Service & Engagement No Receipt Return Price Chop... Do You Adjust?

I recently overrode one for an unopened French Press I knew hadn't gone on sale, much less on clearance, in our store during this lifetime. I occasionally override one when someone has a newish baby in the stroller and they're trying to return something that's obviously unused, but their ID is maxed out from all the other no-receipts they've had to do since the wee one arrived. I usually watch them go straight into the store to spend far more money than I just put on that Merch credit.

But if Karen comes in with an air mattress or Chad has an Electronics item from November? I won't override for those. If they ask for my Lead(er) and they choose to, fine. I will ask what led them to do so--not to argue, but just to know what they were thinking, even if it was "get them out of here before they make a scene/call Guest Relations."

I've also wondered if Corporate was tired of guest abuse of our return policy, but if that's the case, they need to stop talking out of both sides of their mouths. "No" has to mean "no."

I occasionally override one when someone has a newish baby in the stroller and they're trying to return something that's obviously unused, but their ID is maxed out from all the other no-receipts they've had to do since the wee one arrived. I usually watch them go straight into the store to spend far more money than I just put on that Merch credit.

Yep. It's not fair to those new baby guests to be punished just bc they weren't given gift receipts. Also, not everyone buys off a registry. Therefore I'm not going to spend the time looking up their registry and barcode just to return something.

And on that subject, I'm still not clear why the registry option isn't available on the Target app. And don't tell me about the little scanners at GS. Ours don't work and haven't for a long time.

"get them out of here before they make a scene/call Guest Relations."
If they make a scene, our police department will be here in under 5 minutes, guaranteed. My Target's city is very anti-horseshit when it comes to calls from retailers and responds next to immediately.

If they call Guest Relations, only sad part is that they are useless and never back us up, but leadership (District Team Leader and down) take whatever GR said (which is what the Guest told them to begin with) for granted and we are always wrong even if we were right.
That's Karen Empowerment and we can't do our jobs like that.

If they make a scene, our police department will be here in under 5 minutes, guaranteed. My Target's city is very anti-horseshit when it comes to calls from retailers and responds next to immediately.

If they call Guest Relations, only sad part is that they are useless and never back us up, but leadership (District Team Leader and down) take whatever GR said (which is what the Guest told them to begin with) for granted and we are always wrong even if we were right.
That's Karen Empowerment and we can't do our jobs like that.
Oh, I agree with you completely. I wish our store was more like yours.

Oh, I agree with you completely. I wish our store was more like yours.
Ehh, my store is a "Maybe" store but leans more toward a Yes Store.

I'm one of the few who works the SD and will deny a return if the crap is obviously stolen (think crushed boxes even if unopened, mostly for cosmetics and medicines, and always in a Walmart bag) or explain how Merch Cards work or tell them that with an ID I can "attempt" store credit as there is a yearly limit that applies to no receipt returns.

The ones I trained are also nice but firm. But the veterans are like "oh sure!! Let me see your ID. Oh, you said this was $149.99 when you bought it but it says $67.94 and the current selling price is $79.99 with no obvious clearance in the last 120 days? Sure!! Oh, let me just override that "you must exchange" message. Ohh, you've already got a Merch Card with $400+ on it? Of course i can add it to that one instead of giving you a new one as outlined in the Merch Card policy to prevent you from racking up hundreds of dollars on it to turn around and sell it on eBay!"

And it's because of my peers like above that when I follow even 10% of our policies, I'm the asshole.

That's part of the question here, if not implied, is... Is POS incorrect? Does Corporate really want to give less than it did before because they, too, are tired of the BS returns policy they have empowered Guests to abuse?

yes. pos, the 20 year old application, is incorrect.

I only adjust it if it’s an even exchange (open air mattress or open game without a receipt) or something but otherwise that is all they are getting. If they want to complain, I offer a corporate card, tell them my name and to have a wonderful night.
This.

In my district, "by the book" is now take care of the guest no matter what. To my DTL, that would mean changing them all. I really don't care either way, and my AP and ETL-SE also hold the same opinion, so it hasn't been an issue. My store director calls TMs who stick to the policy no matter the circumstances the "Target-trained police force", lol.

Why should there be rules or policies if they aren't meant to be followed?
I'm starting to believe it's to keep the honest guests at bay.
"Oh, gosh, I'm at day 92 of my return. Policy says 90. Oh, well, that's my fault and I'll keep this item and donate or gift it instead of making a scene at my local Target store. Lesson learned!"

For everyone else, the rules are meant to be broken when challenged.
"What do you mean your return policy is 90 days and I claim to have bought this 6 months ago but have no receipt? You better give me in store credit immediately, and don't give me the lowest price, I want full price!!!!!!! You do not want me to call Guest Relations on you, you filthy imbecile Target police wanna-be lookin' ass Guest Service how may I help you today ass Team Member. Get me the price I want. And say no if you want, call your manager over so they can do it because they're so scared of a scathing review from the spineless people at corporate.
And load it on this Merch Card I have that already has $576.89 on it."

I'm starting to believe it's to keep the honest guests at bay.
"Oh, gosh, I'm at day 92 of my return. Policy says 90. Oh, well, that's my fault and I'll keep this item and donate or gift it instead of making a scene at my local Target store. Lesson learned!"

For everyone else, the rules are meant to be broken when challenged.
"What do you mean your return policy is 90 days and I claim to have bought this 6 months ago but have no receipt? You better give me in store credit immediately, and don't give me the lowest price, I want full price!!!!!!! You do not want me to call Guest Relations on you, you filthy imbecile Target police wanna-be lookin' ass Guest Service how may I help you today ass Team Member. Get me the price I want. And say no if you want, call your manager over so they can do it because they're so scared of a scathing review from the spineless people at corporate.
And load it on this Merch Card I have that already has $576.89 on it."
This is what bugs me the most and why I’m generally not adjusting the no receipt return price. I’m not rewarding bad behavior. You don’t have your receipt, be glad we’re offering you anything.

I’ve always resented the way our “policies” reward bad behavior. Our nice shoppers should get the special treatment but it’s the horrible ones that we always have to bend the rules for. It’s just bad business practice.

i strongly believe in making it right for nice guests too

I am so much more likely to make it right for a nice guest than a mean one. I love seeing them smile because they weren’t expecting anything.
On this note: if you get a nice one who just wants an even exchange, have them try looking up the receipt on their card first - even if it's not there, you can still process it as an exchange on their ID instead of store credit as long as you don't back out after looking up the receipt. Just scan their ID when prompted.

On this note: if you get a nice one who just wants an even exchange, have them try looking up the receipt on their card first - even if it's not there, you can still process it as an exchange on their ID instead of store credit as long as you don't back out after looking up the receipt. Just scan their ID when prompted.
Huh, didn’t know that. Thanks for the tip

Does it count against their ID return limit?

You can not do that on apple products after 15 days.

Target Corporate has admitted this was a mistake and asks that we price adjust.
But as is typical, they didn't provide a percentage or further guidance. Thanks, Minneapolis!!

Where did that information come from?
There was no communication at all at my store, and because so much else was changing, everyone just assumed it was the new policy, especially since we were hitting that time of the year that everyone buys nasty ass stuff at garage sales and tries to return it for full price.

Back