Archived NOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious to find out how you guys take care of your NOP product in the backroom and see what you guys think is the most effective strategy...

I have narrowed it down to 3 ways
1. MySupport it
2. Flex it on endcaps, sidecaps, or inline
3. SIM it and put on a clearance e/c

I'm not sure which way is the best but I feel the SIM option is by far the easiest but it's not best practice.

MySupport is the most effective way because the usually respond back telling you it will activate to an upcoming planogram or they will add it to a markdown for price change.

Flexing it on the sales floor is the most profitable solution (if it sells) but I feel it's so time consuming and sometimes it makes its way back to the backroom if the endcap was killed or planogram was revised.

Headquarters should really come up with a fix for this issue, because a lot of NOP will sit in the backroom for years if you don't catch it.

What do you guys do with your NOP and what do you feel is the best solution??

We flex it out. Its kind of annoying when half the endcaps in the store consist of flexed out product that no one bothers to tie in but it does help to sell the product. It wont sell sitting in the back room

Active nop is for new pogs or sales planners, depending on what it is. Doing a SIM, hurts your store bottom line. My supporting is ineffective. Sweeping it back, maybe a 2nd option.

Is there a way to pull up all NOP product in the back?

Under WorkBench>SalesFloor tab> Backroom Quantity Report (on the right side)
This report will let you search for NOP, Disco, Promo, high quantities, etc. But you can only look at one department at a time.

The other option is to use the Backroom Detail Report under Store Applications. This report can sort all your Disco NOP to the top but active NOP you will have to scroll through all the pages.

I usually use the Quantity report first and then double check the Detail report because sometimes some only show on the Detail report for some reason.

Active nop is for new pogs or sales planners, depending on what it is. Doing a SIM, hurts your store bottom line. My supporting is ineffective. Sweeping it back, maybe a 2nd option.

That is not true for most active NOP, I have seen some in the backroom for more than 6 months. Most items that are on upcoming transitions will show you the planogram # on the MyDevice or PDA. Now Disco NOP has a better chance to adding to the price change workload but that's not always the case.

I once MySupported around 50+ DPCIs and majority of them they responded back saying they would add them to the price change workload. Only 1-2 responded that it was on an upcoming transition. The only thing is it took forever to MySupport those and I didn't even finish sending them all up. Plus it would take 3-6 weeks for it to get added to the PC.

SIM I agree is not the best practice but it's the same thing as the item being clearanced out through MySupport.

Try the Backroom Detail Report. I know you can find discontinued merchandise that way, not sure about active NOP.
It will also show what is nop on the BDR. You can also, run the report by aisle( backroom) etc. We ( at my store) usually just backstock the nop unless there is a lot of it ....then we let the etl/log know and or pog team lead and they take it from there

It may also be an active NOP when it is returned from another store. That's where a lot of ours comes from. So we toss it in our NOP bin and occasionally send it to the backroad, for them to figure out.

The problem with flexing it into the aisles is that if you are 4x4ing the store on a weekly basis, if the 4x4 is done properly it will just end up in the back room again.

It may also be an active NOP when it is returned from another store. That's where a lot of ours comes from. So we toss it in our NOP bin and occasionally send it to the backroad, for them to figure out.
That's frequently what I see, in these cases I have them backstocked and see them come out in a price change a month or so later. IDK if that happens automatically or if there's a process in the back room that makes these appear in a price change, but I'd rather they sit back there in that time period than constantly getting dumped at the price scanners from guests picking them up from a clearance/discontinued endcap thinking it's on clearance. Saves me the trouble of having to put it back, and our guests are too cheap to want it at full price anyway.

I always sent it to MySupport and then flexed it to the floor. We have it, might as well try to sell it.

I'm softlines so idk if it's the same, but if it's something that's actually supposed to have a location (all hanger stuff is nop) and it's nop, it's either new and not set yet or it's old. If it's new and not out yet for whatever reason it gets backstocked. Then when they set it, they get it in their... Umm batch I guess is the word. Or sometimes they tuck it away in the fitting room if they know they'll be setting it the next day. If it's old we just put it with similar items or we leave it in the old spot if possible.

Idk what we're officially supposed to do tbh, but that's what we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
if we have multiple clearance endcaps in the same section we condense and invent our own salesplanner for a week or so.

otherwise we check recent pogs for discontinued and hide that stuff (if there is any) in the price change stage until it goes clr, and put the mess in its spot

I think from reading all of these responses it just makes it more clear that headquarters needs to find a more effective way to process NOF.

I bet if most of you checked on your NOP reports, you would find 100's of items of NOP and a lot that has been sitting in the back for more than 6 months.

otherwise we check recent pogs for discontinued and hide that stuff (if there is any) in the price change stage until it goes clr, and put the mess in its spot
Rofl. Best practice, come in best practice? I see how it makes it easier on the sales floor team, but you guys totally shouldn't be doing this. By hiding it offstage you're doing the opposite of filling the floor, and also the opposite of driving sales by taking away the opportunity for the item to sell at its full price.

SIM it down and then put it on a clearance endcap if you must but even that's not best practice; technically you should be flexing it into aisles or endcaps.

Rofl. Best practice, come in best practice? I see how it makes it easier on the sales floor team, but you guys totally shouldn't be doing this. By hiding it offstage you're doing the opposite of filling the floor, and also the opposite of driving sales by taking away the opportunity for the item to sell at its full price.

SIM it down and then put it on a clearance endcap if you must but even that's not best practice; technically you should be flexing it into aisles or endcaps.

I fully agree, on all points. The dumbass ETLs think its great tho, i gave up arguing with them long ago lol

The problem with flexing to the aisles is that the sales floor would just be pulling it off every week when they do the 4x4. It's such a jacked up circle that we just keep repeating the same work over and over.

The problem with flexing to the aisles is that the sales floor would just be pulling it off every week when they do the 4x4. It's such a jacked up circle that we just keep repeating the same work over and over.

Yea that's what I was thinking. I'll just communicate to everyone in huddles and one on ones to not bring NOP back to the backroom. I think flexing is probably the best and most profitable choice, plus it keeps your floor fuller and backroom lighter.

Communication is the key with tl/etl, is the key for success.

Another thing I try to do is flex out transition items into the aisle that it will be setting in once it comes off the truck instead of just staging it and waiting weeks for plano to set it. To me I rather flex new product down a MPG aisle rather than spreading and flexing a bunch of the same items, just for it to come back as backstock once the aisle is set.

Do any of you guys do this at your stores?

My store is going to revert to an old practice of red dotting PTM/NOP items. Should help. We'll see because it will depend on communication and consistency, neither of which are strong points at my store.

I have used SIM to get rid of the online return crap. I have taken sequential markdowns just to get rid of it, even though best practice is one markdown a week. If that were the case a lot of the stuff would be around for over a month. A online slipcover will not sell at $89 or a set of chairs for $169. That is not an impulse buy. Build the chairs and take them to $35 apiece and the slipcover to $25. Next day gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back