Archived Newbie with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been answered. But the questions I have are on scheduling.

Target HR will tell you all day long that the amount of hours that you get is purely based on your availability and NOTHING else.

Is this actually true or do other things effect how many hours and which shifts they give you ?

Obviously they give some people more hours than others and some people get the "better" shifts.

Talking with my HR leader I have learned he has had to sign multiple confidentiality agreements which I find interesting.

Things that IMO effect how many hours you get etc. are: the percent or amount of times you call out, availability, how efficient you are when you work and how hard you work, the number of red cards you get on average (cashier), how good looking you are (specifically cashier) because better looks get more red cards obviously, how likeable you are with guests and management, possibly how long you have been with target, amount of areas you are trained in, etc.

Just as an example you would want to have someone who is good at getting people to sign up for redcards to work more and at certain points in the day vs. a cashier that gets little to none. Target is about making money so why in the hell would they make it just based on availability with some computer doing the scheduling...

They tell me that the ONLY thing that effects hours is your availability and that a computer does it automatically with management making adjustments as necessary. So does the computer factor all of this in, do they edit it based on this info, or is it really true, that it is purely based on when you are available to work ?

I honestly do not believe that it is totally randomized by a computer based solely on team members availability.

P.S. I have heard many interesting secrets and rumors about target. Just as an example of one thing that I have heard. Targets has a tendency to hire good looking people for management but the rumor is that being good looking is actually a secret/hidden requirement that they look for when hiring.

Last edited:
the amount of red cards you get have no bearing on your looks - I don't even know where that idea came from?

You don't think generally a good looking cashier would get more red cards vs. an ugly cashier ? I personally have never seen an ugly cashier get a good amount of redcards but thats just me.

But do you have the answer to any of my questions I know you probably can't say due to confidentiality agreements but would like to know.

BTW another question I had is that do cashiers get let go after awhile if their redcards are low ? do they get coachings for dropping below certain percents or numbers? I know at the stores I have been to they care about redcards more than anything else.

Last edited:
actually it's my experience that the number of red cards is based on how many guests you ask if they would like to save 5% today and everyday.

Scheduling depends on so many factors, and as you didn't mention your hiring status or position, it's kind of hard to be specific.

You seen concerned about confidentiality.

There are no secrets regarding who gets more hours - just be energetic, friendly, work hard each day, come to work on time, be willing to learn and you'll do fine.

actually it's my experience that the number of red cards is based on how many guests you ask if they would like to save 5% today and everyday.

Scheduling depends on so many factors, and as you didn't mention your hiring status or position, it's kind of hard to be specific.

You seen concerned about confidentiality.

There are no secrets regarding who gets more hours - just be energetic, friendly, work hard each day, come to work on time, be willing to learn and you'll do fine.

Yeah I agree, the amount of people asked also increases chances of of getting more redcards.

So it is multiple factors, interesting. Can you give me an example of some factors that go into scheduling besides availability ? You can use a basic TM position as an example if needed (cashier, sales floor, etc.).

so I'm curious about the secrets and rumors you have heard - would those have been at work?

Or things you have read on the internet or this board?

so I'm curious about the secrets and rumors you have heard - would those have been at work?

Or things you have read on the internet or this board?

probably the same ones everybody else has heard or read. working in HR you have probably heard them all as well.

heres another one that is probably well known

but what goes into scheduling besides availability ?

Last edited:
Whatever the ETLs at that particular store feel will make the store run in the green.

so lets say they think team members with better attitudes would make the store run in the green..

or that team members that have certain specific qualities or that are hard workers etc. would make them run in the green...

they would give them more hours over other TM ?

I'm curious how a new hire who is probably a seasonal team member wants to know these things.

why so many questions?

I just kind of have an obsession of knowing how things work on the inside lol just kind of a hobby of mine

for example some people might like to know a lot about cooking or computers I just like to know about stuff like this

Last edited:
Annnd something doesn't feel quite....... "right" about this thread, other than this post, I'm steering clear of it.

-Zen

feels like an interview -

haha sorry for all the questions just curious am I not the only one who wonders about scheduling ?? especially when comparing say a couple team members with equal availability that get very different hours and shifts ?

haha sorry for all the questions just curious am I not the only one who wonders about scheduling ?? especially when comparing say a couple team members with equal availability that get very different hours and shifts ?

In the end, they give more hours to some people and less hours to other people. It boils down to "none of our damned business." I have been getting more hours with limited availability than a GSA with open availability. Why? Don't know, don't care. Doesn't affect me or my paycheck at all. Want more hours? Check the swap board and be open to staying later as needed.

In the end, they give more hours to some people and less hours to other people. It boils down to "none of our damned business." I have been getting more hours with limited availability than a GSA with open availability. Why? Don't know, don't care. Doesn't affect me or my paycheck at all. Want more hours? Check the swap board and be open to staying later as needed.

you don't care at all ? not even a bit curious ? :p

I am sure there is a reason for this and other situations like yours

but the thing is that not a whole lot of people will openly talk about it.

HR seems to be really secretive about scheduling and gives really general answers when asked questions for some reason.

Last edited:
You don't think generally a good looking cashier would get more red cards vs. an ugly cashier ? I personally have never seen an ugly cashier get a good amount of redcards but thats just me.

But do you have the answer to any of my questions I know you probably can't say due to confidentiality agreements but would like to know.

BTW another question I had is that do cashiers get let go after awhile if their redcards are low ? do they get coachings for dropping below certain percents or numbers? I know at the stores I have been to they care about redcards more than anything else.

I'm not being vain or conceited, and I'm just quoting others by saying this, but I'm "gorgeous" and I barely get Red Cards, in the front end or in Electronics. It is basically luck mixed with the power of persuasion--not the attractiveness of the person--that gets people Red Cards.
Plus, the 3 main people who sell red cards are the older men at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back