Archived No more Guest Services at some stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys heard about the new Guest Services area that some remodeled stores are getting? From what I read it sounds like they're converting the area where Express Lanes normally are into a smaller version of Guest Services. The area where Guest Service used to be will be turned into some sort of room for Fan Central stuff or Seasonal merch.

We have a few stores in our area that will be getting this by the end of the year so I'll post more details when it happens.

If you look inside workbench for the store specific rollout schedule, it will show a graph with your districts stores and different rollouts. The stores who are getting said remodel will have a date next to "Integrated Guest Service". The description is something along the lines of "combining multiple work centers to drive a great guest service". Havent seen it done myself, but the one store in my district that was supposed to get it during their PFresh remodel already had their entire remodel cancelled. Apparently a lot of remodel cancels have been going around.

Have you guys heard about the new Guest Services area that some remodeled stores are getting? From what I read it sounds like they're converting the area where Express Lanes normally are into a smaller version of Guest Services. The area where Guest Service used to be will be turned into some sort of room for Fan Central stuff or Seasonal merch.

We have a few stores in our area that will be getting this by the end of the year so I'll post more details when it happens.

You better believe we've heard about it. Check out this thread:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/819-Speculation-Something-s-changing-at-the-Service-Desk

Guest Service? What's guest service? I'll torch my old store if that happens (lol jk) I love all the GSTM's that work there. Don't take that away from me! Half the reason I still go there is because of them lol.

I can probably see it for my old store. Guest service is usually maintained by 1 TM from 10-4, and another from 4-close. GSA/GSTL maintains it for the first 2 hours. Its never really busy with guest returns. But it does get swamped with defects and reshop. And half the time they are used, they are used for 10 or less transactions.

We have it, and it's AWFUL. It's called iGS or Integrated Guest Services. Everything is sorted into three tiered carts (like the bins used to be) for different areas of the store. At first we were told we were a test run for ULV stores and/or Canada. Last week, my STL told me it's a permanent thing and all stores will have it.

It's horrible, because people end up having to wait to do their returns while others are unloading their huge carts of merchandise. During the day, we only have one actual GSTM, and they get backed up pretty quickly. I try to help from photo when I can, but a lot of times it's difficult. We also get LOADS and LOADS of people who either try to return stuff at the photo lab (to which we politely point them to the lanes) or they stand at the old service desk and ask if we're doing returns today. (They often go past the giant signs that tell them that guest services has moved to lanes 1, 2, and 3.) The old service desk is mostly a place for equipment and never has the lights on. I don't know what annoys me more. We're definitely not an ULV store, so it's been hell for us.

What also irritates most of us is our ETL-GE has a cow whenever we have anything on the counter behind the first lane. Sometimes we're in the middle of rewrap or defecting things, and we have to ring someone up. We have to leave it there. What else are we supposed to do? Also, it's very difficult to answer guest questions on the phone because there's no direct phone line to the new GS. Often the GSTL gets stuck answering those questions. One time we got talked to about even having a cordless up there.

My store is also remodeling, so three tiered carts get to be a precious commodity. Last Wednesday I closed and we ran out of them...I didn't want to use regular carts, but our GSTL said it was okay. Oy, what a mess. Luckily (kind of), our system went down all day Thursday, so instocks and price change worked out all the reshop and got some carts back.

The "good" thing is (if you call this good) is the majority of guests hate it too. I've heard many complaints from people who just want to make a payment on their redcard. Our surveys have lots of comments about how horrible it is. Sorry, guests, it's permanent now...get used to it. :(

We have it, and it's AWFUL. It's called iGS or Integrated Guest Services. Everything is sorted into three tiered carts (like the bins used to be) for different areas of the store. At first we were told we were a test run for ULV stores and/or Canada. Last week, my STL told me it's a permanent thing and all stores will have it.

It's horrible, because people end up having to wait to do their returns while others are unloading their huge carts of merchandise. During the day, we only have one actual GSTM, and they get backed up pretty quickly. I try to help from photo when I can, but a lot of times it's difficult. We also get LOADS and LOADS of people who either try to return stuff at the photo lab (to which we politely point them to the lanes) or they stand at the old service desk and ask if we're doing returns today. (They often go past the giant signs that tell them that guest services has moved to lanes 1, 2, and 3.) The old service desk is mostly a place for equipment and never has the lights on. I don't know what annoys me more. We're definitely not an ULV store, so it's been hell for us.

What also irritates most of us is our ETL-GE has a cow whenever we have anything on the counter behind the first lane. Sometimes we're in the middle of rewrap or defecting things, and we have to ring someone up. We have to leave it there. What else are we supposed to do? Also, it's very difficult to answer guest questions on the phone because there's no direct phone line to the new GS. Often the GSTL gets stuck answering those questions. One time we got talked to about even having a cordless up there.

My store is also remodeling, so three tiered carts get to be a precious commodity. Last Wednesday I closed and we ran out of them...I didn't want to use regular carts, but our GSTL said it was okay. Oy, what a mess. Luckily (kind of), our system went down all day Thursday, so instocks and price change worked out all the reshop and got some carts back.

The "good" thing is (if you call this good) is the majority of guests hate it too. I've heard many complaints from people who just want to make a payment on their redcard. Our surveys have lots of comments about how horrible it is. Sorry, guests, it's permanent now...get used to it. :(

That sounds pretty darn accurate from the experience at my store too. We're a high volume store so it's not like guest service was slow as it was, and now with guests checking out AND trying to do returns it has really turned into hell. My ETL-GE is also a stickler about having everything BRAND so any kind of mess or lingering returns is a big no-no. Guest's hate it and have vocally complained as well as most of the guest comments are in regards to it. I don't know why Target decided this was a good idea, and it's a shame its going to stick around.

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

I know Target is fantastic at cutting positions, but I did not expect this.

We've actually been trying for a bit now. It builds ridiculous lines and confuses guest. As some have mentioned it also eliminated more than half of our former GS TM's. They have been reworked into other areas, aka Cashier working 2 days a week. That's Spot for ya!

I remember when the three tiered carts were brought into the store. One was brought to a huddle by the backroom Team Leader, and it was explained to us that the carts WERE ONLY FOR BACKROOM TEAM MEMBER USE! Under no circumstances was any other team allowed to touch them. I secretly coveted them from afar so I didn't get into trouble for touching - lol! Guess we'll need a few more for guest service if/when IGS comes to our location.

I remember when the three tiered carts were brought into the store. One was brought to a huddle by the backroom Team Leader, and it was explained to us that the carts WERE ONLY FOR BACKROOM TEAM MEMBER USE! Under no circumstances was any other team allowed to touch them. I secretly coveted them from afar so I didn't get into trouble for touching - lol! Guess we'll need a few more for guest service if/when IGS comes to our location.

That's bull! Everyone can and DOES use them. Go steal 3 and spider wrap them together. :D

I've actually seen a couple of instances where guests have been using them. This one guy said he saw it sitting somewhere and just grabbed it. Saw a woman with little kids with one one day. Can't believe she didn't notice there was nowhere for the kids to sit.:fool:

I can see this working at ULV stores but anywhere else it would be a confusing mess.

Last edited:
First of all, we all know if Target thinks this is a good idea its going to get rolled out one way or another... so if and when it hits my store I will roll it out the best I can!
Second, I don't really have a problem with the iGS concept really... It makes sense because if GS isn't busy they should be able to ring up (so in a way it helps checkout) HOWEVER they better use the old GS space wisely! That is valuable floor space within every single store that you are now freeing up! If we can find something that adds value to that old space (and not just put up weird signing over it) then I can support this!

First of all, we all know if Target thinks this is a good idea its going to get rolled out one way or another... so if and when it hits my store I will roll it out the best I can!
Second, I don't really have a problem with the iGS concept really... It makes sense because if GS isn't busy they should be able to ring up (so in a way it helps checkout) HOWEVER they better use the old GS space wisely! That is valuable floor space within every single store that you are now freeing up! If we can find something that adds value to that old space (and not just put up weird signing over it) then I can support this!

Our old GS is sitting empty with the registers covered up with store made signage letting guests know where to go for returns. Photo is right next to old GS so they are all lonely now off in the corner. I think they should use that space for Target Mobile. They need more space than 2/3 of a gondola and then it can better compete with Wal-Mart Mobile. Create a store in a store kinda thing.

Our old GS is sitting empty with the registers covered up with store made signage letting guests know where to go for returns. Photo is right next to old GS so they are all lonely now off in the corner. I think they should use that space for Target Mobile. They need more space than 2/3 of a gondola and then it can better compete with Wal-Mart Mobile. Create a store in a store kinda thing.

Funny you should say that about Tgt mobile. It's not exactly the same but a sister store of mine is one of ten stores in the company that is testing "front of store" Tgt mobile. It won't however be in the old guest service. It will be next to guest service where photo is about to be torn out.. They aren't doing the wet-2-dry conversion, it's just wet-2-....nothing and then a month later the empty space will be made into mobile.

Our lab is all by itself now too...gets kinda lonely. :hmm: I heard today that eventually all Target photo labs will be dry labs by January 2013. My guess is that they'll start scheduling less hours in there too.

Our lab is all by itself now too...gets kinda lonely. :hmm: I heard today that eventually all Target photo labs will be dry labs by January 2013. My guess is that they'll start scheduling less hours in there too.

12-6. Or, if your STL is nice, 1130-630 (prep/cleaning time).

Sorry, guests, it's permanent now...get used to it. :(

Keep a stack of comment cards on hand & give one out to every guest that complains & tell them that "only THEY can make a difference". Tell them to also follow up with a comment on target.com's "let us know" link & to call the guest relations number to complain. If everyone exorted their guests to do all these things, corp MIGHT (maybe) re-think this.

My store went from having a photo team to having absolutely no photo ever. Guest Service is just expected to handle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back