Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf4531

Fulfillment Expert
Don't know who all saw this on the latest "News to Use" or whatever they're calling it nowadays on Workbench.

Starting Oct. 1, Target will no longer be requiring new hires to pass a drug screen as part of their conditional employment offer. This applies to seasonal hires only, although they still won't be required to get tested should they be offered a regular position past their 90 days. This is apparently supposed to streamline the hiring process (although we all know they're doing it to save on the $$ they fork out for the testing).

Thoughts?

Saving money during 4th quarter is probably part of it but I also think it's because they're desperate to get people to fill roles now that the job market is turning around so they'll look the other way about drug use for seasonal hires.

Doesn't matter to me. If they do well in an interview, I don't see how a test changes anything (and I'm anti drug btw)

Doesn't matter to me. If they do well in an interview, I don't see how a test changes anything (and I'm anti drug btw)

My guess is that at the time that they started doing the drug tests, they felt it might be a liability issue.

They should still test for anyone using heavy equipment, IMO. But for front end/sales floor? Never should have tested in the first place.

I wonder how much this has to do with the the changes in the laws in some of the states concerning legalization.

Honestly it makes sense since 95% of the seasonals never even make it to Christmas. The only thing I can think of though is how this is going to effect their insurance rates.

That and at least here in the northwest it's almost rare to find people under 30 who haven't done pot semi-consistently.

I had a nurse friend who would smoke weed on her breaks. She said they were NEVER drug tested.
Weird that Target would for a minimum wage job pushing stuff over a scanner.

I had a nurse friend who would smoke weed on her breaks. She said they were NEVER drug tested.
Weird that Target would for a minimum wage job pushing stuff over a scanner.
It depends on how desperate they are for positions to be filled. My old store was so chronically understaffed that they hired you on the spot and didn't do drug tests.

Maybe it's because the past 15 people they tried to hire at our store failed the drug test.. It's kind of sad...
Most other places I have worked require drug testing, and random testing throughout your stay with them is mandatory. A friend of mine works hr for a construction firm. Their random tests are wild. Not just a pee test but random hair follicle testing. If you as much have a mood swing with them, you can get tested..

I can't see the fast, fun, and friendly policy working very well if people are getting high while at work (during breaks).. Maybe change it to something like slower, forgetful and sluggish.. Though it would depend on the drugs they are using.

I do feel that drug testing should be a requirement for any hire.. It's one more downward step for target. Granted as state laws change and more and more people get their bogus medicinal pot cards, they would just need to show them at the drug testing center.

Honestly it makes sense since 95% of the seasonals never even make it to Christmas. The only thing I can think of though is how this is going to effect their insurance rates.

I bet the amount saved on no longer drug testing every new hire will easily offset that.

Just to throw in an opposite story- there are employers in my town (mostly healthcare) that will fire you if you use tobacco products. They also test new hires before employment - if you have nicotine in your system you can't re-apply for 90 days. CRAZY!

Had to do a drug test for both banks I worked at. But not for Kohls or Hobby Lobby. Did have one for Target.

Yeah, I didn't have to do one for working with kids or for the defense department. Of course both those jobs came with their own special clearances.

This is why we haven't been able to fill our open positions. Some of our recent hires were sketchy at best. I can't wait to see who we'll end up with now.

Last edited:
I want to be happy they're not discriminating against what people do in their free time (especially when part of what they're looking for is legal in some places) but I know it's just cause Spot's too cheap. Blag.

My thoughts are that, for a minimum wage retail job, it's a waste of time to test dozens of new hires who probably won't last more than a month or two (regardless of whether they're seasonal or not.)

Plus, urine tests aren't even an effective screening process anymore because they're so easy to fake. Pretty big waste of money to spend $100 on 35 new team members only to see half of them failed the drug test, and the other half passed but probably shouldn't have. Only to see them all leave within 3 months anyways.

Besides, there's a huge difference between using substances on your nights/days off work, and pulling joints out of your pocket during your rest breaks. Drug tests can't differentiate.

Last edited:
My thoughts are that, for a minimum wage retail job, it's a waste of time to test dozens of new hires who probably won't last more than a month or two (regardless of whether they're seasonal or not.)

Plus, urine tests aren't even an effective screening process anymore because they're so easy to fake. Pretty big waste of money to spend $100 on 35 new team members only to see half of them failed the drug test, and the other half passed but probably shouldn't have. Only to see them all leave within 3 months anyways.

Besides, there's a huge difference between using substances on your nights/days off work, and pulling joints out of your pocket during your rest breaks. Drug tests can't differentiate.
besides you can show up drunk/high once with no repercussions (outside a coaching, but meh)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back