OB Question

Although Spot experimented with variable prod, (higher prod... never lower); it's always easier to make prod when busy, like fall season vs now when numbers drop. This is every department. Not just outbound. The less numbers to be had means the less numbers you can get. The OMs know this. Just do your best. OMs still mention being productive at Start Up but if an OM is personally giving you grief about numbers now... then chances are they were looking to get rid of you before now. Just a heads up.

It could be worse, you could be doing lanes at a UDC, just an endless sea of green boxes, car seats and air conditioners I’d imagine.

Dont worry, this is what we communicate to our OMs constantly. Travel time between lanes is the number one killer of prod in OB.

The biggest tip I can give any body is to never panic about yellow light. Stay in the lane you are in and knock it down at least untill the door of the trailer. Then move to the lane that is yellow and knock it down fully. If you just do that and actually hustle a little you should be able to catch up if you are only running 100%.

Its the guys who rush between yellows only doing a handful of boxes to take the light off before moving to their next yellow that end up miserably behind all day. You cant afford to waste any more time than necessary walking.

Hopefully your OMs are taking into account if it's a high volume UDC day. With the All In Motion launch we took 5 UDCs the other day (our typical max is 3). And yes it does suck. But the nice thing about UDC repacks is that they are just as quick to knock down as they are to build up.

By the way are you really running 11 doors already? My DC is still pushing out unusually large volumes for this time of year. Most I have had so far was 6 and that was putting me at 130%.

Although Spot experimented with variable prod, (higher prod... never lower); it's always easier to make prod when busy, like fall season vs now when numbers drop. This is every department. Not just outbound. The less numbers to be had means the less numbers you can get. The OMs know this. Just do your best. OMs still mention being productive at Start Up but if an OM is personally giving you grief about numbers now... then chances are they were looking to get rid of you before now. Just a heads up.
This is also the time of year they talk about working till the bell and scan gaps (in other departments).

Back