Archived Oldest TL/GSA You've Seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker51

Senior Team Member
Let's flip the "Youngest TL/GSA You've Seen?" thread on its head.

I've seen TL's in their 60's, including GSTL's, some who stepped down from the ETL role later in their career.

Just curious what is the oldest GSA you've seen? My store has two part-time GSA's, one male and one female, who are probably each approaching 50 years old, who have been with the store for a few years and rose through the ranks as cashiers and guest service TM's. Both were able to convince leadership that they could bring experience and long-term loyalty to the job, and as a result, the store filled what would have been a "full" time open-availability GSA position with two half-timers. Both have at least part-time jobs outside of Target and mostly work evenings/weekends, so are not necessarily on the GSTL development track. I observe that they are friendly to their team and well-respected, but maintain a certain amount of dignity and social distance on the job due to their age difference from most front-end TM's. They also display a strong work ethic from life experience and maturity, and as a result, they lead effectively by example. The rest of our GSA's are also high quality and hard working, but are the usual, open-availability, full-time, kind in their 20's and 30's. The whole team of GSA's and GSTL's seems to work together really well.

Anything similar to this at your store?

Last edited:
One our GSAs is in her 40s, and I think a few of our TLs are in their 50s.

Had a 71 year old gsa retire at my old store. He only worked 20 hours a week in order to keep his social security.

To be honest most older team members are too smart to take or stay in the GSA position. Too much cheerleading required for the position and the pay sucks.

My ETL GE who treats GSAs like currency says she hires young GSAs because

a) they are desperate to impress and try to promote so they do what the LOD tells them to do

B) they work hard until they burn out and are easily replaceable

Had a 71 year old gsa retire at my old store. He only worked 20 hours a week in order to keep his social security.

To be honest most older team members are too smart to take or stay in the GSA position. Too much cheerleading required for the position and the pay sucks.

My ETL GE who treats GSAs like currency says she hires young GSAs because

a) they are desperate to impress and try to promote so they do what the LOD tells them to do

B) they work hard until they burn out and are easily replaceable

How effective was the 71 year old in his position?

You mentioned this churn-and-burn army of yes-men/women tactic in another thread. I don't see that working effectively long-term in our district. We have a nearly fully-employed economy and have trouble hiring and retaining, so don't really have an infinite supply of fresh recruits. In fact, the store was willing to go with the two half timers due to challenges finding a good full-timer either inside or outside the company. Seems also that this ETL-GE is not only burning through resources, and not seeing the resources he might have in other demographics, he or she is potentially exposing the company to an age discrimination lawsuit. If you are the ETL-HR, you are potentially being a willing and knowing party to this.

How effective was the 71 year old in his position?

He was a pretty poor gsa. Wasn't very good at "killing them with kindness." Lots of our negative yelp and Google reviews were about how rude he was.

He was fine at Red Cards but with NPS being the number one metric for the front now I'm not sure he would last very long in the new Target.

We have a nearly fully-employed economy

I'm on the left coast where there are tech companies giving fresh out of college students six figures. Target will always appeal to those who don't finish high school, those who don't go to college and those in college. Every now and then we get those with bachelor degrees but for the most part if you don't have a degree in expensive cities unless you went to trade scholl you generally work retail/food/service.

Seems also that this ETL-GE is not only burning through resources, and not seeing the resources he might have in other demographics, he or she is potentially exposing the company to an age discrimination lawsuit.

Nah, as I said before we aren't getting older applicants for gsa. Most of our gsas are minimum wage team members (hardlines or cashier) in their late teens and mid 20s looking to promote.

I also don't see how you can accuse her of discrimination when she's hiring these young folks who are the only ones applying for the job. Not like shes passimg over 40 year old applicants because they aren't 20.

I think she knows what it takes to get the job done up front. Someone with energy, a smile and is willing to work extremely hard for low pay. If there is any bone to pick, it's with corporate for undervaluing the position and driving away most older applicants.

We did have one older applicant for gsa in her mid 50s now that I think about it when one quit for maternity but she was a good cashier who thought that would make her a good GSA (spoiler, it doesnt)

Last edited:
We have two TLs in their 40s. Everyone else is under 30, including 4 ETLs.

We have a produce TL in their 60's. Meat and Sbux are in their 50's I believe.

The majority of out TLs are 50 and older. I know of two that are over 60. We have one TL in her 20s and two in their 30s. We've seen it all come and go. And then come again. We know what works and what doesn't. We know what we have to make work and know what won't last. It's been pretty rough these last few months, but all in all, we can work it out and get it done. I must add, we have a very strong ETL team also. They are out there busting their butts with us. Even the STL.

I'm on the left coast where there are tech companies giving fresh out of college students six figures.

Six figures for very specific degrees (e.g., computer science, engineering) from top schools, usually with prior competitive internship experience while in school, in exchange for 80-100 hour workweeks, and likely career burnout/ageout in 10 to 20 years. Outside of that narrow demographic, I suspect college graduates in other majors, and those older and experienced who want work/life balance, can make much less.

Target will always appeal to those who don't finish high school, those who don't go to college and those in college. Every now and then we get those with bachelor degrees but for the most part if you don't have a degree in expensive cities unless you went to trade school you generally work retail/food/service.

Or sales, or hospitality (e.g., hotel/restaurant management), or local government. There's lots of non-college, non-trade-school jobs where you can climb the ladder through hard work, often making more than some college graduates. Also, our district generally doesn't hire high school dropouts. If it's an employer's market where you are, why hire them over graduates?

It's a false dichotomy to imply that the labor market is divided between college-graduate with six-figure income and high-school graduate making minimum wage. Lots of gray in-between. Also beyond full-time career people, those looking for semi-retirement, part-time, flexible, military spouse, and/or child-friendly work.

Nah, as I said before we aren't getting older applicants for gsa. Most of our gsas are minimum wage team members (hardlines or cashier) in their late teens and mid 20s looking to promote.

I also don't see how you can accuse her of discrimination when she's hiring these young folks who are the only ones applying for the job. Not like shes passimg over 40 year old applicants because they aren't 20.

Target may not be completely off the hook with the "but no one applies!" excuse. Bias can crop up in other subtle ways. She's already made her opinions known to at least one other person that she prefers younger applicants. Does she overlook the talents in others, fail to mentor/develop them, not announce openings widely enough, or not encourage others to apply?

I think she knows what it takes to get the job done up front. Someone with energy, a smile and is willing to work extremely hard for low pay.

Until they burn out and leave. Young, inexperienced, low-paid employees can also negate their lower cost by making more expensive mistakes or not staying long enough to recoup their training and development investment.

Also, our district generally doesn't hire high school dropouts

Target doesn't verify education for team members so I am sure you have plenty of drop outs employed in your district.

It's a false dichotomy to imply that the labor market is divided between college-graduate with six-figure income and high-school graduate making minimum wage

Again, you can't compare my cities economy to yours (unless they are actually) Not every economy had a large middle class. Many tech cities have a growing economic divide between the upper class and poverty level. I take it you haven't been to San Francisco or Seattle?

while in school, in exchange for 80-100 hour workweeks, and likely career burnout/ageout in 10 to 20 years.

Again it depends where you work. Plenty of companies offer great work life balance. Weekends off, generous paid vacation make up for longer work weeks. While low wage workers get little to no paid time off. See how many hours you have to work to get 2 weeks off at Target.

Until they burn out and leave. Young, inexperienced, low-paid employees can also negate their lower cost by making more expensive mistakes or not staying long enough to recoup their training and development investment.

Except in retail the investment is a complete crapshoot. Great employees will always move on to better paying fields. That's kind of how our economy works.

Last edited:
I'm not 50 but close, no longer at Target either, there is still an older lady front lanes where I used to be, maybe 60's her husband died and she never worked but decided to do part time for a bit. Everyone likes her and she has the craziest stories.

That's what I'm seeing on here, and it cracks me up, apparently I'm old, but in real life I look twenty-something.

I don't think I've seen a TL older than 25.

I don't think I've seen a TL older than 25.

Yikes.

We have a lot of young ETLs but our team leads are definitely older.

ETLs come and go but a good team lead can be at the same store 15-20 years

Target doesn't verify education for team members so I am sure you have plenty of drop outs employed in your district.
How does Target even phrase that question? I'm a high school dropout, but I have my GED and an associate's degree, so my highest level of education achieved is college graduate. If that's how Target phrased the question, I don't even know they're aware I didn't graduate high school. Or they know and don't care because I got through community college.

Again, you can't compare my cities economy to yours (unless they are actually) Not every economy had a large middle class. Many tech cities have a growing economic divide between the upper class and poverty level. I take it you haven't been to San Francisco or Seattle?
Lots of urban California stores can barely hire right now, though. There just aren't enough people willing to accept minimum wage or close to it where I live. Every store I've worked for has had issues with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back