but makes sense. By challenging bs you are helping yourself out ( as a brtm). I am not saying take every piece of bs back to the floor and check it . However, if I am backstocking and I see something that I am pretty sure will go out . I put it back on the line.

I see you're confused about your core roles. Being global is in the handbook, as is following instruction from your Team Leader. If your Team Leader makes a reasonable request, such as DON'T BURN BATCHES, you are expected to do that. If they request you or another TM partners with a TL or instocks to ensure OHs are corrected from challenge, you are expected to do that.

Here's an excerpt from the handbook:

"Work volume can change from day to day, so it's important to be flexible -- to be willing to perform any job your leader asks you to do. Sometimes you might be temporarily moved to another department to help with extra work. That's all part of being a team member and pitching in when and where you're needed."

"That's not my job" doesn't exist at Target. Your job is what your TL says you job is. Even if that means getting carts or backup cashiering. Your TL is absolutely right to coach you for failing to perform at your job.

Burning batches is largely unnecessary and prevents instocks and your TL from accurately assessing WHY people are feeling the need to burn and WHY these things aren't fitting on the floor. You are a detriment to your backroom culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back