Archived Newbie and Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a brand new "team member" at a PFresh Target store. I'm currently in training working the 6:00 AM Flow -Soft Lines or whatever it's called. :huh: I'm a college student trying to fit my work schedule around the 2 classes I am taking. So far I've only been sorting SL and restocking SL.

I must admit I, I have know idea how everything works and am clueless who to talk to and how to talk to the right people to add hours/shifts etc. I'm hoping to be trained in other areas as well, but don't know how long I must work in SL before I am trained elsewhere, if I have to apply separately for other positions etc. My store seems to be short-staffed, but I don't know if my contribution is worth while at this point, or if my presence would be unnecessary.

Any advice?

Get good at working your job now, then ask to train in other areas to "be more global." Your Flow TL and ETL-Logistics, then your ETL-HR, would be the people to talk to about cross training. Cross training is based on store needs. If they see potential in you (ie. you're a hard worker with a good attitude and stellar attendance) then the ETLs usually end up fighting over you. Everyone wants the rock stars on their teams. Just beware that at Target, the better you do, the more that is expected of you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast, fun, and friendly response, sigma7. :thank_you2:

I DO have a reputation for being a hard worker, having a good attitude, and being reliable -if I must say so myself :D .And I secretly enjoy the early SL shift. I find it exciting to have to perform the operation (unloading the trucks) in a certain time-frame and use my mad logistics/efficiency skills to get the job done.

I am not much of a sales person, though, which may be my Achilles heel. See, I have this ability to read body language and assess whether a customer may be in need of assistance. But no, I have to assume each individual views my guidance and salutation as imperative to their Target Experience.

My experience so far has been positive. With the exception of one individual, the rest of "the team" has been great about everything and Target has exceeded my expectations. The mantras and huddles may be a bit cheesy, but it does keep the moral up and allows opportunities to regroup and assess the store's progress/goals.

What has your overall experience been like working for Target?

Steadily going downhill for the past 5 years lol. But when I look at it objectively...no wait, still not great.

The biggest part of my problem is that I was with the company before the way things are now became the norm. I know how things should look and operate and that's just not the standard anymore...or is it? Target preaches the same standards as five years ago all the while slashing hours and positions to make us the "Best Company Ever." I'm really not bitter because in the end I go to work, work hard, and get a paycheck. Target works around my class schedule and most of my managers know that I know what I'm doing and leave me alone to get it done. I don't need much direction. Give me a task and I'll get it done. Give me an area and I will establish routines and partner with the appropriate teams to make sure my workload is getting done (the essential stuff anyway). If only my current ETL understood this lol. Very self driven. My goal right now is to get done with school, use my time at Target to my advantage to land a better job, and then I'm out. I just really have no loyalty to a company that has no loyalty to its employees, whom, while they may not be shareholders, are stakeholders in the company. I just wish corporate would get their heads out of their arses and realize that their frontline tms are the ones that interact with and communicate the Target brand to guests on a daily basis. Tms deserve way better than this company has been giving them for the past 4-5 years.

Greetings and salutations.

There are some great threads about how to pick up hours.
If you are in Softlines checkout the the softlines thread that is a stickie at the top of the page.

Thanks for the links, Hardlinesmaster! I am trying to be proactive in learning all this Target jargon -acronyms, terminology, you know everything I DIDN'T have to know for the SAT and ACT. :wacko: It's like being immersed into a foreign country and everyone expects you to speak the language.

I'm trying to assimilate as quickly as possible, but unfortunately my work schedule currently allows me to work only at very specific times, so I don't get the variety that I would like to in order to feel comfortable working my shifts. I guess it's only my second week, and I'm still "training" so I don't know what their expectations are of me...

Sigma7, your experience is similar to what I've heard from other people. I'm just glad I was able to get a job. I have one semester left of college and am thankful that I will have *some* sort of employment upon graduation to pay back college loans. Best of luck in your future career endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back