Archived One thing I never quite understand about Target....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get we have to cut hrs I get that but scheduling people for for less than 4 hr shifts? Come on....... I think that is a little:wacko: I am hearing about that more and more. It just seems a bit silly especially for those team members and there are quite of a few of them that do not have the luxury some of us that have cars and have to rely on public transportation it is almost silly to take a bus for a 3 hr shift or a 4 hr shift. Am I the only one that thinks 3 hr or 4 hr shifts are a little crazy? Opinions? Hrs are hrs to me but when you hear so many team members saying I am working a small shift today I almost kinda feel bad for them........

no see it's great because it makes it easier for them to achieve a work life balance. I hope those 4 hour shifters were greatful enough to donate money to the united way too! There are actually less fortunate people out there!

Oops I just realized I said understand instead of understood.... :angry:

The only people at my store that get those crappy 4 hour shifts are the ones who have terrible availability and they still want to give them hours but its hard to always fit them in.

At my store they hired a TON of college kids (significantly more new hires than we had for seasonal) thus cutting down the hours of those who have been at Target forever and will stay here forever. It doesn't seem too fair to them since the college kids will only be here for two or three months. We even have two girls whose hours got cut from 35 to 12 and they both happen to be pregnant and now, job searching.

See that way they can go to the unemployment office and get tax payer support for Spots under employment.

The only TMs in my store who get shifts that are less than 4 hours long are minors, recently-turned-18 cashiers who still get 3.5s because our HR TL is a dunce, and sometimes the Starbucks closers get 3s.

The only people at my store that get those crappy 4 hour shifts are the ones who have terrible availability and they still want to give them hours but its hard to always fit them in.

They cAll out or ncns most of the time.

Not all of the people who receive those lame 4 hour shifts are barely 18, irresponsible or have a horrible availability. I'm neither of those and I have open availability during this time. So it's Target beig dumb. Days like these, I try not to plan anything incase I get asked to come in earlier or extend, but I have to say no at times. I can't evolve my life around Target. If you know it's a weekend and it's bad, schedule me a long shift!

They cAll out or ncns most of the time.

Then we term them and get somebody with availability not so terrible.

Its seriously gotten bad at my store. People get hired on with open availability and once they make their 90 days they reduce their availability to only the most ideal shifts that everyone else want then whine about only getting 12 hours.

Let them ncns. Less paper work to do when they're termed.

I think it's completely wrong to schedule anyone for a 3 or 4 hour shift. It's just not worth coming in for that short of a shift.
I do think it's nice for Target; they can always ask those tm to stay longer or come in earlier.

I have been noticing that our store seems to be hiring many more team members and giving them all two shifts a week.
Then the team members who have been getting a decent amount of hours forever are getting hours cut.

IMHO, soon only the TL and ETL's will be able to get the insurance due to our average hours being so low.

I think it's completely wrong to schedule anyone for a 3 or 4 hour shift. It's just not worth coming in for that short of a shift.
I do think it's nice for Target; they can always ask those tm to stay longer or come in earlier.

I have been noticing that our store seems to be hiring many more team members and giving them all two shifts a week.
Then the team members who have been getting a decent amount of hours forever are getting hours cut.

IMHO, soon only the TL and ETL's will be able to get the insurance due to our average hours being so low.

I think you mean that soon only ETLs will get insurance because they're yanking it away from everyone else.

When my hours are down even a little from 40 it kills my budget... I can't complain to my team lead because I get more hours then most, but it is wearing me down, especially when my workload and expectations stay the same.... Sure I can do wha t I normally do in 8 hours in five....

The saddest part is the united way had a rep in to talk to us today and she kept quoting all kind of statistics about poverty and how so many are working And holding jobs...... Ummmmm HELLLOOOOOO..... Why do you think tm's are so ticked when they get asked for money, when we are the working poor?????!!!!! Ohhhh
Today was so rough, and another job possibility just fizzled out and I'm back to square one.... So disappointed.

Sorry guys

Hours are tight that is true. One thing though I don't think a lot of people realize is that the stores do need to have enough people to cover vacations and weekends. Right now we are hiring simply because we don't have enough people to cover when team members need a weekend off. No one wants to work every weekend, so you need to have some one to cover. As a GSTL I loved the 4 hour shifts. If you have a call out, it is easier to get by without coverage for 4 hours than 8 hours. Not to mention how lunches and breaks kill the front end. On the salesfloor however I prefer to have team members for 8 hour shifts. They are more willing to really own an area.

When my hours are down even a little from 40 it kills my budget... I can't complain to my team lead because I get more hours then most, but it is wearing me down, especially when my workload and expectations stay the same.... Sure I can do wha t I normally do in 8 hours in five....

The saddest part is the united way had a rep in to talk to us today and she kept quoting all kind of statistics about poverty and how so many are working And holding jobs...... Ummmmm HELLLOOOOOO..... Why do you think tm's are so ticked when they get asked for money, when we are the working poor?????!!!!! Ohhhh
Today was so rough, and another job possibility just fizzled out and I'm back to square one.... So disappointed.

Sorry guys

Don't be.

Sorry you're having to go through it.

I don't know how many ways we can go about trying to get across the point that Spot is creating some of the very people UW is trying to help.

I gladly put not donating on my United Way form. I don't plan on being with Spot past August, so it was an easy decision.

I got scheduled 12 hours for the whole week 2 weeks ago and tried to pick up shifts like crazy, but to no avail. I just checked my direct deposit and I nearly cried. I can only hope my next check is better or I won't be able to pay my bills. :(

I haven't donated to United Way in years, never had any problems from management about it. They want me to start doing that again they can give me my hours with some sort of reliability. Target just isn't interested in having good reliable team members, they want high turn over and less benefits to pay out.

no see it's great because it makes it easier for them to achieve a work life balance. I hope those 4 hour shifters were greatful enough to donate money to the united way too! There are actually less fortunate people out there!

Your sarcasm never ceases to make me piss myself in uncontrollable fits of laughter.

Speaking of UW, I thought I was going to nearly dodge having to sign anything for them (due to my last day has now come and gone), but sure enough a couple days ago before my last day, my TL said "hey I need you to sign something, but you can just put no on it". We had a big laugh about how they can't take money from me anymore since Spot and I have now went separate ways. Don't get me wrong, I love giving to charities when I can, and I even gave to UW when I first came to Spot, but times got tough and I needed every dollar I could get. But I 100% agree with you on the turnover rate!

I have total open availability and I will get those cursed 4 hour shifts. In my case it's because they need the coverage and know that I live less than 3 miles away. I hate them! Mostly because they are usually from 3 to 7 and it just breaks my day up too much, can't get anything done before or after. I may be changing my availability soon though. I usually close and one other family member needs to be at work at 10PM and we only have one car. We don't have mass transit in my town so I either have to get a cab which costs about $8 one way or jockey getting someone else in the family to work at 10PM. This wasn't a problem until recently because I worked fa and would open most days and those days I did close I was always out no later than 9:15. With the lack of hours though I worry that my hours will be drastically cut since I want to get out no later than 9:30.

After getting my hrs cuts & a .23 raise, I was gunning for my ETL-HR when she asked me what I was planning to pledge this yr to UW.
I told her that - until my hrs were consistant & I was earning more than quarter raises - not only would UW not get a red cent from me, but I'd in all likelyhood be applying from an agency in their umbrella group.
She leaves me alone now.

After getting my hrs cuts & a .23 raise, I was gunning for my ETL-HR when she asked me what I was planning to pledge this yr to UW.
I told her that - until my hrs were consistant & I was earning more than quarter raises - not only would UW not get a red cent from me, but I'd in all likelyhood be applying from an agency in their umbrella group.
She leaves me alone now.

that's what I am talking about - - thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back