Archived No more Amazon Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at work today and received an e-mail saying something along the lines that basically we are no longer carrying the Amazon Kindle. I was very busy so only glanced at it. Anyone receive something like this?! I could have miss-read it though!

I received this too. And yes, you did read it correctly. No more Kindles.

Could Target have made a stupider decision? I sell as many Kindles per day as I do iPods.

I received this too. And yes, you did read it correctly. No more Kindles.

Could Target have made a stupider decision? I sell as many Kindles per day as I do iPods.

Well, selling it is empowering Amazon and Amazon is now a gigantic competitor. I would do a deal with Sony now, they are desperate for cash, and try to in on their action.

As long as we keep the gift cards, I'm fine with it.

You still have the gift cards?! They were taken off our POG a while ago! I believe around October/November ish of last year. I really do want to know what caused us not to carry them anymore. Like a user said above we sell those things like hot cakes! I rarely sell a Nook! I never have sold any of the other e-readers like the google one or any of the others. Poor decision not going to lie.

Well, selling it is empowering Amazon and Amazon is now a gigantic competitor. I would do a deal with Sony now, they are desperate for cash, and try to in on their action.

Amazon is not that big of a competitor to Target. The only areas that Amazon really beats Target would be electronics and entertainment. You don't buy clothes from Amazon. You don't buy household supplies from Amazon. And you certainly don't buy food.

If this is a gut-check reaction to Amazon hurting our electronics and entertainment sales, it's several years late. Target has no presence in the digital market except for the fact that they sell the devices necessary to access such a marketplace. This is where the niche should be, because the one thing that Target and other physical retailers have over Amazon is the ability to give consumers convenient access to try before they buy.

That's kind of silly for Target to stop carrying Kindles. While they aren't as big/direct of a competitor as Amazon, what about Apple? Why do you think the CD department has shrunk so much?

Amazon is not that big of a competitor to Target. The only areas that Amazon really beats Target would be electronics and entertainment. You don't buy clothes from Amazon. You don't buy household supplies from Amazon. And you certainly don't buy food.

If this is a gut-check reaction to Amazon hurting our electronics and entertainment sales, it's several years late. Target has no presence in the digital market except for the fact that they sell the devices necessary to access such a marketplace. This is where the niche should be, because the one thing that Target and other physical retailers have over Amazon is the ability to give consumers convenient access to try before they buy.

They actually are a pretty big competitor in the sense of ease it is to shop online. The try before you buy logic can actually HURT Target and Best Buy down the road. Sure, I'll head over to Best Buy where they have tons of TV's on display, find out which one I like the best, and head online to purchase something that will be free of sales tax, and ship to my door for free in 3-5 days.

According to my DTL, Amazon is moving up the ranks and will overtake Wal-Mart shortly with being Target's #1 competitor. MobileShop (I think is what it's going to be called...) is going to be Target's way of trying to compete with online shopping, but we still are losing tons of money simply from the fact that buying online is often times cheaper.

Just my two cents! Cheers!

I just bought a Kindle Fire last week. I bought it at Target because I save 5% with my credit card. Was everything pulled or will their be accessories marked down? I love me some good clearance.

CD's didn't require a $500 item with accessories that have 70% margin. Apple also does not get involved in the retail world much beyond their stores.

They actually are a pretty big competitor in the sense of ease it is to shop online. The try before you buy logic can actually HURT Target and Best Buy down the road. Sure, I'll head over to Best Buy where they have tons of TV's on display, find out which one I like the best, and head online to purchase something that will be free of sales tax, and ship to my door for free in 3-5 days.

I don't disagree with that, but it still makes no sense. Target thrives on everyday purchases, things that you don't want to wait on a shipment for. Amazon has nothing on that.

I don't disagree with that, but it still makes no sense. Target thrives on everyday purchases, things that you don't want to wait on a shipment for. Amazon has nothing on that.

Yes. This is true, but have you seen how much Target has put into target.com recently? They (unsuccessfully) revamped their whole website and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of those changes. Target wants to be strong in the online industry and why should they support their biggest online competitor? I hate that we aren't carrying Kindles anymore, but I totally get the reasoning.

I buy clothes, household supplies, and food from Amazon. I also used the Amazon app to scan items at Target at which point I compare prices and place the order from my Android phone. I also bought Amazon gift cards (removed from my store a couple months ago) at Target and got my team member discount and Red Card discount on them. So yeah, I get why Target is a bit peeved at Amazon.

I love how there is the conspiracy theory that Apple is somehow behind this because of the new mini-stores. If that were the case, Walmart would be kicking Kindle to the curb as well. PLUS the fact that there are only a SMALL number of Targets getting those anyways! Something else is going on here, and I wish I knew what it is. In the meantime, I am buying a Kindle while I can still get one with my discount! lol

Got the new planogram for portable devices today. Looks like it will only be the Nooks that we will be carrying.

Got the new planogram for portable devices today. Looks like it will only be the Nooks that we will be carrying.

PLEASE tell me that the GPS' are going to be re-expanded? I thought it was assanine what they did to them, barely any displays, no more third party cases, what an AAR killer!

PLEASE tell me that the GPS' are going to be re-expanded? I thought it was assanine what they did to them, barely any displays, no more third party cases, what an AAR killer!

From what I saw it looks like the first section are the e-readers. The next two sections are accessories. The last section in GPS (no expansion). Looks like the only big change is removing the Kindle lockup and expanding the accessories by one section.

The kindle lockup is moving to laptops and we're expanding that selection. At least that's what it looks like from the strips I've gotten.

I like how on the message board it says we can continue to sell folks our protection for the kindle and that we will give them a target gift card for total amount if its damaged.
Of course they won't be able to buy another one by then but oh well.

I buy clothes, household supplies, and food from Amazon. I also used the Amazon app to scan items at Target at which point I compare prices and place the order from my Android phone. I also bought Amazon gift cards (removed from my store a couple months ago) at Target and got my team member discount and Red Card discount on them. So yeah, I get why Target is a bit peeved at Amazon.

You got your discount on gift cards? Huh. I always thought they were excluded.

This week's Target insert had two versions of the Kindle on sale with gift card promotions. The two stores near me still have a full display.

Only Target GiftCards and prepaid/reloadable VISA/AMEX are excluded. Anything else, you get your discount.

Well, dang. If I had know that, I would have bought some of the Amazon ones when we had them. I shop on Amazon all the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back