Archived No/very low hours how do you survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So besides trying to pick up shifts how do you guys survive when your hours are very low to almost noon existent I had a real scare with almost not being able to pay rent because my one paycheck was for 14 hours, I'm just curious do you guys have another job during low hours or what? If another thing happens where I'm not gonna be able to pay rent I may have to find another job despite liking this one 😥

Go on unemployment, when hours are cut through no fault of your own, you are entitled to it depending on your state. Cut back on luxuries as well. I’ve had to cancel Netflix, Hulu and my Gym membership. Eat cheap, don’t go out to restaurants. It’s tough. Since the end of December I’ve only been getting six hours a week, I’ve only been getting by because I saved up a substantial amount when hours were high.

Edit:
Also yes, another job is a must

Unfortunately Target makes it very hard for most tms to work other jobs because they want open availability.

So I had a part time in 2017 with open availability at Target. I told my second job this and they scheduled me around my target schedule. 🤷‍♀️

So I had a part time in 2017 with open availability at Target. I told my second job this and they scheduled me around my target schedule. 🤷‍♀️

You were lucky your other job was accommodating, I would say the vast majority of people with second jobs, unless the other job was overnight, just couldn’t make it work.

You were lucky your other job was accommodating, I would say the vast majority of people with second jobs, unless the other job was overnight, just couldn’t make it work.

You don't know unless you ask

You don't. I am almost 43 years old and I live with my parents. I tell people that I am helping because my mom is disabled (Which is not false), but really it's because this job doesn't pay a living wage, and unless your name begins with ETL, it never will. I am a precinct election judge, which puts a little extra on the table ($140 per election). For the last few years though, I've lived off other people giving up shifts. Now, nobody has hours to give up, so times are getting hard. Been pounding the pavement harder than before for another job, and I was sending between 1 and 3 resumes a week before.

We have a What's App group chat with a lot of the store. People are trained everywhere, for the most part. This makes communication a lot easier if you want to give up a shift. People who don't want the hours give them up, thus, people who want hours, get hours. It all works out.

We have a What's App group chat with a lot of the store. People are trained everywhere, for the most part. This makes communication a lot easier if you want to give up a shift. People who don't want the hours give them up, thus, people who want hours, get hours. It all works out.

Yeah, about that. I found out that there is a Facebook chat group at our store. The hrtm will post shifts on there. As someone who doesn't have a Facebook profile, I find it problematic to post shifts on there. Yeah, I could create one just for that, but there are people at my store who still use flip phones.

Yeah, about that. I found out that there is a Facebook chat group at our store. The hrtm will post shifts on there. As someone who doesn't have a Facebook profile, I find it problematic to post shifts on there. Yeah, I could create one just for that, but there are people at my store who still use flip phones.
We used to have a Facebook group for ours and it was great. Aside from when TMs would try to private message me asking about shifts... didn't care for that. I would volunteer to post shifts for a few people who didn't have Facebook or just didn't want to interact with any co-workers on social media.
But apparently it was "against policy" or something so it got taken down after a while.

Was there ever a time in Target's history - perhaps long long ago in another generation - when the store-level TMs basically had full-time 40 hours a week hourly status? Obviously this would have been many moons ago but was just wondering..... and not the constant "we're hiring" getting newbies off the street with the effect of further reducing hours?

My store hasn't slashed hours as bad as some report here. My annual pay increased slightly last year. My average hours are decreasing, but it's staying around 30.

We have definitely cut hours overall at the front end, so the job is busier, but remember, front end can be boring when traffic is slow, so keeping busier is a plus.

Was there ever a time in Target's history - perhaps long long ago in another generation - when the store-level TMs basically had full-time 40 hours a week hourly status? Obviously this would have been many moons ago but was just wondering..... and not the constant "we're hiring" getting newbies off the street with the effect of further reducing hours?
Yes. I have been with Spot since 2000, and for a fairly long time, I could reasonably expect to be scheduled 30-40 hours per week. I had the company's health insurance until 2014, which required having average hours of 31.5 or greater. I have never been above TM level (Despite promises of development that were made. You've heard me grunt about that enough).

Cut all unnecessary expenses out, sell stuff you don't use or need anymore, cut a few subscriptions out, keep one around if you *think* you can afford it but I suggest getting rid of all to survive.

Top priorities in this situation is food and transportation after rent is paid. Second job is likely, because even if you can get another 20 hours at the other job, you're now over 24+ hours. Still not enough, but you would more than likely be able to get rent paid. To anyone that is in desperate need of money, definitely look into starting up a service business. My trade happened to be Car Detailing, but if you're good with web development, do/did some coding at home, can edit pictures to look better for clients all across the nation, do that. It's the most valuable form of business because you are providing a useful service to someone who finds it worth it to hire you. It's a win-win, you trade your skills for money, and your client gets a valuable service.

don't need to pay anything for social media marketing, just start up a facebook page and post to local facebook groups and classifieds. If you end up making some money and you decide to put it back into the business you can always buy an ad to advertise yourself. Where it went wrong for me was working at Target and being so dead and drained by the end of the day I would dodge potential clients, not show up to an appointment, and other things. It's physical work but being mentally drained feels 100x worse and makes me want to lay down and watch Youtube.

Last edited:
I was actually informed today that my hours would increase with the new schedule coming up as I transition from inbound to inbound & DBO. However, for those who have limited availability their hours would most likely be reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back