Archived Older people throwing the truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brobley

rubberball busted
I know Target tries to be blind to age and gender and all the protected categories. I have never seen a woman throw the truck, though. Does that happen at any of your stores? What about older people? I'm turning 47 next month, have thrown the truck twice recently and hope to again once in a while (great exercise).

Do you think the ETLs think I'm younger than I am, or it's typical to have anyone of any age throw the truck, or they try to make everyone do it to understand the process, or they seem to put you at things you like doing? What are the criteria, or are there any?

It's my experience that they put people where they think they will perform best. There are people at my store that have been around for years that have never thrown a truck or worked anywhere on the line. I'm a younger female of small stature and have tossed my share of trucks. We have an older female that does at least three days a week in the trucks. Mostly, though, I think when it's an over abundance of young guys in the truck they believe that they can deal with the stress of bending and lifting better than someone older. If you want to throw the truck more often just ask! Everyone needs a break now and then.

Absolutely do it. Tell your TL to put you in, embarrass some kids.

We've had only around three or so women on the truck that I know about in the past three or so years. We have a few older guys that do better than the young guys. The problem with young guys is complacency, if you're better than them, show everyone.

in my store, we had one girl that did ocasonally after people heard her bragging about hitting the gym, she wasn't very good at it and i constantly had to slow down when i was in there with her. As for "old people", as in 40 and up, they only get put in the truck if no else shows up lol

We have the the normal truck throwers, which is me and 3 other guys. We switch every 30mins, and the 2 who aren;t throwing take off softlines/plastics and such. If one of us are off, or calls out, they usually get a specific guy from the back that's doing pulls. In my experience, throwing the truck takes certain...effort? We have plenty of guys but most are fat (no offence), Nerdish, and the ones that aren;t struggle to lift even cat litter or is short which slows the process down. I'm all down for equallity but we can't afford to just put random people on truck to support it. If you can show that you have the strength to do it, that's awesome. But people who only do softlines, HBA or is on the heavy side you'll never seen on the truck. The ETL would hop before they'd let that happen.

I personally don't care who is on truck, if we fail, it doesn't fall back on me

I challenge anyone on my team to a "throw off".I am on the other side of 50 and when people complain and say they were going as fast as they could and that I had no idea how hard it was I challenge them. I have only beaten once, by a 60 year old dude on my team. Its a cardio workout and I will put anyone in there that wants to try. I HATE when people are told they cannot do a job because they are female, too old, too short etc. If you want to try,I'll give you a shot.

our FLow TL is a woman and she throws truck all the time. Our ETL LOG is also a woman and she throws once in awhile.

When the flats arrive for FA & SB, I'll throw with the best of them & I'm well past 50+. I've climbed up a ladder with heavy boxes when necessary but I don't let my pride rule me when the youngsters are here.

I started working at Target in my late mid-forties. I threw the truck for about a year after scanning it and pushing the line. I was at a disadvantage, though, since I'm barely 5 feet tall. I never had any issues and moved out to the floor as a bowler before leaving flow. I liked the exercise - lost a lot of weight and my arms looked awesome! (now I climb ladders a lot while pulling, so they're still not bad and it's 10 years later.) You're only as old and weak as you allow yourself to become.

The one PA at my store is over 50 and they run circles around half the people in the store on a daily basis. No issues with anything. I'm probably half the age and this guy seriously kicks my ass.

Of course, we also have some older people elsewhere in the store that have issues even comprehending how to use a PDA...

Equal pay laws mean everyones the same no matter what they're ability to get work done is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back