Archived Open Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info and knowledge everyone!! I’m stellar team member I received the superhero of the month recently!!

Is trying to crosstrain in other areas worth further pursuing or should I just stick with softlines?

This is where you have them by the balls , tell other etl once my regular ETL has written my schedule can you add me on your team if you have any hours left over?

Or have them add you and make your softlines tl write around your other shifts.

If you have ETLs fighting for you it's possible to get 40 hours

Last edited:
This! The more you know the more valuable you are. If you're leadership can only schedule one person in a block of time do they schedule the person who only knows how to do one thing or the person who knows how to do everything? They'll go with the latter every time because the fewer people you can put on the floor the more versatile they need to be.

The other thing is open availability doesn't mean you get 40 hours.

Do the math if we have 10 hardlines team members, and there are 180 hours. If you're getting 25 hours you are doing pretty good.

Pretty hard to get 32 plus hours this time of year unless you are plano, signing, ap, hr, beauty, PA, market or a team lead.

The other thing is open availability doesn't mean you get 40 hours.

Do the math if we have 10 hardlines team members, and there are 180 hours. If you're getting 25 hours you are doing pretty good.

Pretty hard to get 32 plus hours this time of year unless you are plano, signing, ap, hr, beauty, PA, market or a team lead.

I'm a combination of A&A and Plano along with Logistics. Also qualified in backroom, front end, and trained in Price Accuracy. I tend to get 30+ hours a week even this time of year. Though next week might be low even for me. Most of the people I know who keep decent hours wear a multiple of hats and can cover more than one work center. So yeh....

I'm a combination of A&A and Plano along with Logistics. Also qualified in backroom, front end, and trained in Price Accuracy. I tend to get 30+ hours a week even this time of year. Though next week might be low even for me. Most of the people I know who keep decent hours wear a multiple of hats and can cover more than one work center. So yeh....

Good on you for being cross trained. I have gotten people work in as many as four different work centers in one week.

Even people who are cross trained don't get the hours. The hours are so short in SL that they can't schedule me over there. So sometimes being cross trained means nothing.
I know salesfloor (SL & HL) cashier, flow and GS......still am only getting less than 20 hours/ week. BTW....I do have almost complete open availability.....can 't work past 5pm on Tuesday nights. So....I ought to be getting more than 15-18 hours/week.

Even people who are cross trained don't get the hours. The hours are so short in SL that they can't schedule me over there. So sometimes being cross trained means nothing.
I know salesfloor (SL & HL) cashier, flow and GS......still am only getting less than 20 hours/ week. BTW....I do have almost complete open availability.....can 't work past 5pm on Tuesday nights. So....I ought to be getting more than 15-18 hours/week.

What's your relationship with the schedule writers?

My SL knows that I am always looking for hours so he'll tell his team to let me know if they need a shift covered....he doesn't have enough hours for his area let alone trying to give hours to people who aren't in his area. He's mentioned time and time again to our HR that he could use extra help on truck unload in the mornings....but now those few hours are for his team only. (Especially since unload is more efficient than it used to be.)

I'm not even sure who writes the cashiers schedule anymore.....clerical HR used to do it and she'd keep an eye out for me to get me over thirty hours, but now I think our ETL-HR does the scheduling.

After ETL-HR checks the schedule it is our STL who does the "tweaking" and it is clear who her favorites are......and I'm not one of them!! Once, I asked about my hours (20+) and a new TM and why she always seemed to get 40 hours each week (more hours than our GSTLs who only get 38)....I wanted to know what that TM had and I didn't. Well, at first STL said that I shouldn't be concerned about others schedules and then it was probably due to availability and I told her I of my availability. She then said that perhaps I ought to look at my work reviews and decide if I am performing my best.....and that would probably explain my lack of hours.

Anyway....two schedules after I talked to the STL that 40 hour TM went down to just 35 hours a week. Hmmm.....TM is still getting more hours, but at least not the 40 like she did before.

I mentioned that half of our TMs are getting less than 20 hours a week....but this newer TM is one who gets well over the 20 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back