Archived One Week Notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been working at Target Starbucks for about four months now and am going to put in my notice today. I was reached out to by a previous manager from a job that I loved and she was offering me my job back and wants to put me on the schedule asap. I've been looking for another job anyways just because my experience working for Target Starbucks has been...stressful? I was promised 30+ hours but for the first three and a half months was only being scheduled 8-10 hours a week, 18 at the absolute most. Other members on my team (that were hired at the same time I was) were no call no shows several times, I covered their shifts (among others that were offered to me) and when the new schedule came about, the no call no shows still had more hours than I did. This was frustrating considering I was covering their shifts, staying hours late and coming in hours early - it simply felt like I wasn't doing enough. On top of that, I've been left alone for hours with a line out the door at least 90% of my shifts. Don't get me wrong, the staff are friendly and polite but after four months of this, I'm exhausted and stressed out. I've considered staying and pushing through but I've heard from several team leads and other employees that nothing really seems to get better. Of course, every situation is different but hearing other people say that things don't change make me cautious. With my old manager wanting to put me on the schedule as soon as possible, I was planning on putting in a one week notice instead of two? Usually at this time in the week, the schedule isn't out yet and I figured that one week is better than nothing. Does anyone know how this would be handled or what I can expect? I have always put in a two weeks notice but this time around, it just doesn't seem like I can.

From my experience one week is more than a lot of people give. Our HR assistant gave 2 day notice and our logistics ETL gave a weeks notice. A lot of people just quit or they put their two weeks in and stop showing up. If a week is all you can give it's better than nothing. As a TL I'd hope you showed up through the end of your notice though....

I would try my best to put in two weeks notice if possible just in case you need to come back to Target and you won't be listed as non-rehireable. I understand your frustration with the scheduling and that you haven't been getting the hours that you should be getting, but you never know if you will need Target again. I also have to ask about this previous job that you would like to go back to. Why are they so desperate to have you back that they won't let you give two weeks notice to Target Starbucks? Were there any problems at the old job? I would consider these things before putting in my two weeks notice.

From my experience one week is more than a lot of people give. Our HR assistant gave 2 day notice and our logistics ETL gave a weeks notice. A lot of people just quit or they put their two weeks in and stop showing up. If a week is all you can give it's better than nothing. As a TL I'd hope you showed up through the end of your notice though....
Absolutely - I feel guilty not giving the two weeks but I would never, ever walk out or not finish working my notice.

I would try my best to put in two weeks notice if possible just in case you need to come back to Target and you won't be listed as non-rehireable. I understand your frustration with the scheduling and that you haven't been getting the hours that you should be getting, but you never know if you will need Target again. I also have to ask about this previous job that you would like to go back to. Why are they so desperate to have you back that they won't let you give two weeks notice to Target Starbucks? Were there any problems at the old job? I would consider these things before putting in my two weeks notice.
The business I worked for previously was badly damaged by a natural disaster and had to shut down last year which is when I was forced to leave and started working at Target. Now that business has been bought out by a new owner, completely re-done and they're giving the employees the opportunity to come back and work. Different owner, same manager and she said that she wanted to take me back in a heartbeat. I was upset to leave and heartbroken for the owner at the time and I'm so excited to be offered a job back. Like I said, I feel guilty about only giving one week but it's a wonderful opportunity that I don't want to miss.

The business I worked for previously was badly damaged by a natural disaster and had to shut down last year which is when I was forced to leave and started working at Target. Now that business has been bought out by a new owner, completely re-done and they're giving the employees the opportunity to come back and work. Different owner, same manager and she said that she wanted to take me back in a heartbeat. I was upset to leave and heartbroken for the owner at the time and I'm so excited to be offered a job back. Like I said, I feel guilty about only giving one week but it's a wonderful opportunity that I don't want to miss.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened at your previous business and don't get me wrong, I am genuinely happy for you since the business has been re-done and you have the chance to work with the same manager who really seemed to like you. For your sake though, I just wish they let you know about this opportunity earlier so that you wouldn't be in this conundrum.

A week is better than nothing which is what they get most of the time. Just be honest that this isn't what you want and you would not have left the previous job had it not shut down due to natural disaster. If they are adults they will be cool with that, if not that pettiness is something they deserve.

Go do what you want. :)

For your sake though, I just wish they let you know about this opportunity earlier so that you wouldn't be in this conundrum.

That's awesome you get to go back to a job you liked!! Congratulations on being sought out by your old manager, that means a lot.

I have to say I'm feeling @Hope4Future on not giving two weeks. For one, you will probably be marked unrehireable. You may be thinking you're never going back anyway but Target is a great second job or even seasonal for extra money someday in your future.

The other thing I'm questioning is why a manager wouldn't understand you needing to do the right thing and work out a 2 week notice. That manager would like that courtesy and I always side eye someone not extending that courtesy. It's not unethical but it not professional.

But maybe it's you wanting to leave, and I get that!! I can see why you would be feeling very Get me out!! Lol!!

All that to say do what is best for you and don't let anyone pressure you to compromise your ethics.

All that to say do what is best for you and don't let anyone pressure you to compromise your ethics.

Also don't let anyone pressure you to compromise your livelihood. If the good job will disappear if you can't meet their starting date, don't let it disappear. I've heard of other good jobs that had a need for an employee less than two weeks out. A coworker in a previous job interviewed for receptionist/clerical at an insurance company, great money for the position type, great benefits; she interviewed on a Thursday and they gave her a firm starting date of Monday, take it or leave it, no extension given for a two weeks' notice.

[/QUOTE]
Also don't let anyone pressure you to compromise your livelihood. If the good job will disappear if you can't meet their starting date, don't let it disappear. I've heard of other good jobs that had a need for an employee less than two weeks out. A coworker in a previous job interviewed for receptionist/clerical at an insurance company, great money for the position type, great benefits; she interviewed on a Thursday and they gave her a firm starting date of Monday, take it or leave it, no extension given for a two weeks' notice.

I get what you are saying and basically agree. But, I think it is unprofessional to not allow someone to do right by their current employer in order to work for the new one. They know they are screwing someone else to get what they want.

Last edited:
Actually the whole two week notice/rehireable is subjective. If they do not like you they can still list you as non-rehirable regardless if you put in your two weeks. I put in my three weeks from my first time leaving Target. HR wanted me to stay another week and acted like I did not give appropriate consideration to their situation. When I came back to Target about a year later, low and behold, the HR at my new store indicated that in the system I was marked as non-rehirable. Even with that they still hired me because they needed my skill set and experience. So basically do what is best for you that is conducive to you going forward in your career path. If you can stay two weeks that is fine but if your new job wants you tomorrow you say bye to Target today.

If you’re happy going back to that job and don’t see coming back to target ever, who cares about 2 weeks. You do you. Look out for yourself, not spot. Yes 2 weeks is the respectful way to go. But so what.

If your HR is cool with you, be honest and have a one-on-one.
I've seen people talk with HR about giving a single day's notice to resign and even got their job back 8 months later. BUT they did manage to get every shift they had covered before hand.
Its a give and take kind of situation and your mileage may vary.
Either way, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back