Archived Offered Team Lead position ? "The Bench" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked at Target for about 2 Years. I used to be on the Sales Floor for a year and a year later switched to P Fresh. I eventually got promoted to a PA so I've been a PA for about 4 months. Well yesterday, one of the Team Leads came up to me and asked me "How would you like to be a Team Lead ?" I said "I would love to be one" and he said "Well we have this thing called 'The Bench' and you can basically relate it to sports kinda like a 6th man. Basically they'll groom you to be a Team Lead and let's say I Quit, then you would be the next Team Lead. They'll talk to you more about it next week but I just needed to find out if you were interested cause we had a meeting about it today and I suggested you to be the next" So I'm confused. Does this basically mean I have the next Team Lead position on lock ? Or is someone gonna get fired soon ? I'm a little confused as to what this may be ?

First off, Welcome to the breakroom.

By no means do you have the position on lock. This basically means that Leader sees potential in you and he would like to start developing you into a better leader and most likely globalizing you as well. Being global is something I think any 'good' leader at Target is. In the stores I work at the STL's ask their leads to mentor a team member so this could have been directed down or just something this TL wanted to do. No matter the situation it's good if you want to become a TL at Target but don't be bummed if the next spot or two doesn't go to you, most of the time it takes a few tries.

Good luck!

Greetings and salutations.

Can't add too much to what allthingstarget said but yea, don't count your chickens.
But it does mean you have at least one person who sees your potential and wants to make sure you know the store well enough to step up.
Start trying to learn as much as you can about the other departments on your own.
Being motivated goes a long way.

Sadly I know plenty of people "on the bench" have been passed over all the time for others including those from the outside. Not to say this will be the case with you just be aware never believe anything they tell you until the day it actualy happens. Even if they are on the up and up the real problem is Team Lead positions are elimitated every year with this new Target so you often have to many Team Leads at the start of every year although lately they seem to be quiting in numbers I have never seen before. Best of luck to you, I hope you are in well run store with good leadership. If that is the case things may work out for you.

You also need to pass TL interviews to get on the bench so that when a position opens up you're ready to go!

Leadership is seeing you as an opportunity to cultivate as a TL, however until you pass your interviews and get the check off you have nothing to latch onto. If you seriously want to be a TL then definitely show some initiative and work with them on what you can do to be considered ready for assessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back