Service & Engagement No Receipt Return Price Chop... Do You Adjust?

starmaster1000

Master NCR Torture Device Operator
If y'all ain't worked Guest Service in a while, y'all may not know this, but POS' no receipt price for many items is drastically less than the tag price (I'm talking 50-85% less). This lady brought some LEGO sets and they sell for $19.99 but POS is all Rick Harrison about it and was like, "$4.98, best I can do."

The SETL was working with me as backup and pity adjusted it to $19.99 much to my chagrin (I'm a by the book TM most of the time) for all 6 or 7 of them and overrode the "you must exchange..." prompt to put close to $140 on the merch card. :mad:

But my question is... do you adjust? If not, when Karen asks for the manager, do they adjust?
If you do, do you set it to the selling price? Do you set it a few bucks short of the price?

I usually do to be nice. But not if it's that big of a price difference. Half of what the would get for multiple items is the most I do.

I didn't for one guest today because he insisted on doing a no receipt return even though he knew it was on his card and I warned him that he could get the lowest selling price in the system. He didn't want to listen do he got what he got 😂

The SETL was working with me as backup and pity adjusted it to $19.99 much to my chagrin (I'm a by the book TM most of the time) for all 6 or 7 of them and overrode the "you must exchange..." prompt to put close to $140 on the merch card. :mad:

i would've done the exact same thing your Service and Engagement TL did.

Always ask if it was on their registry and try that
Oh yeah those are probably more difficult than no Receipt Returns bc they have to have the stupid Target Registry app (why hasn't this been integrated into the Target app like Cartwheel?) and if they do have it or borrow one of our iPod touches with it, they don't know their password, that takes 789,000 minutes and 46,700 2-step verification emails and texts that they type incorrectly 46,701 times.

Oh and one guest who did have the barcode on the TR app had a baby shower in 2016!!!!!!! and was mad that the system was denying it. I'm like bruh... Serious? Three years? Gtfoh.

we make it right for the guest
Then any policy in place that is countered by the Guest is not right and should be ignored.

I've had unhappy guests with all of the policies we have, from opened air mattresses to opened video games, these two existing out of health/cleanliness and copyright law concerns.

Where is the line ever drawn?

Then any policy in place that is countered by the Guest is not right and should be ignored.

I've had unhappy guests with all of the policies we have, from opened air mattresses to opened video games, these two existing out of health/cleanliness and copyright law concerns.

Where is the line ever drawn?

we're not discussing those situations. we're discussion an issue where POS isn't correctly ringing the no-receipt return price. that's an issue within our power to fix. it doesn't actually go against any of our guest-facing policies, either. whether or not you agree with it, the job of a guest advocate is to ensure a frictionless guest experience by being empowered to make it right for the guest in the moment.

we're not discussing those situations. we're discussion an issue where POS isn't correctly ringing the no-receipt return price. that's an issue within our power to fix. it doesn't actually go against any of our guest-facing policies, either. whether or not you agree with it, the job of a guest advocate is to ensure a frictionless guest experience by being empowered to make it right for the guest in the moment.
That's part of the question here, if not implied, is... Is POS incorrect? Does Corporate really want to give less than it did before because they, too, are tired of the BS returns policy they have empowered Guests to abuse?

I only adjust it if it’s an even exchange (open air mattress or open game without a receipt) or something but otherwise that is all they are getting. If they want to complain, I offer a corporate card, tell them my name and to have a wonderful night.
Speaking of air mattresses, has anybody else noticed that those brands that would have them exchange only for another now let’s them returned it for payment? What about the people who are constantly exchanging them after a couple of months?

Having worked GS for awhile, I knew approximately what the return value of an item would be without a receipt. This new price without a receipt goes way too low. I’m doing it on a case by case basis. These prices go beyond the usual lowest sale price within the past 90 days. I’m talking about regular price items that have not be on clearance going for a couple of dollars.

Speaking of air mattresses, has anybody else noticed that those brands that would have them exchange only for another now let’s them returned it for payment? What about the people who are constantly exchanging them after a couple of months?
I don't think POS has ever stopped you from simply returning an air mattress for a refund. Unlike baby strollers or car seats where POS now asks "has the item been opened?" air mattresses just ring up and let you refund. It's up to you to enforce that policy.

Having worked GS for awhile, I knew approximately what the return value of an item would be without a receipt. This new price without a receipt goes way too low. I’m doing it on a case by case basis. These prices go beyond the usual lowest sale price within the past 90 days. I’m talking about regular price items that have not be on clearance going for a couple of dollars.
And it's not even really basing it off Clearance price. There's no way a lot of those things with ridiculously low NRR prices have ever been that low.
We used to go to the Price Change app to see what the last selling price was when POS asked how much something was and even that shows sometimes double or more what POS indicates for NRR price.

I don't think POS has ever stopped you from simply returning an air mattress for a refund. Unlike baby strollers or car seats where POS now asks "has the item been opened?" air mattresses just ring up and let you refund. It's up to you to enforce that policy.
No, before with the high end air mattresses it would only allow them to exchange it for another one if it was opened. Now it will allow them to get their money back.

And it's not even really basing it off Clearance price. There's no way a lot of those things with ridiculously low NRR prices have ever been that low.
We used to go to the Price Change app to see what the last selling price was when POS asked how much something was and even that shows sometimes double or more what POS indicates for NRR price.
I know. Usually it would be 25 to 30 percent off the original price. Now it’s even lower than a clearance price.

Back